Dog Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Banned
6,350 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So im not sure if this is related to the quakes or what but at my parents she chewed the stuffing out of her pig $16.90 but was 2 for $10 at the time and today she destryoed her monkey which i got with the pig she is mostly 9 months (9 months next week) before this she took excellent care of her toys and her two stuffed rabbits are still intact. Ive picked up her toys up high and given her the mint tough rope and the teether massager which thankfully she is using now.

Is this teething behaviour or what? it is out of character for Jessie hence my asking

I am just curious and bit bothered by this.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Mine destroy toys but it doesn't bother me. I learn to buy toys that don't have any stuffing in it. Better toys get destroy than your shoes or sofa :p

·
Registered
10,646 Posts
Awww!!!! She's discovered the joys of gutting stuffed animals. Shadow and, when I had her, Jersey LOVED to gut stuffed animals. They took great pleasure in it, and I never did have it in me to deny them their fun but I would have had to if they were actually eating the stuffing but they never did.

To make sure stuffed animals lasted longer then a few days I'd only get the ones that had no dangling arms or legs, and no nose, eyes, or ears. If they had any of those they quickly pull it off. I'd also only get cheap ones so their gut the teddy habit didn't break the bank.

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
Welcome to the club Hahaha the joys of destruction

Leesi's toys dont last more than 30 minutes in general, goes for stuffies, ropes and kong tennis balls. Only thing that lasts relatively long is a Nylabone but have had to throw away 2 in a month.

·
Banned
6,350 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I thought the pig being destroyed was due to ozzy because jessie previously took such good care of her toys! then the monkey got destroyed today and i know it was her now :( she loves stuffed toys strange thing is the rabbits are still good and not ruined whys that then? she wont be getting any more till her birthday ( stuffed ones) but toys from price busters in the meantime when i am able to forgive her!

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
I thought the pig being destroyed was due to ozzy because jessie previously took such good care of her toys! then the monkey got destroyed today and i know it was her now :( she loves stuffed toys strange thing is the rabbits are still good and not ruined whys that then? she wont be getting any more till her birthday ( stuffed ones) but toys from price busters in the meantime when i am able to forgive her!
Today I have to forgive: My very nice duvet being eaten....Leesi was curled up under feigning sleep....but nooo meantime she was eating mommy's duvet so be glad it's just stuffed toys that's relatively inexpensive to replace.

Hehehehe and she enjoys 'killing' them :p

·
Banned
6,350 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Today I have to forgive: My very nice duvet being eaten....Leesi was curled up under feigning sleep....but nooo meantime she was eating mommy's duvet so be glad it's just stuffed toys that's relatively inexpensive to replace.

Hehehehe and she enjoys 'killing' them :p
We need to catch our pups in the act doing this! the little buggers lol. Charie is over at mine overnight so i dont think she will do anymore tonight

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
I'm currently contemplating if this is the 8/9 month drive your mother insane phase or if I'm just being too soft and need to be more stern at times.

Or if I'm just bloody useless at raising a dog

·
Banned
6,350 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm currently contemplating if this is the 8/9 month drive your mother insane phase or if I'm just being too soft and need to be more stern at times.

Or if I'm just bloody useless at raising a dog
Well i am more firmer with Jessie and take no non sense! I try to catch her in the act if i can. maybe get a empty small bottle and put quarter of dry pasta in it and screw lid on and when she does what she isnt supposed to shake it and say no or whatever i do it when Jessie digs at parents works wonders lol. I need to get small bottle myself and do the same

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
Susie never destroyed any of her toys but Kris takes great pleasure in de-stuffing her Stuffies. I just pick them up at Garage sales for around 25 cents or sometimes free and let her have her fun. She has some of them that she has never destroyed and the others usually last a few days before I find stuffing everywhere.

MAH01099 - YouTube This one lasted the longest.

·
Registered
2,712 Posts
Well i am more firmer with Jessie and take no non sense! I try to catch her in the act if i can. maybe get a empty small bottle and put quarter of dry pasta in it and screw lid on and when she does what she isnt supposed to shake it and say no or whatever i do it when Jessie digs at parents works wonders lol. I need to get small bottle myself and do the same
This isn't a great method of training. You might be able to suppress some behaviors that way, but you're not training your dog what you want them to do instead. You should read Ian Dunbar and watch kikopup for training that really helps.

As for "forgiving" your dog for destroying a toy, I just don't get it. That's what dogs do. Your dog has no idea what you paid for a toy. Your dog is incapable of such a thing. If your dog is like mine, just buy really cheap toys in bulk and let your dog enjoy the destruction. Heck, I love to watch Kabota destuff a toy. He has it down to a science!

·
Registered
10,646 Posts
This isn't a great method of training. You might be able to suppress some behaviors that way, but you're not training your dog what you want them to do instead. You should read Ian Dunbar and watch kikopup for training that really helps.

As for "forgiving" your dog for destroying a toy, I just don't get it. That's what dogs do. Your dog has no idea what you paid for a toy. Your dog is incapable of such a thing. If your dog is like mine, just buy really cheap toys in bulk and let your dog enjoy the destruction. Heck, I love to watch Kabota destuff a toy. He has it down to a science!

Worse case Jessie may be "taught" to not play with toys.

I'd give almost anything to have Shadow play with his toys again and gut them, and to have Jersey back to do the same. I used to love watching the two of them make it look like it had snowed in the house when the stuffing went everywhere, they'd have such fun making the stuffing fly, and the look of joy on their faces was priceless. I can't even begin to say how much I miss it.

·
Banned
6,350 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Oh i do forgive her cant not forgive her LOL just if thats what is going to happen all the time then i will go price busters and get thier cheap toys till she learns how to play with them again without getting stuffing out.

I wont do the shaking bottle unless she starts digging as i dont want that behaviour esp in my flower beds! I need to move couch so i can see her but due to small lounge not easily done! So she goes behind couch where i cant see her cheeky rascal lol.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts