Dog Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, im new here and this is my first post. So i have a 1yr old English Springer (murphy), he is a field bread dog, so he is quite small compared to show dogs.

Murphy had one of the best coats that we have ever seen on a springer, a real stunning looking dog, everyone thought so from vets to other owners.

we noticed that he was getting small amounts of matted fur under his ears, so we took him to the groomer. We asked to have his ears de-matted and for a wash.

When we went back to collect our dog, the groomer had shaved off all his beatuiful coat, including all feathering on legs and tail. WE WERE DEVASTATED! now he has very short tight hair and altho he still looks lovely, he is not the dog he was.

we did not make much fuss, just took him home and praised him anyway as we did not want him to see grooming as a stressful time.

This is the scary part... Can anyone tell me if he will grow his great coat back including the great leg and tail feathers? How long will this process take?

Thank You For reading,
simon

·
Registered
3,165 Posts
Wow Did you ask the groomer why they went against your instructions?
Did they say it was a mistake or something that couldn't be avoided because of additional matts that you may not have been aware of? Did they offer any type of explanation for the clip they did? That is strange because most groomers try to do exactly what you ask of them, even if they don't agree with the cut/style etc. Giving the customers what they want is usually a priority. It's just not good business to go against the clients wishes as it sure doesn't make for a return customer....wow.....I'm sorry this happened. I take it, they still charged you for something you didn't ask for?

I"m not familiar with Springer Spaniel coats, so I cant offer any words of comfort in regard to how long it will take to regrow or what condition it will be.

On a side note tho....If they cant offer you an acceptable explanation for what they did or at the very least apologize for their error, I would make it a point to bring it to the attention of all those around me, in the community -- to use caution when dealing with them and discourage friends, family etc... from doing business with them in the future.

Best of Luck

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Hi mischief,

i was put in touch with her via my parents who send their basset hound to her. I asked why she shaved him and the response was "i thought it would be better for a dog that stays in the home". I was not happy. The dog may spend his time around the house yes, however he spends as much time outside and in the water, which living in Ireland i can tell you is quite cold!

I have made everyone aware, and i also today have just noticed that she has cut him in several places. I will no longer be using her service nor will my parents/friends.

·
Registered
618 Posts
How awful! I don't have an answer to your questions either but I was just appalled when I read your post!

I'd be furious if someone did that to my Shelties!

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
Not good! It should grow back though? My last groomer (never again) cut my dog as well. Mum got him shaved for summer (and we will now stick to trims, he didn't seem to like being shaved and just didn't look right). But anyway the groomer left patches of unshaved fur and heaps of cuts! I'm not sure how long it will take the coat to grow back, but it should be back in a few months.

·
Registered
843 Posts
Thats a shame that she would do such a thing. As a apprentice groomer myself. we do not go against owners wishs, UNLESS there is no choice, such as to much matts ect. If your correct about just the small matts behind the ears, id be furious and give them a call.

his coat will grow back over time.

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
i would have given them a piece of my mind and either not payed or asked for a refund. not only did they go against your wishes but they cut your dog a few times. then i would have advised people not to go there. im not going to pay for a service that i did not ask for and was done poorly on top of it.

·
Registered
2,855 Posts
I went to grooming school (though I don't groom now, it ended up not being for me) and we got in springer spaniels, and they have a very specific breed cut. if they did that breed clip, is one thing, or if he had un mattable matts, but to choose to shave the dog cus that is what the GROOMER wanted for the dog when there was no issues with the hair to begin with is very irresponsible for the groomer.. I'd be furious as well. I understand why you feel the way you do. It doesn't sound like that groomer knows anything about dog breeds much less what to do with each breed.

I hate to say it, but if it is a close shave I'd be looking at a few months or maybe more for the coat to grow back fully again. I am not sure how similar the coat would be as it previously was, but I doubt a drastic difference.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I can understand where your coming from years ago I had a terrier mix. She had a really nice long coat similar to a Skye terrier; we think she was part Skye terrier. She also had an undercoat. We took her to the groomer one time this was in winter. For whatever reason they gave her a schnauzer cut. Least to say it was quite a shock when we picked her up. Even more that they would do this in the middle of winter. She was still cute and her coat did grow back.

·
Registered
63 Posts
If a groomer is going to go against your instructions, they should call you first. I would have come unglued in that situation. You don't have to be a screaming lunatic (this isn't productive in any case) but don't be afraid to tell someone flatly that what they've done is unacceptable. The good news is that your dog's coat will almost certainly grow back just as it was. I've heard that shaved dogs sometimes don't regrow their hair properly, but I've shaved my Aussies in the summer for years (where I live it gets to be 115 degrees in the summer, and I can only walk them in the evening) and have never seen this happen.

