Dog Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone! I’m new to this and hoping somebody may have experience with dog depression. My girl is 12 years old and has gone through a lot these last few months. First we had to put her brother down. She was a little mopey for a couple of days but otherwise was ok. Then we started a full house remodel and have had a lot of construction going on and people in and out of our house. She did relatively well with all of this although she was a bit more anxious than normal. Now my sister has moved out and she is completely devastated. She became very close to my sister over the 5 years she lived with me. She stopped eating, will only go outside to potty 2x a day, and won’t let me anywhere near her. I’ve finally gotten her to eat a little by giving her soft food but she won’t eat it unless I’m not in the room. I’m trying to help her by reassuring her but like stated above she wants nothing to do with me. Anytime I try and pet her/snuggle her she will either turn her head or get up and walk away to another room. I’m at a loss for what to do. I want to help but I don’t know if constantly trying to reassure by being present is helping or making it worse seeing as how she wants nothing to do with me.

·
Super Moderator
1,591 Posts
Given her age, I wonder if there is anything physical going on - has she had a good vet check recently?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
She went to the vet in February for her annual exam and everything was good. When she first started acting like this I too thought maybe something was wrong but the more I have thought about it she was absolutely fine until the day after my sister moved out.

·
Super Moderator
1,591 Posts
Poor girl. How long has it been since your sister moved?

I'd probably just let her do as she wants by eating alone and being alone for a few days (still take her out to potty obviously) then maybe try going to her with something fabulous like roast chicken, and then immediately leaving her again so she isn't pressured. I know there are times I want to just not be with others, I'm sure some dogs are similar.

Hopefully she will come round, and maybe other people will have more ideas.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts