Dog Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've noticed in the past week that my 3 year-old morkie Enzo has had really bad breath. Naturally, I assumed it was because he was not drinking enough water since it's not as hot out anymore. We brush his teeth around every 2 weeks. Yesterday, I noticed that while brushing his teeth that his gums were more red than usual and they bled very easily while I brushed them very delicately. He also has some staining on his canines, which I'm now wondering is plaque. He's never had his teeth cleaned professionally because I'm hesitant about putting him under anesthesia.
The rest of his teeth seem fine, however these are the only areas of his mouth where his gums seem red and his teeth are stained.
I've done a lot of research because I'm very anxious for my little guy, and I know that Yorkshire terriers and Maltese are more likely than other dogs to have dental disease. Is this an early stage of periodontal disease?
I currently brush his teeth every 2 weeks and I give him plenty of chew toys that he rubs his teeth against, as well as beef knee caps, which he will spend hours chewing on. Do you have any recommendations to improve his dental hygiene, remove this staining and reduce the inflammation of his gums? Should I take him to get his teeth professionally cleaned? I'm just worried about them putting him under. Are there any alternatives? Please help!!!

·
Super Moderator
6,589 Posts
His gums do look a bit red in that first photo. But I don't think he would need to be anaesthetised to have them cleaned, I'd ask your vet if there is anything you can use to help his gums.

That said, if an anaesthetic is needed, remember vets do this all the time with animals a lot smaller, like hamsters for example.

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
My Chelsea had gum issues and had to get some teeth removed at 10 or 11YO. The vet sent us home with an antibacterial oral gel. She also asked us to brush her teeth everyday, since it only takes 48hrs for plaque to form to tarter. The tarter is the hard stuff to get off, so by daily teeth brushing, it does not have a chance to form tartar.

Before surgery (and prof teeth cleaning) I used a solution I got from the LPS. Idk if it works, but I used it and I think it helped to remove the tartar.

That is the first place tartar will appear, so the teeth aren't in horrible shape yet. With daily brushing with an enzymic toothpaste, it won't get any worse. The gums are redder than usual, but maybe they are irritated a bit atm. Agree, i'd ask your vet if there's anything you can get to ease his gums. Do you use a finger cot or brush? If using a brush, remember to brush away from the gum, not across them.

This is the stuff I got from the LPS
Nose Snout Hand Puppy Canidae

It claims to help remove tartar and promote healthy gums.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
My Chelsea had gum issues and had to get some teeth removed at 10 or 11YO. The vet sent us home with an antibacterial oral gel. She also asked us to brush her teeth everyday, since it only takes 48hrs for plaque to form to tarter. The tarter is the hard stuff to get off, so by daily teeth brushing, it does not have a chance to form tartar.

Before surgery (and prof teeth cleaning) I used a solution I got from the LPS. Idk if it works, but I used it and I think it helped to remove the tartar.

That is the first place tartar will appear, so the teeth aren't in horrible shape yet. With daily brushing with an enzymic toothpaste, it won't get any worse. The gums are redder than usual, but maybe they are irritated a bit atm. Agree, i'd ask your vet if there's anything you can get to ease his gums. Do you use a finger cot or brush? If using a brush, remember to brush away from the gum, not across them.

This is the stuff I got from the LPS
View attachment 248269
It claims to help remove tartar and promote healthy gums.
Thank you so much! I will check this out. And these were his gums before I brushed his teeth unfortunately. Thanks so much for your help!

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
Thank you so much! I will check this out. And these were his gums before I brushed his teeth unfortunately. Thanks so much for your help!
Awww bummer, I didn't mean to imply it was you who caused the redness.... def something irritating them, probably the plaque and bacteria. Maybe a saline might help the bacteria? I had the same issue with Chelsea, before her cleaning and surgery, I didn't want to touch her sore gums with a brush, so I wiped her teeth downward with a cotton sponge and used a gel on her gums. I'd contact the vet 1st though. That antibactiral oral gel or similar from the vet's might be the best.

Here's a pic of the antibacterial gel
Product

BreathaLyser GEL

1 - 5 of 5 Posts