Dog Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys. Need some help. I'm new to puppies & I've had mine a little over a month. She's between 5-7months old. Well since I got her we've basically been having diarrhea almost every day. Some days it's just soft poop & not considered diarrhea but some days she's straight up peeing poop. I've put her on a good quality food & she doesn't eat human table food. I don't know if I should just wait it out & wait until her stomach gets used to this better quality or what to do :confused:

·
Banned
6,350 Posts
Hi guys. Need some help. I'm new to puppies & I've had mine a little over a month. She's between 5-7months old. Well since I got her we've basically been having diarrhea almost every day. Some days it's just soft poop & not considered diarrhea but some days she's straight up peeing poop. I've put her on a good quality food & she doesn't eat human table food. I don't know if I should just wait it out & wait until her stomach gets used to this better quality or what to do :confused:
Welcome! what food was she on and is she currently on right now?? have you gone to vets to check her out for any nasties in her poo?

·
Banned
6,350 Posts
also how slowly did u transiton from old food to current?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Welcome! what food was she on and is she currently on right now?? have you gone to vets to check her out for any nasties in her poo?
She's currently on Whole Earth Farms, the puppy recipe. She's been on it for 3 weeks. I'll be honest the transition into it was not the best. Right when I was switching her she developed an infected lymph node & was on chicken broth/rice/wet dog food with medication to heal it so with having to use the alternative soft diet ruined my smooth transition but she seemed fine at first. But it seems like the diarrhea is getting worse/more frequent

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The only thing her poop was tested for was tapeworm when my roommates puppy got it about 3-4 weeks ago & she was clear

·
Banned
6,350 Posts
She's currently on Whole Earth Farms, the puppy recipe. She's been on it for 3 weeks. I'll be honest the transition into it was not the best. Right when I was switching her she developed an infected lymph node & was on chicken broth/rice/wet dog food with medication to heal it so with having to use the alternative soft diet ruined my smooth transition but she seemed fine at first. But it seems like the diarrhea is getting worse/more frequent
The only thing her poop was tested for was tapeworm when my roommates puppy got it about 3-4 weeks ago & she was clear
Maybe you need to go back onto the old food and then slowly re transition her on the whole earth farms? is she still on the wet food? i wonder if thats the problem if she is? also you need her tested for giardia and any nasties

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Maybe you need to go back onto the old food and then slowly re transition her on the whole earth farms? is she still on the wet food? i wonder if thats the problem if she is? also you need her tested for giardia and any nasties
She was only on the wet food/chicken broth & rice for about 3/4 days. The antibiotics that they gave her worked wonderfully!! I have no idea :( she has such a sensitive stomach. Like certain treats upset her stomach. I'm wondering that even though it's been 3 weeks the ingredients just don't agree with her stomach, I don't know.

What's giardia?

·
Banned
6,350 Posts
hmmm could try a limited ingredient food without chicken a new protien in other words. giardia is a nasty parasite dogs can get

·
Registered
10,646 Posts
Giardia is a parasite that they get from drinking dirty water. If the breeder kept the puppies in less then clean conditions, or she was picked up off the streets, it could be that she has it. Giardia in Dogs | Pets & Parasites: The Pet Owner's Parasite Resource

If it's the food what I'd do is put her on a bland diet like chicken (if she did well on it last time you had her on it) or turkey and rice or sweet potato for 4 or 5 days to give her stomach a chance to settle down. You can mix in some pumpkin, a teaspoon or two, to help with the diarrhea. Do equal parts meat and carb, or slightly more meat then carb. You can also add in some plain kefir to help with his digestion, it replaces the good bacteria in his stomach. If you suspect that it might be chicken that causing her upset stomach then you can try beef or pork, but make sure it's the leanest meat you can find since the fat could cause tummy problems. While feeding that do not give her any kind of treats, use the food as your treats for any training you do.

If her stomach settles down on that diet and her stool firms up then slowly start transitioning her back onto her kibble, make sure to do it very slowly and instead of the standard 3 or 4 day transition take a week or more. If at any point her stomach gets bad go back to feeding the bland diet for a couple days then try again, if it happens again you can pretty much bet it's the food that's the problem.

If she continues to do bad on the bland diet I'd start thinking it's a medical problem that's causing her troubles, and it's time to ask the vet for more in depth testing, BUT before starting any of that rule out parasites like gardia, coccidia, and intestinal worms.

·
Registered
501 Posts
Pax had chronic soft/mussy stool as a young puppy. It was a combination of a parasite that was quickly medicated out then what turned out to also be food allergies. Took a few different food brands and a bit of trial and error to find one that worked for him.

