Dog Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I have a 1 year old male Bichon Frise along with a 10 year old female cockapoo, and a 15 year old female Pomeranian. I am having a problem trying to stop my Bichon from marking all over the house. I have tried keeping him on his leash but it is impossible, as I work out of my house, to keep an eye on him all the time. He has a few "favorite" spots and one of them is on my living room wood floor. My wife says that we need to get him neutered which will stop him from doing so but when we had our 10 year old cockapoo spayed the vet told us that as she got older she would put on weight, which she did, and I do not want to have the same thing happen to the Bichon. My wife and I also had plans to get a female Bichon and to raise puppies and sell them but at this time with our schedules that is on hold but we are still open to studding him out.

My question is how do we stop the marking in the house as it is really starting to become a problem.

Thanks,

Glenn

·
Registered
13,331 Posts
Neutering does reduce house marking.
However you still fundamentally have a house-training problem that you will need to work on, even if he does get neutered.

The dog must not be left with access to his chosen toilet-marking areas. Every time he pees inside, the habit is strengthened. If you cannot have him on a leash with you, then he should be crated.

Was he ever reliably house trained?
What is the longest he's gone without peeing inside?
Did you raise him from puppyhood?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Tess,

To answer your questions...no, he was never reliably house trained. We are still working on getting him trained. He is better than he was but we still have a problem with him. My wife and I are going to put more of a concerted effort to keep him on a leash when we are busy or in his pen. The only problem with keeping him in his pen is that he will bark continuously until we let him out.

The second question...it is really hard to say how often he marks but I would have to admit that at soon as he is out of our site he will mark his "favorite" spots in the house.

The third question...yes we did get him at 8 weeks old and have been raising him ever since. I have even taken him to PetSmart to try to get him trained but and I am still working with him to try to get him to listen but as soon as he is with our 10 year old cockapoo he forgets about what he has learned and just does what he would like to do.

I am open to any suggestions you could offer.

Thanks.

Glenn

·
Registered
604 Posts
First I would definitely get him neutered. If you have never done any breeding I would leave it to the professionals. Reliable breeders know all about diseases that need to be checked for before breeding. As far as the potty training, as soon as you let him out of his pen get him outside so he does not have time to mark in the house. You can put the leash on him before you let him out and then go real fast out the door, no stopping. There are a lot of threads on here on how to go about training, but you need to be consistent. Good lluck!

·
Registered
5,854 Posts
Are the females spayed? If they are not you will not be able to train him to stop hiking in the house. Neutering is the only way to help reduce the hormonal need to mark his females area.

If you think he is bad now wait till you stud him out. He will only get worse. Not only with the hiking but with the pining when a female in your area comes in heat. Digging out, climbing fences, whining, not eating..the list goes on.

It also helps to clean his marking with an enzyme cleaner to get rid of the odor.

·
Registered
728 Posts
Weight gain as related to neutering/spaying is a myth. All dogs fill out when they hit middle age, you just need to adjust their exercise and diet accordingly. When our hyper-active spitz mix (she's in my avatar) hit 5 she started to bulk up a bit. All we needed to do was decrease her food by half a cup.
In terms of mark-prevention, you need to:
• put him on a schedule - trips outside after sleep, play, eating, and otherwise at a 2-3 hour intervals. If he's empty, he can't mark.
• when he goes outside, mega praise and food! Something wet and smelly and awesome. Cooked chicken, cheese, hotdog. Something he LOVES that he only gets for going outside
• if you catch him marking inside, interrupt but do not scold or punish. Just run him outside instantly and see the previous step for rewarding successful toilets.
• clean all the spots he has marked with an enzymatic cleaner. Regular cleaners arren't enough. An enzymatic neutralizes the specific proteins in urine that a dog will try to mark over.
• if all else fails, belly band him. Most dog's hate the sensation of a wet belly band. It makes going in the house much less rewarding.
It's good to think of house training in terms of what's rewarding the dog. A dog that toilets in the house quickly learns that inside = warm/safe/easy/instant gratification. Unless they get a praise party and great food for going outside, they learn that outside = distracting/unsafe/cold/hot/wet. It's easy to understand why they make the choices they do, your job is to actively work against this association.

As an aside, I'm not going to give you too much flack, but unless your dog is of excellent temperament, health tested, and of good breeding lines, please don't breed :)
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
I'll add just a bit, if the male doesn't listen, has no training, and isn't house trained, is that something you would like to create a whole litter of? Could be that he passes his non biddability to the pups. Many owners would take a dog that isn't easy to train to the shelter.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
10,646 Posts
Neuter him. Your vet was wrong. As Militantanimist said the weight gain after spaying or neutering is a myth. If the dog gets enough exercise and is not overfed it will not get fat. I got my female dog when she was 3 yrs old had her spayed and she was not overweight when she passed away at the age of 13. My boy was 8 months old when he was neutered and he's now 16 yrs 11 months old he is not overweight at all.

Everyone gave you great advice regarding house training him, please follow it.

Unless you have done ALL the health testing for genetic disease common in Bichon Frise, and your dog meets all the breed standards, then you should not be studding him out.

·
Registered
824 Posts
I don't think your dog is marking, perse, in the true definition as much as your dog just is not properly housebroken.

Though there are some hormonal issues, marking is a training issue.

My (formerly) intact male marked exactly one time in the house. I had just brought home an intact rescue dog that was not housebroken and he peed on the recliner. My boy went right over and peed on that before I cleaned the first one up. That was true marking and he was caught in the act and watched carefully for any new signs.... he never did it again. He was intact until 17 months.

I would neuter him. Please do not breed him. No offense, but if you don't even know how to housebreak, then breeding is not the next step here. I know you say you "can't watch" everything, but that's probably what got you to this point. If you "can't," then you will continue to have this issue and dog urine in your home. You have an ingrained problem now that will require far more diligence than a puppy even. Neutering will NOT cure this. Only training will.

Good luck.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts