Dog Forum banner

121 - 140 of 158 Posts

·
Registered
12,335 Posts
Ewww, I hate worms. Maybe I won't. :D

Anyways, when they say coffee grounds, do they mean used? Cuz I don't drink coffee thus don't have used.

·
Banned
7,625 Posts
I haven't, nothings going in there for at least a couple more weeks. Boiling water is definetly an option!
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
12,335 Posts
I just sprinkled on cornmeal today--will let you know how it works if Elsie doesn't lick it all up..... I might have to make a fence around the beds tomorrow. Soph and Champ are still convinced it's their special toilet area anyways. Will let you know if I notice a difference in ants after a few days.

·
Banned
7,625 Posts
Two pots of boiling water poured over the container, I'll check it tomorrow.

I'm also wondering if a sticky trap, run around the inside edge might help, it is the only way in and out for them....it wouldn't get the queen, but if I cut off the food source....I'd hate to not use that container this year, but if thats what it takes.....

On the same note, I keep seeing discussion that ants don't like cucumber pealings, do they avoid the plants too? I could plant the cucumbers in that one.....

·
Registered
22,635 Posts
Two pots of boiling water poured over the container, I'll check it tomorrow.

I'm also wondering if a sticky trap, run around the inside edge might help, it is the only way in and out for them....it wouldn't get the queen, but if I cut off the food source....I'd hate to not use that container this year, but if thats what it takes.....

On the same note, I keep seeing discussion that ants don't like cucumber pealings, do they avoid the plants too? I could plant the cucumbers in that one.....
that's a good idea, on the cucumber. i'm always reading that pests don't like mint, you might try that? thought it does sort of take over things, so i'm not sure if it would work for you

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
12,335 Posts
My water lettuce died. Fail. This stuff was supposed to be super easy, noxious even in parts of the country. I will have to buy morebonce it is warmer out.... here is hopibg my hyacinths make it.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Banned
7,625 Posts
My water lettuce died. Fail. This stuff was supposed to be super easy, noxious even in parts of the country. I will have to buy morebonce it is warmer out.... here is hopibg my hyacinths make it.
Posted via Mobile Device
When I did water lettuce in my fish tanks it was always hit or miss. When it thrived it THRIVED and tried to take over the tank top. When it failed, it failed miserably. Never did figure out what I did that made it work.

·
Banned
7,625 Posts
Deer....deer were a HUGE problem for me last year. Finally found Plantskydd deer repellent and that worked better than anything else I'd tried, but its also pretty nasty smelling stuff. Plus it wasn't perfect. BUT, I also don't really want to deer fence off things if I don't have to. I keep seeing it stated that deer not only don't like marigolds, but often won't eat plants planted next to marigolds. Anyone have any experience? A couple trays of marigolds is cheap if it'll help keep the deer away....(they ate all my habanero plants last year *sigh*)

·
Banned
7,625 Posts
Tried a garlic spray, not noticeably better than the Plantskydd, though it was home made, which is a plus. But the dogs thought it smelled more interesting than the Plantskydd, which was a minus lol.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Spinning this out for garden chat instead of cluttering up the seed giveaway thread. All things garden related can be posted here.

For those of you not on the mailing list, Seed Savers Exchange is clearing out their 2013 stock at 50% off. Onions are touchy a year out, but everything else should be good for 2014. I'll be getting some squash(of course), beans and black toms. Maybe some greens as well since I'm putting an aquaponic setup together for the winter.
Just curious you refer this as a gardener's bit of info. What do you call people that tend to floral gardens, florists?

Sorry but I've never really thought of herb / vegetable gardens as real gardens, as most plants in such "gardens" you can leave by themselves untended and they'll grow anyways - for outside factors like deer, get chicken wire fencing [not hard]. I mean my aunt, who taught me much of what I know, has a 2 acre plot that she has left untouched for years and she still gets an entire summer's worth of goodies each year.

·
Registered
3,384 Posts
Discussion Starter #139
I finally picked up all my seedling and plants - yup, I had to pick them up because I lost everything to a damping off epidemic. So everything will be tossed for next year.

Plant shopping is fun, but man is it expensive. And the selection sucks. I only found one black tomato in the city and I'm sorry, but I am not spending 5$ per seedling. *sigh* but I did find a decently priced red/gold stripped tom.

I also kind of went crazy with my ornamentals. Normally I just use pretty ornamentals that I started myself. This year, I got a fair amount of flowers and pretties and I may actually start just pretties from now on. I kind of discovered I have a thing for green flowers & black flowers (as well as lime-green foliage and burgundy foliage). I've already got three planters planned and I'm more excited for them than I am for my squash (though my squash selection this year is pitiful).

Also "watermelon" tells me nothing people. Can I get a cultivar, days to harvest, or list of which genes the plant carries?

·
Registered
12,335 Posts
I hear you on the selection/pricing. For some reason I bought most of my veggies this year at Home Depot... so boring, so expensive, so unimpressive. And then, I've "weeded out" most of my seedlings from last year, some delicious varieties from a local garden store. Don't know why I did that, nor do I know why I didn't go back to said store for this years plants. I may make a trip yet to get some more onions....

On a happier note, my garden made it while I was gone and actually grew quite a bit, thanks to my cuz and friend who stopped by occasionally to water. AND I have pond lilies! They started as bulbs and finally made it to the surface. I'll get pics soon.

121 - 140 of 158 Posts