·
Registered
5,929 Posts
You might want to change the meat and see if it's a meat intolerance. Intolerance causes stomach issues.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Giardia is a parasite that they get from drinking dirty water. If the breeder kept the puppies in less then clean conditions, or she was picked up off the streets, it could be that she has it. Giardia in Dogs | Pets & Parasites: The Pet Owner's Parasite Resource

If it's the food what I'd do is put her on a bland diet like chicken (if she did well on it last time you had her on it) or turkey and rice or sweet potato for 4 or 5 days to give her stomach a chance to settle down. You can mix in some pumpkin, a teaspoon or two, to help with the diarrhea. Do equal parts meat and carb, or slightly more meat then carb. You can also add in some plain kefir to help with his digestion, it replaces the good bacteria in his stomach. If you suspect that it might be chicken that causing her upset stomach then you can try beef or pork, but make sure it's the leanest meat you can find since the fat could cause tummy problems. While feeding that do not give her any kind of treats, use the food as your treats for any training you do.

If her stomach settles down on that diet and her stool firms up then slowly start transitioning her back onto her kibble, make sure to do it very slowly and instead of the standard 3 or 4 day transition take a week or more. If at any point her stomach gets bad go back to feeding the bland diet for a couple days then try again, if it happens again you can pretty much bet it's the food that's the problem.

If she continues to do bad on the bland diet I'd start thinking it's a medical problem that's causing her troubles, and it's time to ask the vet for more in depth testing, BUT before starting any of that rule out parasites like gardia, coccidia, and intestinal worms.
Sounds like a great plan. What's the serving size for how much rice I should be giving her though?? I know it's a type of food that expands in the stomach so I don't wanna give her too much. She's around 24 lbs.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Pax had chronic soft/mussy stool as a young puppy. It was a combination of a parasite that was quickly medicated out then what turned out to also be food allergies. Took a few different food brands and a bit of trial and error to find one that worked for him.
Yeah I've been doing a lot of reading online & im pretty sure she might be either allergic or have a bad reaction to something in her food because the worst diarrhea usually comes after meals. So what now!?!? Ugh :confused: What food did you end up switching to??

·
Banned
6,350 Posts
Chicken Meal, Brown Rice, Oatmeal, Pearled Barley, Chicken Fat (preserved with mixed tocopherols), Natural Pork Flavor, Peas, Potato Protein, Chicken, Natural Chicken Flavor, Salmon, Yeast Culture, Organic Alfalfa Meal, Salt, Salmon Oil, Vitamins (Vitamin E Supplement, Vitamin A Acetate, Vitamin B12 Supplement, d-Calcium Pantothenate, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Niacin, Riboflavin Supplement, Biotin, Pyroxidine Hydrochloride, Folic Acid, Thiamin Mononitrate), Minerals (Zinc Sulfate, Iron Amino Acid Complex, Zinc Amino Acid Complex, Manganese Amino Acid Complex, Copper Amino Acid Complex, Potassium Iodide, Cobalt Amino Acid Complex, Sodium Selenite), Dried Blueberries, Choline Chloride, Cinnamon, Rosemary, Sage, Thyme, Yucca Schidigera Extract, Dried Lactobacillus plantarum Fermentation Product, Dried Lactobacillus casei Fermentation Product, Dried Enterococcus faecium Fermentation Product, Dried Lactobacillus acidophilus Fermentation Product
Guaranteed Analysis:
Crude Protein (min) 26.0%, Crude Fat (min) 12.0%, Crude Fiber (max) 4.0%, Moisture (max) 11.0%.

Bolded could be the meat intolerance

Id try a limited ingredient diet not sure of budget but these brands do them to name a few wellness simple, acana, zignature

·
Registered
10,646 Posts
Sounds like a great plan. What's the serving size for how much rice I should be giving her though?? I know it's a type of food that expands in the stomach so I don't wanna give her too much. She's around 24 lbs.

If you use rice use cooked white rice. It shouldn't expand in her stomach.

Use maximum 1/2 rice to 1/2 meat, you can lower the rice content and up the meat content if you wanted to but don't lower the meat and up the rice. If you use 1 cup cooked rice then use 1 cup of the meat or slightly more meat. I generally go with slightly more since the meat tends not to pack into the measuring cups like the rice does.

I feed my boy slightly more of the mixture then I do with his kibble since it tends to be lower calorie. My boy is fed 1/2 cup of kibble a day, when I feed him chicken and rice I feed him 1 mounded 1/2 cup rather then a level 1/2 cup like I do with the kibble.

To figure out which protein may work best since you are suspecting a meat intolerance see which protein is in the kibble you have been feeding. Reading the ingredients in the food you named it looks like Chicken, Salmon, and Brown Rice are the main ingredients, so what I'd do is Try fixing her Ground Turkey and Sweet Potato rather then Chicken and Rice. Brown off the turkey and bake the sweet potato until it's cooked. Then use the same measurements as you would if you were chicken and rice. 1/2 meat to 1/2 potato, and feed her around the same amount you would her kibble.

To figure out what exactly she's allergic to once you get her stomach settled down you'd slowly, one by one introduce new foods into her diet. You can start with the kibble if you like or you can start with different proteins or carbs. You'd feed her one for a day or two, then wait a couple of days to see if she reacts to it before adding in the next one. You don't want to feed a bunch at once since you won't know what is setting off the reaction if she reacts to it.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts