Dog Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,904 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey y'all, I was wondering what your thoughts on dog treat products marketed as dental chews are. Obviously those that are rawhide would be a no, but what about some of the non-rawhide based ones? Do they offer additional benefit that teeth brushing and chewing on non-dental-specific chews (i.e. bully sticks) can't provide? If so, which one(s) would you recommend?

·
Registered
6,472 Posts
They're pretty much useless, IMO. The only things that keep teeth clean are RMBs and brushing.

·
Banned
7,625 Posts
I have my personal doubts as to how usefull they are. And the one time I gave Apollo a greenies type chew (I have no idea what brand it was, my SIL bought it) it turned his poop BRIGHT GREEN, which makes me wonder just whats IN them.....

·
Registered
1,904 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks, everyone. That is definitely what I had been thinking, but wanted to be sure because so many people swear by them. I didn't want to miss out on something that might be so good for Calypso.

And the one time I gave Apollo a greenies type chew (I have no idea what brand it was, my SIL bought it) it turned his poop BRIGHT GREEN.
...and on the other hand, now I'm really tempted.

·
Registered
439 Posts
I read, but haven't tried, that tendons are kinda like dental floss and much better than rawhide.

I think that like in humans, it depends on the type of saliva the dog has if he mouth will stay clean.

Panda eats his poop and 20 minutes later his mouth doesn't have a smell - at all

·
Registered
376 Posts
I dunno, I give mine a Denta Stick a day with their vitamin, no harm might help...they get bully sticks, bones and rawhides too. Sophie's teeth actually get compliments from strangers so we're doing something right

·
Registered
227 Posts
i dont think their necessary, but we give them to Minnie, we use Terrabone's puppy teething & dental chew bones. she loves the taste, it makes her breath smell good, and it also helps her teething. half of one usually lasts her about a week but shes also young and cant exactly chew straight through them yet :p

·
Registered
636 Posts
I give Willow Greenies 2-3 times a week. She loves them and her breath smells much better after chewing on one, lol :).

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
The last time I had a dog's teeth cleaned at the Vet, they gave me a bag of Hills T/D oral health. It is actually supposed to be fed as a regular dog food but at $35.00 for $5.00 and looking at the ingredients, I would certainly not use it as a regular dog food. (Why do most Hills prescription diets have powdered cellulose in them and no meat?) I just use them for occasional treats but would not go out and buy any.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I give Lonnie CET dental chews (petite) a few times a week and brush his teeth twice a week. So far, so good!

BTW: I would never use Greenies! My dad's pug nearly choked to death on those things. (Google "Greenies" :eek: )

·
Registered
32 Posts
Dogs need to chew. I wouldn't give them greenies or Rawhides. Bully sticks are better because they can be digested. Or a Nylabone. But all chewys should be supervised for choking. You can search why greenies are bad. Chew will help with boredom and helps with tater build up. But you still need to brush or wipe down with a cloth. If you wipe down /brush everyday they will get use to it and it becomes a routine.

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
Absolutely no greenies....... Molly gets her teeth brushed, is given bully sticks, beef tendons, raw chicken wings and RMBs and her teeth at 14months are sparkling white and her breathe does not stink!!!! :^)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hey y'all, I was wondering what your thoughts on dog treat products marketed as dental chews are. Obviously those that are rawhide would be a no, but what about some of the non-rawhide based ones? Do they offer additional benefit that teeth brushing and chewing on non-dental-specific chews (i.e. bully sticks) can't provide? If so, which one(s) would you recommend?
I just "lost" a Toy Poodle that I had for 10 years. Getting to the point: Yes,I brushed his teeth but he worked on a thin bully stick every day of his life and never needed even a single cleaning. For the last of his five years I brushed only his front teeth but checked his molars regularly. It may have been genetic but I credit the bully sticks and the fact that he used them for saving me from having to pay for a professional cleaning. BTW, the fees they charge these days are outrageous! The last time I payed for a cleaning it was about $90. That was back in the late 70's or 80's I think. My current small dog will not let me in his mouth yet, which is what brings me here now. I am searching for the efficacy (and recommendations) of so called "dental chews". My guy won't touch bully sticks, but I keep trying. Thanks all!

·
Registered
170 Posts
My beagle lived until he was 15, he had regular raw bone and tendon chews (100% natural) and never had teeth cleaning or dental chews...When he died his teeth were birght white and free of any plaque.

My current dogs get bone and raw meat they have perfect teeth.

No nasty chemical chews in this house.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Sounds good, MM. May I ask: Are "raw bone and tendon chews" a thing? Which is to say..... can I walk in to a pet supply store and ask for same? I'm convinced chewing on something is the key here. We have one "premier" natural pet food store in my area with big freezers that I assume contain an assortment of ready to serve raw entrees. Are these chews frozen or in dried form like Bully Sticks? Is there a particular brand that I should ask for? Can you post a picture of these "chews"? I would like to pursue this further, and thanks.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I have my personal doubts as to how usefull they are. And the one time I gave Apollo a greenies type chew (I have no idea what brand it was, my SIL bought it) it turned his poop BRIGHT GREEN, which makes me wonder just whats IN them.....
Chlorophyll.

I give dental chews occasionally. I also provide RMBs, crunchy treats etc. My dogs so far have had good teeth without issues. I think it is really a matter of many factors rather than just one when it comes to good dental health. The diet itself and a dog's genetic profile are also factors. Dental chews and treats probably help some but are not a cure all on their own.

Raw bones (RMBs) are the soup bones you find in the meat aisle of your grocery store.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts