Dog Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I made up my own filling recipe but it is not really all that interesting to our Missy. I did the pb with a treat which she enjoyed but I wanted something else so this is what I did:

Cooked in chickenbreast slowly till really tender.
With the broth I cooked oatmeal but in a rather thick consistency.
Grated a good size carrot.

I made a mixture of pulled apart pieces of chicken, the oatmeal cooked in the broth, and grated carrot. I made it thick to the point it would not drip or spill while in the kong.

But shr isn't that eager to get it out. Did I perhaps miss anything, like a key product?

Yhank you for any help!

·
Registered
5,032 Posts
Some dogs lose interest if it's too hard to get out. Some dogs are also interested in different foods over other others. My dog isn't too interested in veggies for example, and will stop trying after about 5 minutes if it's too stuck (if it's frozen, for example). You could try a smaller (shallower) Kong so that she it's easier (kind of like training, where you start small/slow), and try to pack it looser. I'd also give her a little sample of what you are going to stuff prior to stuffing the Kong to see how much interest she has in it. She may just not be very food motivated.

·
Registered
2,638 Posts
mine doesn't like it too hard and he doesn't like hard stuff in there whatsoever. He wants things that just lick away like a popsicle. Some things he loves are peanut butter, yogurt, coconut oil, and wet dog food. If I add anything chunky in there he gets frustrated. Give it to him unfrozen and see if it helps. Also don't pack it so tight the first few times like seebrown said. Anything stinky would help if you can stomach it...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts