Dog Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am fostering a mother and 8 puppies. The puppies are about 3 weeks old and have FLEAS. I have combed the puppies and mom, but no dice. there are still fleas.

Have any of you tried Diatomaceous earth on puppies 3 weeks old?

What, if anything, do you all suggest for flea control on such tiny puppies.

Thank you, Merry

·
Registered
911 Posts
I've never used DE on young puppies, but as long as you keep them from inhaling it, it will be fine to use on them. I'm not sure how well it will work on a heavy infestation, but it can't hurt to try. You can also wash them in a bit of dawn, dry them and then try the DE.

·
Registered
442 Posts
I would be afraid of inhalation from pups climbing over each other and onto mom, plus fleas in a young puppy can be deadly due to the possibility of anemia with such a small blood supply- need to get rid of fleas ASAP. You can wash pups and mom in plain dawn or other "regular" dish soap (no bleach alternative, etc) to kill fleas on them.

If you have a moderate to heavy infestation though, it would probably be better to check with your vet to see if they can recommend a longer acting product you can use for mom, which should help to keep fleas off the pups as well. There's at least one topical that can be used on dogs nursing pups, and that would be more effective at keeping fleas at bay if there are any within the environment. The dawn has no preventive effect, and strips the oil from their skin and coat too (degreasing), so shouldn't be used regularly if at all possible. If you have any intention of applying a topical product to mom, don't wash her in dawn, as most topical products rely on the oils on the skin to disperse the product and dawn strips those so it will be less/ineffective. Do not use an OTC product or flea shampoo on any of them, as the vast majority haven't been proven safe for puppies that young.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Better than DE is Neem oil.

Get some 100% pure Neem, mix 2 teaspoons of Neem with 2 teaspoons of shampoo and add 2 pints of water and rub the pups with it. It kills any insect, so perfectly safe. The only downside is that Neem stinks but the smell wears off before the effect does.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.