Dog Forum banner

101 - 120 of 158 Posts

·
Registered
22,635 Posts
8a 8a 8a 8a 8a 8a 8a 8a 8a lalalalalalalalalala

Anyways, I had a greenhouse in college at one of my rentals. It was awesome! I really, really want one. Or I want my parents to put one up--they definitely have the space and sun for it. Buying plants today was painfully expensive. I didn't spend a hundred dollars, but I didn't get much. I'm trying to tell myself that it will save me in grocery money in the Summer.
if i lived in that zone, i'd be planting seeds!!! so much cheaper!!!

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
12,335 Posts
Definitely cheaper. I might try next year. I just haven't figured out where to put the containers since we get such limited sunlight in the Spring. That's where the greenhouse would come in....

My neighbors at the end of the street have one of those little greenhouses like from Costco and a fabulous garden that goes between their front yard and the side walk. They grow a ton. Last year they let artichoke go to waste, which was horrifying for me to watch--I love them and so wanted to steal some!

·
Registered
22,635 Posts

·
Registered
12,335 Posts
We do have BigLots! I'll look into it after I take out my bar loan. (ie my unemployment loan, lol)

Actually, would just using the plastic covers over my loops on my beds word as a greenhouse of sorts?

·
Registered
22,635 Posts
We do have BigLots! I'll look into it after I take out my bar loan. (ie my unemployment loan, lol)

Actually, would just using the plastic covers over my loops on my beds word as a greenhouse of sorts?
that's basically what i'm doing...

they are on sale right now... or at least they were at the big lots near me... they go up to like $120 or something like that...

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
22,635 Posts

·
Banned
7,625 Posts
Keep an eye out at the end of the summer/early fall on craigslist for tents, and on the big box stores for greenhouses cheap, thats how I got my little ones, they were $40 instead of $70 on end of year clearance.

·
Registered
12,335 Posts

Here's my cover! It's a bit windy, so I hope I put enough wood down around it.... We'll see. I planted most of my stuff this morning.

I also redid my fire pit. The flat stones were never tall enough, but I was too cheap to buy more. So I finally just relocated some landscaping blocks from the side of my house to go around. :)

·
Registered
3,299 Posts
Im so excited! I just bought a bunch of my favorite kind of plants (succulents). Right now I have a jade tree but I have just added a donkey tail, pork and beans, echeveria mazarine, and zebra plant to the bunch. You guys should see the wall hanging that I made to put them on, I will show you once it is finished and the plants are trans planted!

·
Banned
7,625 Posts
Arg!

Last year I had a huge problem with ants farming aphids in one of my garden containers.

Repeated doses of DE and powdered hot peppers SEEMED to finally drive them off.

But yesterday when I broke up and turned over the dirt, there were the ants again!

Arg!

Gave all the containers a massive dose of DE, mixed it in.

Checked the container in question again after work today. And sure enough, still have ants!

Short of dumping the whole thing out and sanatizing it what else can I do to get rid of the ants??

·
Registered
22,635 Posts
Arg!

Last year I had a huge problem with ants farming aphids in one of my garden containers.

Repeated doses of DE and powdered hot peppers SEEMED to finally drive them off.

But yesterday when I broke up and turned over the dirt, there were the ants again!

Arg!

Gave all the containers a massive dose of DE, mixed it in.

Checked the container in question again after work today. And sure enough, still have ants!

Short of dumping the whole thing out and sanatizing it what else can I do to get rid of the ants??
my grandma SWORE by using alum... i *think* she would just use it straight, i know that she always had it and would sprinkle it around stuff. there is a chance she *might* have mixed it in with sugar or something...

i've also heard of cinnamon having anti "bug" properties

·
Registered
12,335 Posts
Oh! My tomato bed has ants, too! Are they themselves harmful to the plants? (Garden newb, sorry.)

Fwiw, we use cinnamon sticks at my parents' house to ward off ants....

Also, I came across this the other day. Anyone use any of these successfully?

·
Registered
22,635 Posts
Oh! My tomato bed has ants, too! Are they themselves harmful to the plants? (Garden newb, sorry.)

Fwiw, we use cinnamon sticks at my parents' house to ward off ants....

Also, I came across this the other day. Anyone use any of these successfully?

i don't see anything???

i don't think the ants are harmful, but if they are farming aphids, the aphids are.

good to know on the cinnamon sticks... i actually mix cinnamon in my DE when i sprinkle it around...

·
Registered
12,335 Posts
Bwhahaha, I was just trying to confuse you. That done, here you go:
35 Pest and Disease Remedies - Fine Gardening Article

I was just reading some other webpages, and some natural ant solutions that didn't jump out as going to screw up my garden soil were: coffee grounds, cornmeal, grits, cream of wheat, garlic powder, citric peels. Do any of these jump out to you as a bad idea?

·
Banned
7,625 Posts
Coffee grounds can change the acidiy of your soil, so you'd want to pay attention to what gets planted there. Otherwise not really.

·
Registered
22,635 Posts
Bwhahaha, I was just trying to confuse you. That done, here you go:
35 Pest and Disease Remedies - Fine Gardening Article

I was just reading some other webpages, and some natural ant solutions that didn't jump out as going to screw up my garden soil were: coffee grounds, cornmeal, grits, cream of wheat, garlic powder, citric peels. Do any of these jump out to you as a bad idea?
lol, i do NOT have the energy to read through all those tonight! but i'll have to check out that link when i'm more alert!

cream of wheat... i feel like it would mold. the others, don't *think* so... i actually use coffee grounds in my houseplant containers sometimes (and the worms LOVE em!)

·
Registered
12,335 Posts
The bed that is swarming with ants already has tomatoes, a bell pepper, a jalapeno, and carrot seeds. Thoughts on those in more acidic soil? (I don't have a test kit.)

101 - 120 of 158 Posts