Dog Forum banner

141 - 158 of 158 Posts

·
Registered
9,599 Posts
Anyone have good solid tips for a Hibiscus Tree, esp watering and sunlight.

I have looked up and have different watering requirement and sunlight requirements.

Thanks in advance.

·
Super Moderator
8,034 Posts
I want to start a vegetable garden this year. I've done them in the past at my old house- this will be the first time at my new house. I don't have the sunlight in the right spaces for a 'traditional' garden so I'm thinking I'll plant in pots on my back deck. According to the Burpee website, I should be able to do tomato, cucumbers, green beans, sugar snap peas, yellow beets and strawberries. Specific breeds, of course. Any suggestions? I'm in New England so I'm planning on starting the seeds in the house soon.

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
I want to start a vegetable garden this year. I've done them in the past at my old house- this will be the first time at my new house. I don't have the sunlight in the right spaces for a 'traditional' garden so I'm thinking I'll plant in pots on my back deck. According to the Burpee website, I should be able to do tomato, cucumbers, green beans, sugar snap peas, yellow beets and strawberries. Specific breeds, of course. Any suggestions? I'm in New England so I'm planning on starting the seeds in the house soon.
I really don`t know much about plants...

My granny went a bit overboard with tomatoes this year. She forced me to take 12 plants with me (as in I was already in the car and packed and she just put them on the backseat without listening to a word I said). The thing is - they are meant to be greenhouse tomatoes and I dont have a greenhouse -- they are already like 12 cm tall -- by the time it`s warm enough to plant them outside (late May) they will be like 1 meter tall. I can`t keep them inside like that and if I take them outside they´ll freeze to death .. I think. ugh.

I also don`t have the heart to just throw them away.

If only I could teleport them to you :D

·
Super Moderator
8,034 Posts
I really don`t know much about plants...

My granny went a bit overboard with tomatoes this year. She forced me to take 12 plants with me (as in I was already in the car and packed and she just put them on the backseat without listening to a word I said). The thing is - they are meant to be greenhouse tomatoes and I dont have a greenhouse -- they are already like 12 cm tall -- by the time it`s warm enough to plant them outside (late May) they will be like 1 meter tall. I can`t keep them inside like that and if I take them outside they´ll freeze to death .. I think. ugh.

I also don`t have the heart to just throw them away.

If only I could teleport them to you :D
If you could, I would take them! I would take Ella too! ;)

·
Registered
880 Posts
I am growing 3 Pineapples inside my house, I thought that they were going to die but all of a sudden they got huge.

·
Registered
2,882 Posts
*resurrecting this thread*

Anyone ever started a terrarium? I have a decently large, enclosed one that I purchased but am chasing my tail on what to put in it, or where to find plants. I found some desert terrarium plants at my Home Depot, but have read that since it is enclosed I need plants suited for humidity - which is fine, because what I really want is ferns and moss, among other things.

Ideas?

·
Registered
917 Posts
I just started a terrarium in a 40gallon breeder tank. You can do a arid setup, but I'd stay away from the hardware store succulents, they often have bugs in them. The are really hard to get rid of too.

I ended up going to a local nursery for most of my plants, and ordered some moss on Ebay that just came today. I have two online suppliers I've bought from years ago, Welcome! You have discovered Black Jungle Terrarium Supply - The Natural Choice!! and I can't remember the other off the top of my head.

·
Super Moderator
8,034 Posts
Anyone have any advice for growing a pear tree and an apple tree in pots? I'm in New England.

I know that they need a lot of sun and I'd have to get dwarf plants for the pots. I don't want to put them in the ground since we're (hopefully!!) moving. My garden area is fairly small and I'm doing tomatoes, cucumbers and carrots in there. Hoping to do pears, apples and strawberries in pots on my deck.

·
Registered
917 Posts
@Aspen726

I'd get large pots, at least ten gallons or larger. I grow some things in pots or cages that I've made out of garden fence or chicken wire. You can line with straw or burlap. You just need to make sure the soil doesn't dry out, keep it moist. Otherwise there is nothing special you need to do. You may want to wrap the pot in the winter to help to protect the roots.

·
Registered
507 Posts
I got all of my cool season stuff planted before it rained! It's supposed to be rainy all this week, so hopefully I'll have to do very little watering.

I forgot to get twine, so my rows are all over the place, and I'm also afraid I planted my peas too deep and some of my other things not deep enough. I'm pretty sure I'm going to be awful at this gardening thing, so... we'll see if anything sprouts in a few weeks.

·
Registered
917 Posts
I got all my cool weather stuff planted a week or two ago. The weather has been so crazy here. I hope the stuff has time to grow before it gets too warm. Sugar snap peas are my favorite. @Sha I don't normally put my peas very deep. I just put a layer of compost on top of them and they do great. The first year I did push the seeds down, maybe an inch or two. But I've found them do just fine barely covered or sometimes not covered at all.

Is this your first year gardening? It's really not hard. A bit of trial and error and common sense. I garden naturally, no chemicals. I have a large compost pile and do use some organic ferts and pesticides if needed. I don't mind some bug holes in my produce, my biggest issue is cabbage white caterpillars. I do use BT on them.

·
Registered
507 Posts
I wanted to get my cool-weather stuff planted a bit earlier, but we had rain (and snow), so the soil wasn't in the greatest place to be worked. It dried out nicely for this weekend, so I got everything tilled and planted. Plus, I'm in Wisconsin, so we should still have some cool weather for a while yet, though this spring has been weird already.
@annageckos Yes, this is my first year gardening. I don't even really have childhood experience. My mom hated gardening, so we had a garden when I was very young, but not any years that I really remember. However, I am also intimidated by gardening, because my stepmom was a fantastic gardener and grew tons of stuff that people loved.

And that sounds like how I plan on going. I did get a bit of compost from the garden center that I tilled into the soil, but not nearly as much as was suggested, as I just couldn't afford that. Otherwise, I know my stepmom didn't use chemicals or anything, so I see no reason to do so myself.

I'm just a super perfectionist who loves to research things and be really prepared beforehand, and this is something that you do have to learn by trial and error. I'm sure it'll turn out fine, but I'm nervous that I'll be terrible. Once things sprout, I'll be good.

And if nothing sprouts, I'll just plant peas everywhere next year, because I LOVE peas. <3

·
Registered
917 Posts
I love researching everything. So I do a lot of reading about gardening. But I love to experiment too. Every year I try planting something new. I've found some things I didn't know I liked. Like mustard greens,beets and lima beans. This year I have planted already garlic, shallots, snap peas, 5 different types of lettuce, kale, potatoes cauliflower, broccoli rabb, a bunch of different types of carrots and beets. And my asparagus is coming up nicely. I'll be planting a few different squash, cucumbers, tomatoes, sweet potatoes lima beans, cantaloupe and herbs later. I'm sure I've forgotten something. I like planting different things, odd veggies and anything purple. Plus I have flowers to attract birds, we get hummingbirds every year. And tons of goldfinches. They love sunflowers.

I also worry until everything has sprouted, every year. Then everything is up and it's a sigh of relief.

·
Registered
900 Posts
I planted a dogwood tree and umbrella catalpa (and some others but they are fins...so far) last year. Their first winter just ended and 3 of them are coming back and can see the buds growing in. The other 2 don't look so good. One is a dogwood and the other is an umbrella catalpa. Does any one know if there is anything I can do to try to bring these 2 trees back?

141 - 158 of 158 Posts