Dog Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
722 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my Rusty has about 2-3 weeks to go to the birth of the pups. I see there is some some controversy over deworming the pregnant bitch. Some seem to think from now on every day, with the current proce of worming tabs that will bankrupt me. Others seem to think it's very dangerous to deworm the bitch at all during pregnancy.
Those of you who breed, what's your protocol? Vet Techs advise me please. I am taking Jess to the vets on friday to have her microchip checked and will talk to him then but was sondering what the experience of the people on this forum is.

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
I give ivermectin monthly, pregnant or not, and never had an issue. What are you deworming for? Honestly, I would go with your vets advice.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
722 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi everyone, thanks. I don't have a specific type of worm I want to deworm for. I noticed a few days ago she's scooting her back end across the grass and usually when one or more of my dogs do that I deworm. It usually seems to coincide with times when they've been eating a lot of raw meat. We live on a farm, so that's something they see quite a lot of. Their main diet is kibble, but they get meat once or twice a month.

·
Registered
6,472 Posts
Could be anal glands and not worms

·
Registered
722 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Amanda, yes my vet also said that once and I asked him if so, why do they stop doing it after I deworm them? He didn't really have an answer for me. They scoot across the grass, I pop a dewromer tab into a piece of russian or some such yummie, they think xmas came early cause they're getting such a high value treat and afterwards they stop scooting across the grass. That's why I normally deworm when they start scooting across the grass.

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
They could express them on their own, if its anal glands. I have seen many with worms that don't scoot, and many that scoot with no worms. I would take a stool sample in to the vet. It's super cheap, fast, and if they have worms, you know what type and what type of deworming to administer. I don't like to just give a general dewormer, it can cause resistance in parasites, its not treating anything if the dog doesn't have worms, and no dewormer kills all types. Also depending on the drug in the dewormer, some are not safe to give pregnant or lactating bitches.
Posted via Mobile Device

1 - 7 of 7 Posts