Dog Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Banned
6,019 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

Just wondering if dehydrated lamb is hypoallergenic or if any raw meat dehydrated is hypoallergenic please?

·
Registered
455 Posts
It depends on what the dog is allergic to, of course. If the dog is not allergic to lamb, then lamb lung should not be a problem.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Banned
6,019 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
She is allergic to lamb but got told lamb lung dehydrated be ok?

·
Registered
455 Posts
I can't imagine it would ...it's still lamb meat, just a different part of the lamb. It's not exactly "hypoallergenic."
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
27 Posts
Dehydrating just takes moisture out of the meat, it won't change the proteins, so I don't think that dehydrated lamb would be different from fresh lamb as far as being hypoallergenic. My guess is that lamb lung or any other part of the lamb would cause a reaction if Jess is allergic to lamb.

I found this interesting info during a quick search:

• Dehydration has varied, but mostly little effect on nutritional value (almost all carbohydrates, proteins, fat and minerals are retained).
  • Be wary though of water-soluble vitamins as they'd be lost this way. These would be the B-complex vitamins and Vitamin C.

• Dehydration takes out most of the water content of the food. Thus, effectively - you're declared nutritional information will in fact be significantly higher in terms of dry weight, compared to its fresh weight. Example: If fresh beef has 15% protein, the beef jerky end-product will be somewhere 60-75%. So it would seem that the nutritional value increased substantially, where in fact you'll be eating less of the food to get the same nutrition.

·
Premium Member
10,780 Posts
I'd not take the chance with it. I was told that chicken fat would not bother a dog with chicken allergies, but my dog reacted to it.

I'd search for beef lung for her if she can handle beef.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts