Dog Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dexter doesn't try to chase most cars. Usually he seems like he hasn't even noticed. But he will go after BIG trucks. Especially if theyre loud. Especially especially if they're oncoming (as opposed to moving in the same direction that we're walking). Which means that if he wasn't on the leash, I'm pretty sure he would run out directly in front of the loudest, largest, oncoming truck, and attempt to herd it.
I'm glad he's not a timid dog but this is too fearless. Somewhere down the line he may get loose one day, and if he isn't stopped, he WILL herd the trucks.

So now I have a herding dog, with herding dog instincts, only going after the vehicles that are most likely to kill him.

·
Premium Member
9,197 Posts
Sounds like you should start really working with recall and impulse control.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Recall training is going very slow with him. We've been enticing him to come toward us via bone/stick/treat, but he still sees it as optional. "Thanks for the offer but I dont want the stick."
Sticks always work as long as he notices I have it, but if he's too excited over something and doesn't even notice, he doesn't come willingly.

Its not even practical to use this during our walks, because of the long twisty roads and hills a car or truck is often past by the time I can do anything.

In the house or around the areas we go off leash (gorges completely surrounded by 50ft+ cliffs)
he's totally fine. he'll come when I call him, and if he walks too far ahead I can tell him to wait or come back.

·
Registered
2,643 Posts
I generally would have my dogs off-leash around cars and trucks. It's too easy that something goes wrong and the dog gets hurt.
But you should also work on him relaxing around trucks and cars, to reduce stress for the dog. even if he doesn't seem fearfull, barking and going after de truck sounds very stressul to me, so I'd countercondition him on them, if I were you.

·
Premium Member
10,780 Posts
Start the recall training in the most boring room in the house, then as he becomes reliable move to areas with more distraction in the house, then out in the backyard, then front yard, finally onto areas with more and more distractions. As you increase the distractions start to use higher value treats.

For an emergency recall you may want to find as high a value treat as you can, reserve it just for the recall and teach him that every time he comes when he hears the recall he gets that treat.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.