Dog Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ive been thinking about trying out dehydrated food for awhile especially for Sawyer, but given that most are quite pricey (at least for me) and it wasn't exactly clear if the amount you were getting what worth how much it cost so I just stuck to regular kibble. I also only really knew about the honest kitchen. After reading a recent thread on here about dehydrated foods I decided to do more research on the food type, and mainly the brands mentioned (honest kitchen, stella and chewy, and sojo). After reading about each company and seeing what there products were, I think I might go with sojo. It was nice that it also said right on the website what the actual amount of food was rehydrated. Anyways given that I'm new to dehydrated foods, I have a couple of questions,
Are these good brands to start with and are there other good brands to look into? For stella and chewys I was a little confused since their dehydrated comes in patties, according to their feeding guide between Maye and Sawyer I would need 20.5 patties a day and given the pakadges are only in ounces I feel like I would have to buy quite a few packadges in one go, or is the math just going over my head on this one :p? Since they also have frozen patties/morsels, how does the weight to actual amount of food compare to dehydrated? Then my last question, in kibble its not uncommon to not follow the bags feeding guidelines and end up feeding less, is the same true for dehydrated/frozen or should I follow the guidelines in this case?
Sorry for all the questions, and thanks for any help.

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
Echo started loosing weight and had issues with a sensitive stomach (seemed to clear up with wet food on vet advice), so we tried to find a good wet formula and THK ended up being our best option. It's been going really well, a 4 Lb box lasts about 10-14 days for a 25 Lb puppy.

Super easy to make up the food, and Echo wolfs it down.

·
Registered
5,929 Posts
I like honest kitchen. 10 lb box makes 40 lbs of food. If you order from the company they ship free and its less than in the stores.

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
I do like the honest kitchen but its a little out of my price range, there's also only a limited amount I can try because of Sawyers sensitivities (part of the reason I haven't tried it yet). Sojo is a little cheaper for the same/simaler amount of food, which I like a little better since theres also the possibility that it wont agree with Sawyer.
Thanks for the info on how much the boxes make though.

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
The honest kitchen has samples that you can order state side, so that might be an option for you to try it without making a commitment. I tried them on Tessa and while she LOVED it it didn't love her, we had HUGE anal gland issues (think releasing themselves - sorry for that visual). I'm thinking because of the high carbs ratio. We're using Orijen's freeze dried instead now. It's expensive, but no anal gland issues. I only give it for suppers though, so the large bag (about $35 for 35 pucks) lasts us 2 weeks @ 2 pucks a day.

We haven't done Sojos, who also sends samples, because of the flax issue. You should know though, that they are no longer an 'independent' company, they're owned by Wellpet (Wellness) so if you don't like them...

Stella and Chewy's have had one too many recalls for me

The only other ones that we may try is Canisource and NRG both are Canadian made, so I'm not sure if you can even get them. Both are independently owned and manufactured. Then there is Primal too, haven't done much research into them though, so I can't say any more. I've attached their websites in case you're interested:
NRG Pet Products | Dehydrated Dog Food | All Natural Dog Food
Fabricant de nourriture de qualité pour chien et chat | CaniSource
Primal Pet Foods: Wholesome Raw Food for Dogs and Cats

Reactions: Sabina88
1 - 5 of 5 Posts