Dog Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
DESIGN
1. Does anyone know of any good architect to design a dog kennel?

SURFACES AND DRAINAGE
2. What surfaces do you find are best? I have seen traditionally that people recommend concrete. But, I am looking online at a couple companies that sell turf specifically aimed at pets. These include: SoftLawn Pet Turf; UrineFREE, and TigerTurf. Does anyone have any experience with these?

·
Registered
2,800 Posts
Like kennels to keep dogs in? Why would you want turf in the kennels?

Or is the turf for a yard or something?

One kennel I worked for had concrete floors with a rubber mat floor for a play area. The two kennels I work at now have epoxy painted over concrete which is easy to clean and anti slip.

I don't know any architects but I've seen a lot of kennels with really cool designs. You could look at different kennels and contact the owners of the ones you like the most to see who designed/constructed them.

What is the purpose? Daycare, boarding, training, shelter, private kennel?

There's a magazine called Pet Boarding and Daycare that has articles that feature well designed kennels and also has lots of ads in it for companies that build/sell different parts of kennels (facilities, dog runs, yards, air filtration systems, etc).

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, the turf would be for a yard or play area.

I am helping a friend who wants to design a kennel. Eventually, I would like my own board and train facility.

I am an architect, and typically, when I start a project like this, I have lots of reference material on hand, but this is different. I appreciate the reference to the magazine, which looks really neat!

I also appreciate that you like the epoxy painted over concrete. Sounds like a good choice. I must do more research!

I think drainage is probably the key.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts