Dog Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would love advice from anyone! Four days ago my husband and I adopted a three year old female Wheaten Terrier from a rescue. We have a male wheaten who we adopted 4 years ago... he came potty trained. Our new girl is currently in our kitchen, blocked off with a baby gate. She is TERRIFIED of being in the kennel and I just can't bring myself to keep her in it. I have her on a twice a day feeding schedule. We take her out twice in the morning before we leave for work, my husband comes home mid day and takes her out, and then we take her out 4-5 times each night. She WILL NOT pee or poop in front of us. I watch her constantly while we are home but she will just hold it until we're in bed for the night , or gone for the day. I've managed to catch her "in the act" only once, and did the "ah ah" and took her outside. While we are outside she simply stands and looks at me. She doesn't roam and sniff or even make attempts to explore the yard. She has seen my other dog go potty outside. I don't play with her or really acknowledge her outside, I only say "Go Potty". I know that it's only been a few days, but I'm worried that we aren't even getting the option to praise her because she won't go in front of us! She has not been to the bathroom outside ONCE. Please help!

·
Registered
375 Posts
Looks like a case where you're going to have to do two things in main lines:

1) go back to square one and start potty training her like she's a puppy
and
2) counter condition the avoidance of doing her thing outside.

My impression is that you're taking her out into the garden to do her thing. My suggestion would be to take extended walks. Perhaps (although I don't like them) use a long leash so she can take a little distance. The long walk may help her to relax and the long leash make help her get enough distance between you and her that she's comfortable doing her thing. If you trust her to walk off leash that might help as well.

It doesn't surprise me to hear that people have this problem. I've seen all kinds of (miserable) dog owners "admonishing" their dogs, particularly for pooping in places where the owner didn't think it was appropriate. Good chance that you've landed one of those. Counter conditioning this response could take some time but it should be possible with patience and .... more patience.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am having a similar issue. I adopted my 2 year old husky mix yesterday and we have spent most of our time outside. but she will not do her business outside at all. for example, just this evening I took her on a 1 hour 45 minute walk.. she didn't even act like she might pee the entire time. we walk in the door and within 5 minutes she pees on the living room rug. I did catch her as she was starting, and tried to interrupt and move her but she just kept peeing as I was moving her towards the door. I'm at a loss. we spent 7 hours outside yesterday in chunks of 1-3 hours at a time and she only peed indoors. I don't know how to reinforce a behavior (peeing outside) that I can't get her to do yet. help!

·
Registered
5 Posts
I would love advice from anyone! Four days ago my husband and I adopted a three year old female Wheaten Terrier from a rescue. We have a male wheaten who we adopted 4 years ago... he came potty trained. Our new girl is currently in our kitchen, blocked off with a baby gate. She is TERRIFIED of being in the kennel and I just can't bring myself to keep her in it. I have her on a twice a day feeding schedule. We take her out twice in the morning before we leave for work, my husband comes home mid day and takes her out, and then we take her out 4-5 times each night. She WILL NOT pee or poop in front of us. I watch her constantly while we are home but she will just hold it until we're in bed for the night , or gone for the day. I've managed to catch her "in the act" only once, and did the "ah ah" and took her outside. While we are outside she simply stands and looks at me. She doesn't roam and sniff or even make attempts to explore the yard. She has seen my other dog go potty outside. I don't play with her or really acknowledge her outside, I only say "Go Potty". I know that it's only been a few days, but I'm worried that we aren't even getting the option to praise her because she won't go in front of us! She has not been to the bathroom outside ONCE. Please help!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts