Dog Forum banner

1 - 20 of 158 Posts

·
Registered
3,384 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Spinning this out for garden chat instead of cluttering up the seed giveaway thread. All things garden related can be posted here.

For those of you not on the mailing list, Seed Savers Exchange is clearing out their 2013 stock at 50% off. Onions are touchy a year out, but everything else should be good for 2014. I'll be getting some squash(of course), beans and black toms. Maybe some greens as well since I'm putting an aquaponic setup together for the winter.

·
Banned
7,625 Posts
I just saw that....

Ok, I need tomato recommendations! We're not big tomato fans, but want to make our own sauce. So, I need a tomato thats good for sauce, that'll grow in zone 5, and thats a fairly easy grow as I'm not the best gardener!

(its ok if its not on the Seed Savers list lol)

·
Registered
3,384 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
From their end of season list or anything that they have? Black plum for the first (but then, I love black toms). It's def juicier than a typical paste, but has that rich/smokey/earthy taste that blacks have.

For anything, I love striped(or speckled - same cultivar, different names) romans. They are a typical paste, but have a lot more flavour and a rich taste that isn't as common in the reds/pinks. They are the only non-black I grow. Not insane on the productivity scale, but not flimsy either.

Both are easy and can grow up here in zone two, so they should be able to handle zone 5.

·
Banned
7,625 Posts
From their end of season list or anything that they have? Black plum for the first (but then, I love black toms). It's def juicier than a typical paste, but has that rich/smokey/earthy taste that blacks have.

For anything, I love striped(or speckled - same cultivar, different names) romans. They are a typical paste, but have a lot more flavour and a rich taste that isn't as common in the reds/pinks. They are the only non-black I grow. Not insane on the productivity scale, but not flimsy either.

Both are easy and can grow up here in zone two, so they should be able to handle zone 5.

Any of it, I'm not picky, though being able to get it on sale would be cool. I won't feel so bad when they don't grow :p

·
Registered
9,599 Posts
Can we get perrinial seeds, I'm looking for Pampas seeds to start to hide ugly steel markers jerk neighbor has placed every 10 ft on the property line?

Even considering small plants if price is good. I would need 17 of them.

Or is this just a veggie site?

·
Registered
9,599 Posts
Thanks guys. I read over this thread, then I got all excited and had to order my seeds :p
I think this might be the earliest year to date ;)

I picked up a few on sale from Seed Savers, and the rest are from these folks
Heirloom Seedhouse & Nursery: The Cottage Gardener
They have a lot of native and more obscure plant varieties (veggies, herbs, flowers, the works).

Good to see you back, thanks for the links too.

·
Registered
3,384 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
My town has an Organic Conference (I know, right?) and they have a booth every year. Nicest folks ever.
Is that where you got your "strawberry spinach" too!? :)
I think it was - I tend to repackage with scientific names right away to help with my organization. It was either there or tradewinds.

·
Banned
7,625 Posts
Best way to sort out viable seeds from non-viable seeds? Specifically pumpkin seeds? Puree-ing pumpkin today, and there's ALOT of seeds there, some of them look less than viable (skinny, etc), but some of them look GOOD too. But when I tried the float test method they ALL floated.....

·
Registered
3,384 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Hmmmm... no idea here. I usually just do germination tests to get a percentage and then start enough seeds so that I'm confident I'll get enough plants. Of course, I usually end up with tons extra but that just means I can give or sell the extras.

I also wouldn't rule out the skinny ones. I've seen some pretty thin ones germinate quickly.

1 - 20 of 158 Posts