Dog Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I want to start dehydrating most all of the treats for my dogs so I purchased this dehydrator:

http://www.amazon.com/Presto-06300-D...ADJACFTFRFY470

I am trying to find a list of foods/fruits/veggies I can dehydrate but I am only finding recipes here and there. Wondering if anyone has found a list like this they use for reference?

The pamplet that came with the dehydrator says you can store at room temperate but wondering if it's better to refrigerate if it would last longer? Also I will be using these for training so will want them small. So when I dehydrate should I be cut them to the size I want for training or will they shrink? Or are they easier to cut to size once dehydrated?

·
Registered
2,901 Posts
For the most part, if the dog can eat it, it can be dehydrated and used for treats.

I don't dehydrate fruits and veggies, but I do meats and organs like steak, heart, tongue, liver, etc. My dogs love it!

It will shrink a bit, so I'd make the pieces a little bigger than you want them to be once done. Count on them to shrink about 40% (in reality, it totally depends and can vary even from the same source). I think it's easier to cut to approximate size before dehydrating, though it's not totally impossible either way.

As for storage, it will last longer in the fridge and even longer in the freezer. It will eventually get moldy in the fridge, so I usually store in separate bags or containers and put one in the fridge, and the rest in the freezer. Once I see I'm getting low, I grab another one out of the freezer and put it in the fridge to thaw.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks! Do you know which meats/organs are easiest to cut into small pieces and less in fat contact? I will be using these specifically for training purposes on a daily basis and in classes throughout the week. I found this site that seems to have a good variety of meat as my local markets don't carry all of those and I'm sure my dogs will go crazy over some of the unique cuts of meats...I'm sure I will save in the long run as well instead of buying treats which is what I mostly do now

https://www.mypetcarnivore.com/index.php?lang=en

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
I like to dehydrate beef lung. The lung comes in frozen blocks and is easy to slice when slightly frozen. Beef heart is also easy to slice. You may find that most meats and organs are easier to slice up when partly frozen, especially liver. I dehydrate the slices and then break them up afterwards. Its less handling of the raw meat and simpler (for me) when placing on the racks of the dehydrator, but it works either way.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts