Dog Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have had my border terrier since he was eight weeks old. i got him after years and years of begging. well for my tenth birthday the dream came true:D apart from chewing numerous lego bricks and plastic dinosaurs ( i have two younger siblings) as a puppy he was an angel. his house training went well though he did have a little shiver/tremble thing which he outgrew:confused:
however he hit adolescence and got very naughty! when i took him for his walks he start this crazy running thing in big circles, top speed, and then he would get closer and leap up and nip me. luckily he hardly ever does this and i now realise it was an under exercise thing, he was probably full of pent up energy. Anyway we moved into our new house and i started secondary school. Ezra( thats his name) had attended dog training before and got his puppy certificate but was still very excited whenever he saw a dog and would bolt off after it, deaf to my calls. we stopped when we moved and as i got busier ezzy(his nickname) had to take a bit more of a back seat. however i continued with his training and he now gets enough exercise.
now things have calmed down more at school i have noticed that ezzy can be a bit meek and subdued when we are in the house. out on walks he is lively and obedient 50% off the time, no longer biting me at all. yet sometimes at home he just stands with his head low to the ground and im wondering if he could be depressed? he gets very happy when we have visitors but he always has his ears back. is this submissiveness or is he nervous? when the neighbours dogs bark he barks very loudly at them, and sometimes in his more quiet days loud noises spook him. however he doesnt wonder round whimpering with his tail between his legs.
im wondering if it could be his food or the way ive trained hm?
im sorry for the long post i just want him to be happy:eek:

·
Registered
18,782 Posts
Head low and ears back are what are called "appeasement' gestures. Som' people might refer to it as submission.

Basically it sounds like your dog is simply saying "I mean no harm" in doggy body language. Is his mouth open when these things happen?

Its not uncommon for dogs to turn "off" inside and "on" outside. Sounds normal to me. :)

Welcome to the forum btw

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
oh thankyou thats a relief :)
but what about standing still with his head just hanging down?:confused:

·
Registered
12,135 Posts
when he stands with his head low is this due to something that happened? like a correction? or do you just find him randomly standing like that? Bostons are such characters lol. Is he doing this behavior by the door? My big boy loves to go for walks that I cant even say the word or touch his leash without him going bonkers. When he sits by the front door staring at me all pathetic like I pick up a toy and throw it for him if I cant go for a walk. This seems to pip him up

·
Registered
18,782 Posts
oh thankyou thats a relief :)
but what about standing still with his head just hanging down?:confused:
Sound pretty normal to me too...its kinda like a neutral in between task thing they can do if they don't want to lay down. Its like us just standing there waiting for the bus.

That said, if the dog is corrected heavily (hard corrections, or tons of little ones) he may be shutting down, or constantly trying to appease you because of som' anxietly.

If you say his name does he perk up? If you move towards him does he move out of the way ? If so he's probably fine :)

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts