Dog Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there - I just joined and am still finding my way around.

I have my first dog and he is a Dalmatian. I've had him from 4 weeks on (rescue from Gypsies) and we have grown very close. He has developed into a really nice, obidient dog. Still, I have TWO problems.

1. He is really greedy and he grawls even when we walk past him. I couldn't take food out of his mouth, neither would he give it to me if he was asked. This will cause a problem in the future, as I feel he would be 'unsafe'???

2. Ever since I have had him, he has on/off diarrhea and I don't know what to feed him? I like the idea of BARF, but it is not available in the UK. The alternative for me was ORIJEN (grain free). ORIJEN is Kibble though and I'm not that keen on it. I've been home-cooking 4 times a day. Than I started feeding kibble in the morning, 3 chicken RAW chicken wings for lunch and home-cook in the evening.

Today he started haveing watery diarrhea again... I am at a loss???? ;-(

Any ideas???

·
Registered
18,782 Posts
Hi there - I just joined and am still finding my way around.

I have my first dog and he is a Dalmatian. I've had him from 4 weeks on (rescue from Gypsies) and we have grown very close. He has developed into a really nice, obidient dog. Still, I have TWO problems.

1. He is really greedy and he grawls even when we walk past him. I couldn't take food out of his mouth, neither would he give it to me if he was asked. This will cause a problem in the future, as I feel he would be 'unsafe'???

2. Ever since I have had him, he has on/off diarrhea and I don't know what to feed him? I like the idea of BARF, but it is not available in the UK. The alternative for me was ORIJEN (grain free). ORIJEN is Kibble though and I'm not that keen on it. I've been home-cooking 4 times a day. Than I started feeding kibble in the morning, 3 chicken RAW chicken wings for lunch and home-cook in the evening.

Today he started haveing watery diarrhea again... I am at a loss???? ;-(

Any ideas???
This is probably a mixture of resource guarding and insecurity because he's new... there is a book called "MINE!" by Jean Donaldson that you can get online, I highly suggest you buy it, Guarding is to elaborate a behavior to fix over a forum.

As far as the food... its probably too rich unless the old owners were using it...I'd go get a mediorce mid quality food and get him stable on that for a while and then move up... canned pumpkin or cheese can help easy his tummy for now.

Dog | Forum | Rocks!

21 Posts
take him off that food royal canin would be better for him that food isnt agreeing with him worm him too . or try eukanuba my friend runs world renouned kennels would never feed her dogs orijen

·
Registered
40 Posts
The first step is to collect a fresh stool sample and have your vet check it for Coccidia or Giardia. Once this is ruled out then look to the food for resolution.
Good luck.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I think the previous poster was right that the territorial behavior around food is too complex to fix on a forum, but I will say a friend of mine had a lot of luck by taking one of her dog's favorite treats and offering it while she took the other food away. After a couple of weeks of doing that, the dog had kind of become more used to its food being taken or given at any given time.

I also recommend finding a dog obedience class and taking him to that, especially if the dog had little structure with its prior owners. It'll also help you bond with your dog and is a good chance for dogs to socialize with other dogs. :)

Not sure about the diarrhea. I've read recommendations to mix boiled chicken with rice to help settle the stomach and provide a bland diet. It might be useful for you to start over with something like that and change his diet every two weeks or something, noting carefully what you're giving him, in case it's food allergies.

Also:

Dog Food (Canine Diet and Nutrition): Dalmatian pup diarrhea, dandruff and farts, flint river ranch, puppy food

·
Registered
18,782 Posts
I think the previous poster was right that the territorial behavior around food is too complex to fix on a forum, but I will say a friend of mine had a lot of luck by taking one of her dog's favorite treats and offering it while she took the other food away. After a couple of weeks of doing that, the dog had kind of become more used to its food being taken or given at any given time.

I also recommend finding a dog obedience class and taking him to that, especially if the dog had little structure with its prior owners. It'll also help you bond with your dog and is a good chance for dogs to socialize with other dogs. :)

Not sure about the diarrhea. I've read recommendations to mix boiled chicken with rice to help settle the stomach and provide a bland diet. It might be useful for you to start over with something like that and change his diet every two weeks or something, noting carefully what you're giving him, in case it's food allergies.

this is fantastic advice.. :rockon: we call that "trading"...in the begining make sure you are offering som'thing better than what the dog has...

If you can't get close enough to "trade" without getting hurt its probably time for a behaviorist to assess the dog. :)

Dog | Forum | Rocks!

·
Registered
91 Posts
I agree with Princesca. A bland diet of boiled chicken and rice is often what vets recommend. Try this for a few days until he settles. Puppies take a little time for their tummies to mature.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts