Dog Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Remember you asked. No, I don't think they're worthwhile. I think they're another marketing type thing driven by knowing people are always wanting new and different. So -- giants of breeds that aren't giants, teacups of small dogs that shouldn't be that small. Strange colors in breeds that don't have those colors without a secret cross to another breed. No one can convince me there aren't purebred dogs to satisfy any particular needs, and while a lot of mixes are great dogs, if that's what you want, why not adopt from a rescue or shelter instead of paying thousands to someone who is by definition a BYB.

·
Registered
162 Posts
I'll admit some of my prejudice has to do with the prices. Why exactly would anyone pay as much or more for some of these crosses as for one of the purebred parents? Why are some of these crosses being done? Not all of them have anything to do with allergies, and I doubt the percentage of the population that needs or wants a dog supposedly better for allergic people is high enough to provide homes for all these puppies.

A friend of mine recently found a stray female, 4-5 years old, in heat. From appearance, she thinks the dog is a Sharpei-pit cross. To her surprise when she did some internet searches on Sharpei she found there are people deliberately doing this cross. Why? Do you think there are people standing in line for pit crosses? The shelters are full of them. And if there is a market for this cross, which there must be, what kind of homes are they? Probably the kind who turn a 4-5 year old female in heat out on the city streets, no microchip, no identification.

My second prejudice is where the breeding stock comes from. It's true there are more irresponsible breeders of purebred dogs than good ones. And the irresponsible ones, with inferior breeding stock, are the ones who will knowingly sell a puppy to someone who plans to breed it to produce mixes. Alternatively, to acquire dogs to breed, the prospective breeder of designer dogs lies to a decent breeder, violates contract provisions requiring them to spay or neuter, and/or goes ahead and breeds in spite of having received limited registration papers -- after all they can't register the offspring anyway.

So as far as I'm concerned, no matter what health tests they do to represent themselves as responsible, these people are not. They're liars and cheats who've set out to make easy money off dogs. Not that there aren't people who do the same with purebreds. They do. They're called BYB and puppy mills and greeders. So the parent dogs are healthy. What about the grandparents, great-grandparents? What happens to the Goldenpoo that ends up with a Golden coat but was purchased by someone with an allergic kid who didn't even understand in the first place that even actual poodles aren't really hypoallergenic?

1 - 2 of 2 Posts