·
Registered
843 Posts
I've heard that shaved dogs sometimes don't regrow their hair properly, but I've shaved my Aussies in the summer for years (where I live it gets to be 115 degrees in the summer, and I can only walk them in the evening) and have never seen this happen.
Double coated breeds such as aussies should not be shaved, as their coat will not grow back properly. Single coated breeds such as the OP's should have no problem growing back

·
Registered
63 Posts
Double coated breeds such as aussies should not be shaved, as their coat will not grow back properly. Single coated breeds such as the OP's should have no problem growing back
I heard that, after I'd already shaved mine for the first summer. All coats grew back just as they were, and honestly, it's too hot here in the summer to walk them outside much without shaving them, even at night.

·
Registered
6 Posts
right if ur lucky the coat may stay nice, but its very lickly to go wooly or get slightly thicker now its been shaved. you also find this happens when a dog is spayed or neutered.

if u ring around your local groomers and find out if any of the hand strip or if u can google it.

normally i card the natural spaniels which just pulls out any dead coat and dosnt change the texture of the coat, not all groomers can do this so u need to ask .

if u want to try it ur self its pretty easy give ur dog a good brush then bye a stripping knife i use a red one made by mikki i find its the most easiest one to use , then sinning at the back of the dog u drag the knife trough the coat with the knife at about a 30 degree angle or if u start to get little tuffs of fluffy hair come trough u maybe able to just take a few strands at a time and pull them out this will encourage the new hair underneath to become shiny and sleek.

im really sorry im so bad at explaining things like this.

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
I heard that, after I'd already shaved mine for the first summer. All coats grew back just as they were, and honestly, it's too hot here in the summer to walk them outside much without shaving them, even at night.
dogs coats really dont and shouldnt be shaved down because of temperature. they have those coats and are adapted to regulating their body temps with those coats.

·
Registered
12,054 Posts
Ditto GDM. Undercoats serve a purpose and dogs with these coats can keep cool during summer and warm during winter.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
843 Posts
A good brush out and blow dry will make the dogs feel much better. AS were "made" in the unitied states, they were bred for the weather where you are. they will survive the heat if the coat is properly mantained. You may shave them 34 times, and the 35th time their coat may not grow back ata ll. its a gamble. And one I would not take for my dog.

The shop I work for outright refuses to shave any nautraly coated breed.Its not good at all.

·
Registered
37 Posts
i have a small field bred english springer and don't panick! the feathers WILL grow back, i have mine shaved off because i just prefer it on him as he is always getting things stuck in him when he os out in the field, as he has to go into the bushes etc. it might take a while, i noticed that his grows quite slow, we have to clip him every few months to keep it down but they always grow back. :)

·
Registered
32 Posts
I can understand. When I was in college for grooming, I had this small little Cocker Spaniel(It was like a miniature one) named Daisy. BEAUTIFUL coat. But when I took her into the groomer I said and I quote "Just cut the matts". Well, what did the groomer do, SHE SHAVED HER COMPLETELY.

I refused to pay the lady. She even had a certificate from the school I was going to! So I left with a completely shaved dog and my money.

I can understand. Whenever an owner comes to hand over their dog for grooming, I write down exactly what they want so that way I don't forget anything.

·
Registered
120 Posts
I agree that it was irresponsible and rude to shave the coat that close. I know when I cut my Cocker if it is ridiculously short it looks /terrible./ Both Springers and Cockers are known for their specific breed cut, that shows off a beautiful, long coat. I would actually ask for a refund, and probably be very very angry at the breeder--because I would think what the customer wants would be priority.

In Ireland too, I can imagine it getting cold. Even my Cocker with her long coat gets cold in the 40 degrees or so in Texas, but she likes to cuddle in blankets.

All I can say is, that sucks =/

·
Registered
1 Posts
It was definately very bad business to shave your dog, one thing I learned when I first started on my own was to ask for ALOT of specifics, even if the owner is very passive and acts like they don't really care too much. One thing to keep in mind for the future is to be VERY specific about what you want. Just say flat out, shave here, don't touch this, brush that. It may seem like too much, but atleast that way you both know that there was no miscommunication. I would definately complain, plus if she cut your dog, she should have been the one to point it out and offer some re-compansation. That's just not acceptable

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.