Dog Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Determining if my dog is too aggressive?

1K views 8 replies 9 participants last post by  DriveDog 
I know it is semantics...but look at "aggressive" behavior as gonna pick or start a fight or attack...which is different from dominant or assertive behaviors like you described. Too many people get worked up over "aggression" in dogs when they don't understand the behaviors.

Pax has similar tendencies...would never and has never escalated to a fight but as 1/2 border collie he can come on strong, hard, and snarly just as you described freaking some overly sensitive dogs and even owners out.

Just like may other areas of their lives, you need to teach them what is acceptable behavior and what is not. Time outs and end of play time just as you did when they were biting as a puppy or jumping on you...it is just another behavior that needs to be modified to what you want and teach what is acceptable.

Socialization is what she needs...but controlled. It is most likely "play" in your dog's mind...but you need to teach them what is acceptable play and what is not.

Even today, Pax can occasionally be a brat at the park. There are days where he is a perfect angel and days where I can see he is a "mood" and not the right mix of dogs for him to play with so we head out and go do something else. I can see it in his eyes when he locks onto another dog visually and I can recall him to divert his attention before he crosses the line. Get to know your dog better then she knows herself.

Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.