Dog Forum banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
While I have concerns for example, with the "hybrid breeding" of dogs of substantially different sizes (i.e. Pomsky) whereby the larger dog for example must be a female, the same could be said of Karl Friedrich Louis Dobermann. His namesake's ancestry is believed to include, a small terrier ... same with the Miniature Pincher (+German Pincher / Italian Greyhound / Dachshund). Many of the ancestor breeds from this time have been lost to time.

AKC started in 1936 with 13 member clubs... now it includes over 150 breeds, subsets of the breeds have been developed to obtain desired results such as varying coats. This past January, AKC recognized two new dog breeds, the Russian Toy and the Hungarian Mudi. The Mudi has also been an internationally "recognized breed" since since 1936, the Toy since 1988.

It is certainly a controversial issue but I don't think it's what you are doing as much whether you are doing it responsibly and ethically. It could be argued that breeders of designer dogs at least have the advantage of today's science where as in the 1800s and before, they were just shooting from the hip. And it's not as if every one of today's breeders is bothering to to breed responsibly. Have to wonder how much of the anti hybrid animosity comes from the high price tag associated with many hybrid breeds.

As to the "moral superiority" claim, how does one make a determination that members of the American Canine Hybrid Club (ACHC) are any less professional and serious about their breeding programs than Breeders of Purebreds affiliated with the AKC ? Frankly, I have the same concern, even more so, w/ certain AKC breeds with high instances of genetic problems.

A business associate has a Labrador - Weimeraner mix. As a previous Lab Owner, her new arrivals came home 1-2-3 (breeder recommendation, phone call, visit to see the parents, pay the cash, take dog home). With the "Labmaraner" she was surprised at the process, though I imagine some of this is due to the high demand, breeds can afford to be more selective. She had to fill out an application, get "evaluated", allow a home visit and be interviewed ... she also received test results on both parents and (clear eye test, hip and elbow scores, PRA and DNA tests). Not exactly what you see happening in the pet store at the mall or even with many breeders who advertise online. Morally, I'm more comfortable with this hybrid, than I am with the Pug for example w/ hip displaysia found in 2/3 of those tested in a 36 year study as well as high incidences of breathing and other problems.

It's generally accepted that mixed breed dogs have less genetic disorders than purebreds ... for most genetic disorders this does not bear up under statistical analysis. However this does not hold true for many of the more common disorders such as dilated cardiomyopathy, dysplasia, cataracts, trachea related problems and hypothyroidism.

While it's certainly a worthy goal to have a dog that was bred to provide desired and behavioral traits desired or needed by the owner, it should always be done within the confines of a result where the quality of life for the dog is paramount. In short, while I can see the argument from both sides, the high incidence of genetic issues associated with various purebred breeds, doesn't exactly provide a platform to point fingers.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts