Dog Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
I am fairly new to the world of dog. It had been since I was a kid that I have had a puppy. Me and my new husband had moved in together, so we recently picked out our first corgi puppy, Gimli. He is now 7 months old and is smarter than ever. My 14 year old brother lives with me and over time, Gimli, has been showing some signs of aggression towards him. We go to the dog park daily to exercise, social interaction, and get some extra training done. When he's in training classes he is totally okay with other people and dogs, except for dogs that try to mount him since he is now becoming a young man he retaliates harshly when he gets annoyed. Normally I work till the afternoon, so I ask my brother that as soon as he gets home to take Gimli for a walk, but when he walks in the door, Gimli pees and tries to attack my brother. With me, he has no problems, and my husbands usually out of the picture, due to being deployed on a ship. My brother says he can't recall anything that he could have done to upset Gimli, other than they got into a little fit one day when he was on the leash, but they were cool up until recently. Sometimes it's even with me around, if my brother tries to walk passed him, he'll snarl and lung at him to attack him even though my brother has done nothing but enter the room. We figured it may be a dominance issue so we had scheduled him to be neutered as soon as possible, in hopes that it might calm him down. One day we had our friends watch him for a while, and he tried to bite one friend for just trying to put on his leash, and then later on, he was sleeping on my girlfriend and she moved him ever so slightly and he tried to bite her. The only time he's ever bitten me is when I tried to take something from him that he really wasn't supposed to have in his mouth. Then 2 days ago, we were trying on harnesses at the petstore, Gimli bit the store associate when she tried putting the harness over his head, I'm afraid to even take him to doggy daycare in fear that he might bite someone there. My main concern is with my brother at home since he's there 24/7. Is there any training techniques that I could use to show Gimli that my brother is not a bad person and show him that he is more dominant than Gimli? I was told by multiple people that I was supposed to calmly pin him to the floor till however long it takes for him to calm down and to tell him no. But I'm just wondering if it's too much or not enough.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,631 Posts
I'm not getting any dominance behaviour from what you've described. The only option I would apply here is getting a positive based trainer to assess and work with the dog one on one. This sounds like it is escalating and I would be grabbing professional help ASAP

·
Super Moderator
11,911 Posts
I agree with @Chas. Based on your description it's not likely a dominance issue.

Pinning him down isn't a good idea. Wolves and dogs only pin another when it's a serious threat... they very often mean to harm the dog they are pinning. Dogs who roll over to submit do so willingly on their own. Honestly pinning or alpha rolling a dog typically ends up just exacerbating the underlying issue. And it's a really good way to cause a more serious bite.

Anyway, you're certainly at point here where working with a pro is in order.
Here's a thread that may help you find a behaviorist, behavior consultant, or trainer.
http://www.dogforum.com/training-be...ainer-behavior-consultant-behaviorist-113946/

·
Registered
15 Posts
Have you tried just letting your little brother tossing treats at Gimli?
Whenever Gimli looks at your little brother in a non offensive/aggressive way, toss a treat. Don't expect anything from him, babysteps building up trust.

Is it possible he is stressed rapidly?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm not too entirely sure. I was talking with a friend about it. and my brother has been stressing me out quite a bit so I'm almost wondering if some of it is him being protective? Sometimes the way my brother approaches him is that he kind of hovers over him without saying anything and I told him that he should come down to his level and speak to him in a happy tone so that Gimli understands that he's being kind. Gimli sometimes rolls on his back for him, but then as soon as my brother pets him he pees. I think when he's snarling at me, it's more of, I don't like the word "no" so I'm going to keep barking or get back up when you tell me down... He's a hard one to read because he does get so defiant. I had a trainer tell me that I should tie his lead to my waist for about a week to show him my dominance, and that he goes where I go and does what I do.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Rolling over on his back and peeing sounds like overly submissive behavior, rather than aggression. It may be that Gimli is afraid of your brother, and is attempting to be submissive and then is having a fear reaction to something your brother does.

Try having your brother just ignore Gimli and not interact with him when they're in the same room, and see if this helps Gimli calm down.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts