Dog Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Although more accurate than they used to be, I still take these things with a grain of salt. I'm thinking that the swab might've been contaminated by my GSD, so I'm going to do it again when the two are separated for a while. For now, here are the facts/results.

Facts:
Tucker
10 months old
83 lbs (not overweight according to vet)
26.5 inches tall (to the front shoulder blade, which is what I thought you measured to)
Characteristics: snaps jaws in the air when wanting to play or get attention, uses paws like a cat to attempt to grip things, VERY vocal (moans and groans like a grumpy person when trying to sleep), very active, wary of strangers, incredibly easy to train with treats, stubborn without treats, and very stimulated by sight

Results:
One parent was 50% Husky and 50% Boxer
One parent was 50% GSD, 25% Labrador Retriever, and 25% Sight Hound Mix
Estimated weight: 86 lbs

My Thoughts:

Okay, the Husky makes the most sense out of all of them. The two different eyes, the vocalization and facial expressions, and his playfulness all line up. Lab makes sense because of his obsession with water (he whined during a storm because he wanted to go outside and play in the rain, not because he was scared). Sight hound makes sense because he uses his eyes WAY more than his nose. German Shepherd accounts for his coloration (although I don't really find the personalities similar). Honestly, any Boxer trait could be explained by any of the other breeds, so I'm not entirely sure on that one. Also, all of these are medium size breeds (besides GSD) and Tucker's already passed the max weight for them. He passed the max average height for all of them.

The only breeds I've owned/co-owned from this list are GSDs, so any input for the others is greatly appreciated.

Attachments

·
Registered
405 Posts
I definitely see GSD and Husky. I can even see Lab & sight hound, but only because you mentioned it. Characteristic wise, I also "see" those breeds. The only thing Boxer I "see" is that he uses paws like a cat to attempt to grip things, but my Lab does the same thing. I don't put much faith in those tests, tho.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I would've guess Belgian Malinois from the first picture but then I looked at the others and see the husky and GSD in his face! What a cool dog!!! I want to do the DNA test on mine one day.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I would've guess Belgian Malinois from the first picture but then I looked at the others and see the husky and GSD in his face! What a cool dog!!! I want to do the DNA test on mine one day.
Posted via Mobile Device
That's actually what we've been labeling him as (and will probably continue since that's what our vet thought he was). He also fits the Malinois personality more than shepherd, but husky makes sense too.

·
Premium Member
9,197 Posts
I see all of those breeds a little bit. I do agree boxer is the hardest to see. But the boxer could attribute to the shortness of the coat.

·
Registered
2,711 Posts
I see all of those breeds a little bit. I do agree boxer is the hardest to see. But the boxer could attribute to the shortness of the coat.
Has to be something other than GSD x husky. I know they don't have every breed in their databases, so don't pit bull types end up showing as "boxers" or something? Because I see GSD x husky x pit bull, but I don't really see boxer.

The handsy thing, my dog uses his paws way more than any other dog I've ever seen and I highly doubt there's any boxer in his. (He's the dog in my avatar.) He looks like a half size golden retriever, there just isn't anything boxer about him.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for all the input! I emailed them questioning his size, since it didn't really line up. They looked more into the mix part of his ancestry and said, although it was far back, that the most suspected breed found was the Scottish deerhound. This certainly makes more sense for his size, but I don't know how popular they are. Again, since it was so far back in his line it could've come from anywhere, but any thoughts on that?
Posted via Mobile Device

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.