Dog Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We moved to a new house. Dog suddenly started having diarrhea 10 days in to new place. Took sample to vet for test. Negative for parasite. Took dog in to vet for office visit. No real answers but he was hydrated and tummy not painful. We switched to chicken/rice and got diarrhea med. Started to get normal stool, gradually reintroduced his Blue Buffalo chicken and rice kibble. Diarrhea starts again. Go back to chicken and rice. Start believing it's his kibble (which he's eaten for 2 years with no issues). Is he suddenly allergic to it. Call Blue Buffalo, they suggest trying another protein variety (even if real chicken doesn't bother him, dog food version of chickken could). Also Catch him eating mysterious poop in our new yard (it's big yard with lots of plants) we were letting him roam. Then wonder if it's something he's eating outside. Or did previous owners use pesticide (they didn't have a dog). Now he's eating chicken and rice, got back to almost solid, then diarrhea AGAIN. So now I don't think it's the kibble. I see little couscous white dots in his stool. Googling it and seeing people say get a de-worm but we already had the stool tested negative, he was also able to get solid stools til he relapsed in to liquid. Could they be seeds of a plant that's making him sick. I feel like I'm in an episode of House minus the smart doctor. I am so worried about him, he's the best little guy and and I'm trying to get him better. We have 10+ palm trees, lots of desert landscape plants. We do have a sago palm and I'm looking at getting it dug up and removed after googling that it is potentially poisonous to dogs. But I don't think that's the culprit as it sounds like that thing is super poisonous. We're leashing him and no longer allowing him in his yard (which is so sad...he LOVED finally having a yard!!). Just trying to get him healthy and get to the bottom of what's causing. Anyway, if anyone has experienced similar love to hear.

·
Registered
83 Posts
What I would do(And please ask your Vet) there is a medication called Flagyl that is used for dogs with stomach inflammation(And diarrhea) ask the Vet if your Pup could use this to help him..also, maybe keep him on the chicken and rice for a few weeks, sounds like he has some kind of irritation in the colon, maybe he's eating something in the backyard not sure(What I would do is every time your pup needs to go outside, follow him, dont let him go alone, see what he is getting into..either he has a very sensitive stomach or he is getting into something that is off and on making him sick..cant have a few days of good solid poop and bam back to diarrhea so something is going on..keep us all posted praying for your pup

·
Registered
2,338 Posts
My guess, and its only a guess, is he is getting into something in the new yard. Once you can identify what, you can remove it, and let him roam again.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you guys so much for your thoughts. I did follow him and that was the time he ate dried poop from a mystery animal (ugh...). I will ask vet about Flagyl. We went from no yard to a 1/2 acre and we were so excited for him, now it's just like we can't seem to get him healthy and he's only 2. He's been having these issues for 5 - 6 weeks now. He is potty trained but with this when he gets the diarrhea it's liquid and all over the house, and i'm up all night with him. I just want to get him stabilized and happy so he can enjoy his new digs and we can also start to put rugs down and unpack, enjoy... :( His stool today was formed, not liquid, so that's good. But little bits of couscous, i don't think that's chewed rice b/c he's a gulper, not a chewer. Maybe we should re-test his poop again.

·
Registered
2,338 Posts
Retesting a stool sample, in view of the fact that it looks suspicious, would IMO be a good idea. They can pickup parasites overnight.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts