Dog Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Right now we have two options for a fence for Loki.. A welded wire fence or an invisible. My fiance is leaning towards the invisible fence and I'm leaning towards the wired fence. I think with training, Loki won't try to jump it.. I'm not really worried about that though, since he isn't ever out for long by himself anyways. He can barely jump up into the car or on our bed which is 2ft off the ground.. He's not getting much bigger either.

Our breeder suggested the welded wire fence to us as an affordable solution to fencing and I just prefer it.

I'm basically just trying to sell my fiance on it.. Though If there's any reasons why a welded wire fence is bad, please let me know your reasons why. I'm mainly just looking for a visual and physical barrier for Loki when we are playing with him outside.

Search Results for welded fencing wire at The Home Depot

That's basically the kind of product I'm looking at for it.. Either 3ft or 4ft.

So questions/concerns:

- That it won't look great.
- How well does it hold up if installed properly? Do they easily get bent and give away due to the weather?
- My fiance is concerned mowing the lawn along the fence line will be a pain or impossible.. We only have a lawn mower as well.
- Our back yard is partially rocky terrain and my fiance is convinced there's going to be a rock in every single spot we try to put a post.. The only visible rocks are towards the middle or middle back of the yard. If posts need to be every 7-8 feet from each other.. I think we'll be fine, but I kind of see his point..

My fiance says we'll need to get a land surveyor out to the house and figure out where to do it if we do an above ground fence, which will be pricy. A neighbor on one side has a shrubs along the split between our yards and we're friendly with him.. I'm pretty sure anywhere beyond that is our property, unless he decided to plant some lovely shrubs for us! Our other neighbor informed us last summer a tree that we thought was his, is actually ours. I'm pretty sure it's /right/ on the border and I think we could just use that as a guideline. I feel like he's making it more difficult sounding than it has to be.. Or am I making it too easy?

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Also, I tried googling this hoping I could find an existing discussion like this.. But I couldn't. Just DIY sites that will be very helpful if we go this route. I think my fiance is just being an unusual pita about it. :p

·
Registered
161 Posts
We have wire fence for all of our paddocks, ranging from 100x25 up to 200x300 ft. Love it.

Personally I hate invisible fencing. And wouldn't ever consider it.

I personally think wire safer then Invisible fencing, I doubt I would notice how one wire fence would look.

Our fencing is 5ft to 7ft tall. Personally I wouldn't do a 3ft fence, and think 5 ft is the bare minimum I would do. Our fencing has held up and we have a boarding kennel.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
We have wire fence for all of our paddocks, ranging from 100x25 up to 200x300 ft. Love it.

Personally I hate invisible fencing. And wouldn't ever consider it.

I personally think wire safer then Invisible fencing, I doubt I would notice how one wire fence would look.

Our fencing is 5ft to 7ft tall. Personally I wouldn't do a 3ft fence, and think 5 ft is the bare minimum I would do. Our fencing has held up and we have a boarding kennel.
Posted via Mobile Device
I'm nervous about using invisible fencing.. I liked the idea at first, but now I'm very iffy on it after reading more about it.

Unfortunately we can't really afford to put up a typical fence.. I mean, I guess we /could/ but there's a chance we might move in ~2.5 years. I don't want to pay $2k-3k for a fence and have to leave it behind. :p Plus the only people on our street and the neighboring street that have a fence are the people on the corner lots. Besides them, one newly built house on the other street has a chain link fence. It would be very weird to put up a solid fence when we live towards the middle of the block, when no one else has one.

How many feet down did you put the posts? Do you have wood posts or the metal posts?

I'm thinking 4ft might be our maximum height.. Unfortunately we live in a very 'cookie cutter' area and might upset the neighbors if we had something tall /and/ unsightly by their standards.

·
Registered
7,786 Posts
Dogs can run through an invisible fence and invisible fence doesn't keep other things out of your yard. I have welded wire fencing and I'm very happy with it. It wasn't particularly expensive and we've had it nearly a year and have not yet had to do maintenance on it.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Dogs can run through an invisible fence and invisible fence doesn't keep other things out of your yard. I have welded wire fencing and I'm very happy with it. It wasn't particularly expensive and we've had it nearly a year and have not yet had to do maintenance on it.
Yeah.. My concern is other animals getting in, plus I don't want Loki to become paranoid or nervous in the yard. I've never seen a stray dog or a dog that I didn't know in the 3 years I've lived here, but we do have deer that come through in the AM hours sometimes.. They seem to love to go to the bathroom in our yard. :rolleyes:

How tall is your fence? I'm just curious because you have Australian Shepherd(s).

If my fiance refuses to install a wire fence.. because I can't do it myself.. :p Worst case scenario, would a kennel/run + an electric fence be doable if we trained him to fence correctly and carefully? So that way if he's out by himself he can relax safely in his kennel.. But for scenarios when we're outside /with/ him, he'll know the boundary of the invisible fence and won't cross it if we're out there to keep an eye on him/remind him? I'm not worried about him running through the barrier if someone is with him and can call him away from it.. But I wouldn't be surprised if he would try something like that if no one was looking.

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
I have the wire. I did have to add an electric wire to prevent digging under and climbing out or in lol. Its only four ft high, wish I had gone with the five ft now though.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Premium Member
11,875 Posts
We also have welded wire. :)
We chose it for its cost friendliness and because it wouldn't block our views of the orchard behind our house. We put it up late spring 2010 and it has been very easy to maintain. We haven't really had to do anything yet.
Our fence is 5 feet tall. We used round posts every 8 feet (IIRC) and also at the tops to help reinforce the fence. We used clear zip ties to attach the wire to the wood.

Just to show you (sorry I didn't have a photo w/out dogs readily available)...

If you decide to go this route, I would definitely plan some sort or garden or even just mulch in around the fence line to keep grass from getting too tall. I am slowly creating a garden along the outside of our fence, but the areas I have not tackled yet can be a pain to weedwhack.

Oh! and we also have very rocky soil. Lots of clay and rock here! A friend told my husband not to wast money renting a post hole digger and let him borrow a special tool (basically just a steel rod). It really helped to loosen the soil and deal with rocks as we dug post holes. Definitely made things much easier! :)

Though if you use the green metal fence posts (like in the second photo in your op) it will be very easy to put up a fence. Right after we fenced our yard, our neighbors decided to fence in a small area for their dog. They had to move the posts around a bit to find places they could sink the post in far enough, but they had their fence up in one day!;)

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Oohh.. Getting lots of info! Thanks guys!

I'm guessing there's a big difference in price when it comes to metal posts vs wood ones? I really like the way yours looks, Kmes! I prefer it over traditional fences.. My fiance's dream is a log house, and my tastes are pretty close. But if it's double the price, I'm not sure if looks will matter that much to us until we know if we're going to move or not.

Ahh.. I'll have to research about tools for this and find something, or maybe just find a place that rents them out.

Does anyone have a suggestion on which brand is better quality (not flimsy, longer lasting?) than the others and/or what website/store is best to go to for the supplies?

·
Premium Member
11,875 Posts
Most of our materials cam from Lowes and True Value (don't have a Home Depot nearby).
We used Red Brand fencing. And IIRC the wood posts were about the same as the green metal posts. Though it was more expensive as we had to buy the wood for the tops and also hardware.

·
Registered
161 Posts
I'm nervous about using invisible fencing.. I liked the idea at first, but now I'm very iffy on it after reading more about it.

Unfortunately we can't really afford to put up a typical fence.. I mean, I guess we /could/ but there's a chance we might move in ~2.5 years. I don't want to pay $2k-3k for a fence and have to leave it behind. :p Plus the only people on our street and the neighboring street that have a fence are the people on the corner lots. Besides them, one newly built house on the other street has a chain link fence. It would be very weird to put up a solid fence when we live towards the middle of the block, when no one else has one.

How many feet down did you put the posts? Do you have wood posts or the metal posts?

I'm thinking 4ft might be our maximum height.. Unfortunately we live in a very 'cookie cutter' area and might upset the neighbors if we had something tall /and/ unsightly by their standards.
For a 4 ft fence I would put the posts in at least 2 ft , so 6 ft posts. Use wooden posts!!! A friend used metal posts and the fence was not as sturdy. Use bigger posts for the corners too, and for any gates.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Premium Member
11,875 Posts
Welded wire will rust chainlink is better they have custom colors and no maintenance to do.
Our welded wire is galvanized steel and has yet to rust. Also we have yet to do any real maintenance to the fence (its been up for 2 years now). I suppose the zinc coating on our welded wire will wear away over time and then it will rust, but from what I have seen chain link also rusts eventually! ;)

·
Registered
161 Posts
We have had our wire paddocks ( over two thousand feet of it) up for 3 yrs, no rusting at all. It stands up well to all our snow drifts too (can have 6-8ft drifts!)

We also have chainlink for our indoor outdoor runs, and and one patch has rust but its a 10yr old chainlink panel.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
If you are concerned about the looks of the fence, you could plant some vines to grow up in - this matches with the garden idea and also gets rid of the having to cut. Most runner beans are gorgeous and provide food as well. Other dog-safe options would be hops, squash or gourds, regular pole beans, foot-long pole beans, cucumbers, or issai kiwi. Avoid morning glories, moonflowers and castor beans since they can be poisonous to dogs.

Oh, and sunflowers in front of a bean-wrapped fence are absolutely perfect together.

·
Registered
249 Posts
I prefer chainlink to anything, except a solid wall or wood fence. I don't like metal T posts at all, for dogs or horses. If they must be used, they must be capped.

Invisible fencing really wouldn't be an option I'd choose. Many animals learn to run through it, especially those with thick coats. It also doesn't keep an animal safe, since others can easily come into the property.

Some dogs do learn to climb, so with any type of wire/cyclone fencing, it is important to also consider that.

Lizzie

·
Banned
7,537 Posts
Well, invisible fence CAN be a good idea, BUT, it has signifigant downsides AND you HAVE to train the dog to it, or it just doesn't work (training requires you, or someone, to essentially force the dog to the fence line and then shock him). I'm not a big fan of them by themselves, however they work well as a digging deterrent when the dog has shown that he'll dig under the traditional fence, the efence keeps them from spending time in the one spot to dig.

CHeck prices on rolls of chain link vs equivent welded wire, but keep in mind that if he's going to climb one he can probly climb the other.

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
We have welded wire as well. No complaints at all, weve had ours for over a year.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
7,674 Posts
I think it's great you are putting up a fence! We did our backyard (wood fence due to the number of dogs, school kids, etc.) and the dogs love it! I like the way it was done with the wood and wire too in the other posting! And if you're moving it shouldn't be a huge investment.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Thats why you get vinyl coated it won't rust if the welded wire gets bent it stays bent chain link can get bent but its hard to do. If you want gates you will have to build them out of wood. Don't forget to treat the post with with sealer each year.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.