Dog Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So it's been 2 days since we moved to the farm. Bentley has adapted very well. He's even joined the "herding pack" herding ducks and chickens with the corgi mixes. Cooper didn't take the move as well. He's mostly stays under my car and only comes out when I call him. He also has diarrhea. I'm hoping it's just because of the stress of moving but I'm not sure. There was a hint of blood in it this morning but non after that.
Also, do you guys have any tips for getting Cooper to integrate with the pack more?

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
...........He also has diarrhea. I'm hoping it's just because of the stress of moving but I'm not sure. There was a hint of blood in it this morning but non after that.....
Get him to the vet. Montezuma's revenge isn't just confined to traveling to Mexico. ;) The water where you are now at probably has different bacteria in it than what your dog is use to and your vet can get him some meds to balance it out. I had a little dog named Shilo and a dog named Ernie. When I moved from my old place to where I am now, I went from city water to a well.

Ernie, my cat and I never had a problem, but for Shilo...it was terrible. Appartenly, unlike the rest of us, she had never really been anywhere to get exposure to what ever was making her sick. And..the move happened in February and it decided to rain a slushy rain that year...poor little skinny dog...was outside ever 1/2 hour for 3 days and I would have to put her in the tub to clean her up and warm her up each time. The pills the vet gave her helped her out almost immediately.

I think once your dog starts feeling better, he might be more apt to go out and be a bit more sociable...hiding is something natural for most sick animals. I think taking off leash walks, if you can, with the dogs is a good way for them to socialize and get to know each other. I wouldn't take any toys or anything for them to try to guard or anything...just a nice walk. There are probably other things you can do, but I've never really had a dog that wasn't sociable...so other's here might have better ideas.

Stormy

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Cooper is doing much better today. When I let him out this morning he pooped and it was a little soft but it not as bad as it was yesterday. He actually stayed out with me when I went riding and taking the horses in and out. He got a little nervous when the dogs came up to him but he didn't run away.
I'm still going to setup a vet appointment. The difference in water makes a lot of sense

Thanks!

·
Registered
5,929 Posts
Cooper is doing much better today. When I let him out this morning he pooped and it was a little soft but it not as bad as it was yesterday. He actually stayed out with me when I went riding and taking the horses in and out. He got a little nervous when the dogs came up to him but he didn't run away.
I'm still going to setup a vet appointment. The difference in water makes a lot of sense

Thanks!
I know this is going to sound gross but the problem could be the consumption of horse, chicken and duck poo.

·
Registered
131 Posts

Thanks!
It wouldn't surprise me if the blood was just from stress. If it wasn't a ton of blood i wouldn't be too concerned. Some dogs adjust better then others.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts