Dog Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 6 year old cavalier king charles spaniel has been diagnosed with type 1 diabetes. Have many questions about caring for a dog with this disease. Any info would be helpful: quality of life, life expectancy, diet, other health issues. I am 76, my husband is 80; how difficult is caring for a pet with this illness?

·
Super Moderator
3,638 Posts
I've never experienced it but an acquaintance has. Once the dosage had been properly worked out they were able to get something like an epi-pen (like for allergy sufferers) which was easier than injecting the dog.

·
Registered
636 Posts
It is not difficult once the vet does a glucose curve to determine how many units your dog will need. Normally they will have you drop your dog off three days in a row, The vet will give a dose of insulin and do blood glucose checks every 2 hours. The insulin is given subq or under the skin. It is normally a very small amount that is given every 12 hours. A feeding schedule is important (every 12 hours.) The vet will have to do a fructosomine blood tests every 6 months to determine whether the dose of insulin needs to be adjusted. They will teach you how to give the insulin. Your dog is still young. Diabetes can be controlled and quality of life is normally very good.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts