Dog Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have Degus too?

I have three of these cuties. Coco is 3 years and from a shelter. He's shy but still very pry. Since nearly a week he got his new friends; the brothers Flin and Nori. Both are 9 weeks old and bring a lot of life into the cage.
The cage is handmade by myself because here in Switzerland we need to have 30cm bedding depth for Degus, what makes it difficult to find a suitable cage. So mine is 120cm long, 60cm deep and 120cm high. Now I want to connect the small cage on it so my Degus will have some extra space.

The youngsters on the way home

All three together

The cage

·
Registered
14 Posts
I used to have degus. They are fantastic, fun little pets! I haven't found any in Canada for quite a number of years, so I don't think they've been able to hold popularity. If I ever came across them again at a humane society or rescue, I would pick them up in a heartbeat.
Looks like a nice cage you have for them! Mine would spend a lot of time rolling around in a ball over the whole house...and they loved 'riding' on our shoulders or in our hands.
Out of curiosity, do you know why there is a requirement for that much bedding?

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think it is that they have the possibility to dig. At first the old one from a shelter wasn't used to dig. But now nearly every day it looks totally different in the cage :D
We have a lot of laws here ;) There's also one which says how big the cage has to be (0.5m2 up to 5 Degus, and 0.2m2 for each additional one) and also that you need to have at least two Degus.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts