Dog Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Read that they are a better alternative to rawhide (is more likely to cause intestinal blockage than antler/bully sticks). Is healthier. Though, if the puppy bites off chunks of antler...should be supervised. The article recommends.

I have a 3 month old Pug puppy. Gave him rawhide sticks. Just 1 actually. Assumed they were okay. As I gave them to my previous 2 dogs (Pekingese, Shih Tzu). No problems at all. They just got bored of the rawhide and we had to toss them.

Do you feel your puppies antler or bully sticks? What are your experiences with?

·
Registered
500 Posts
Pax LOVED bully sticks...just make sure you get USA made ones.

Himalayan Chews are also a great option...not as hard as the antlers and also a treat.

Both are great outlets for puppy chewing and destruction since they can make progress on destroying them. Those helped with Pax's training on what he could and could not destroy!

·
Banned
1,222 Posts
Ahh, bully sticks, good old penis for dogs to chew on. I definitely wouldn't give a dog antler, can break their teeth.

Have you considered raw bones for treats? For the smaller dog like your pug, pork ribs are ideal. Best toothbrush you'll ever find. I'll buy cheap racks of pork ribs, cut them leaving the meat on - then freeze and feed frozen. Just make sure they eat somewhere where a bit of melt won't cause issue.

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
Yes, rawhides are dangerous. Not digestable, and a choking hazard. The only thing I have ever given my puppies were raw frozen pig ears.

·
Registered
502 Posts
I love bully sticks. They're rather expensive, but a great chew. I also give a lot of antlers. They don't splinter or break, just gradually wear down. They're the only chew that lasts a long time for my youngest dog, and is also safe.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ahh, bully sticks, good old penis for dogs to chew on. I definitely wouldn't give a dog antler, can break their teeth.

Have you considered raw bones for treats? For the smaller dog like your pug, pork ribs are ideal. Best toothbrush you'll ever find. I'll buy cheap racks of pork ribs, cut them leaving the meat on - then freeze and feed frozen. Just make sure they eat somewhere where a bit of melt won't cause issue.
Raw bones? Would they not be more dangerous. With sharper bone fragments breaking off..like the antler i guess.

Seems none of it is really good for them or safe (antler, bully sticks, rawhide).

You hear about other owners giving it to their dogs...don't hear about when it goes wrong...maybe I should simply avoid all of these chews. Just give him dog treats and his dog food. Safe. No worries. I mean if a product manufacturer tells you to "supervise" (bully sticks, antler)...

Thing is...I've given my past two dogs rawhide...supposed to be bad for them I just found out...They were both fine. No problems at all related to chewing on rawhide. don't think they ever ate it. Just chewed the rawhide sticks to almost nothing. We'd then toss it.

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
Raw bones? Would they not be more dangerous. With sharper bone fragments breaking off..like the antler i guess.

Seems none of it is really good for them or safe (antler, bully sticks, rawhide).

You hear about other owners giving it to their dogs...don't hear about when it goes wrong...maybe I should simply avoid all of these chews. Just give him dog treats and his dog food. Safe. No worries. I mean if a product manufacturer tells you to "supervise" (bully sticks, antler)...

Thing is...I've given my past two dogs rawhide...supposed to be bad for them I just found out...They were both fine. No problems at all related to chewing on rawhide. don't think they ever ate it. Just chewed the rawhide sticks to almost nothing. We'd then toss it.
Bones in raw form are fine. Fully digestable, and full of nutrition. Cooked bones are dangerous. Big no no. Also, not good are the weight bearing bones of large animals like cows. Those tend to break teeth. I feed an all raw diet, and feeding that way requires edible digestable bone not only for the nutrition, but also for teeth cleaning and poop firming.

Bully sticks and antlers are fine, and much safer than rawhide. Those are choking hazards, and not digestable therefore also blockage risks.

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
I have never given turkey necks to my dogs till the other day. I was in the Save-On food and I saw someone picking up a bunch of them and asked them if they were for her dogs. She feeds them all the time so I thought I would try them. I just cut a small section at a time and gave them to my big dogs. They did crunch them up and swallow them but did not seem to have a problem with them. Does anyone here feed them?

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Bones in raw form are fine. Fully digestable, and full of nutrition. Cooked bones are dangerous. Big no no. Also, not good are the weight bearing bones of large animals like cows. Those tend to break teeth. I feed an all raw diet, and feeding that way requires edible digestable bone not only for the nutrition, but also for teeth cleaning and poop firming.

Bully sticks and antlers are fine, and much safer than rawhide. Those are choking hazards, and not digestable therefore also blockage risks.
In raw form when broken up by the dog there's no sharp pieces? No danger at all?

Do you prepare the raw bones at all? What if you're dog (mine) isn't on a raw diet? Would feeding it a "raw bone" not make him sick?

(no sarcasm there) :)

Chessa says bully sticks/antlers are fine. No danger of fragmenting. Just wears down. Like rawhide. But costly. Don't know...if I'll buy them for my 3 month old (and a few weeks) old Pug. Any one else feeding their pups bully sticks/antler?

·
Banned
1,222 Posts
In raw form when broken up by the dog there's no sharp pieces? No danger at all?

Do you prepare the raw bones at all? What if you're dog (mine) isn't on a raw diet? Would feeding it a "raw bone" not make him sick?

Chessa says bully sticks/antlers are fine. No danger of fragmenting. Just wears down. Like rawhide. But costly. Don't know...if I'll buy them for my 3 month old (and a few weeks) old Pug. Any one else feeding their pups bully sticks/antler?
The onus is on you to make sure your dog is a good chewer, some dogs will swallow whole and be done with it.

More kibble feeders are starting to give their dogs raw bones, understanding the merit of clean teeth by using natures own toothbrush. I near fell over when I seen what people were paying a vet for a complete dental.

And no, it shouldn't make the dog sick. If you feed beef, it's rich, and can cause some loose stool. Something else to look at is oxtail, has no bone, has a built in flossing feature. So bloody expensive here, avg of 12 bucks for a couple of small pieces.

·
Registered
1,224 Posts

No sharp pieces when the dog chews them up, as long as they aren't cooked. Then they do splinter, have sharp edges and don't digest very well. Dogs digestive systems are designed for bone, and are really tough. When crunched up, they are able to be easily digested. As long a correct bones are fed, and the correct size there is very little danger. Is there SOME danger? Sure, but less than with something like rawhides. The dog's body is designed to handle and digest bone, considering it's a food source, unlike rawhides. But again, it all goes back to feeding correct raw bones.

There is no preparing raw bones. Just simply give it to them. As far as feeding them to a dog not on a raw diet, that's fine. A lot of people use raw bones like turkey necks for a "second" meal, or snacks several times a week for the dental benefits.

I have never fed bully sticks or antlers myself, but they are good for chewing urges, snacks and to help pass the time so they don't get board. But like with all chewing snacks, even raw bones dogs shouldn't be left unsupravised.

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
I have never given turkey necks to my dogs till the other day. I was in the Save-On food and I saw someone picking up a bunch of them and asked them if they were for her dogs. She feeds them all the time so I thought I would try them. I just cut a small section at a time and gave them to my big dogs. They did crunch them up and swallow them but did not seem to have a problem with them. Does anyone here feed them?
It's best not to cut bones, especially for larger dogs due to the risk of swallowing whole. The point of giving something like a turkey neck is to give it whole, so they have to chew more. Smaller isn't better. Cutting the bone can also create unusually sharp edges not produced by chewing. That's why buying cuts like t bones aren't safe either. They are artificially cut.

But yes, turkey necks are a good bone source and a favorite around our house.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I contacted my Pug's breeder yesterday and asked her for her opinion. She never feeds her dogs any of the 3 items. So I guess I'll just avoid them. Why take a "chance" with foods where supervision is usually recommended even by manufacturers?

Raw bone? I think is like feeding "raw diet". And that is once you've begun I'm assuming you can't stop. That they won't go to store bought dog foods. If you wanted to change. And, a bone..raw or cooked..would they not fragment the same? Depending on how they break and produce sharp points?

I think I'll stick with quality kibble and dog specific treats. :)

Though I did find a list of human foods Pugs can eat that aren't hazardous (e.g. banana, blueberries...etv.).

·
Banned
1,222 Posts
I contacted my Pug's breeder yesterday and asked her for her opinion. She never feeds her dogs any of the 3 items. So I guess I'll just avoid them. Why take a "chance" with foods where supervision is usually recommended even by manufacturers?

Raw bone? I think is like feeding "raw diet". And that is once you've begun I'm assuming you can't stop. That they won't go to store bought dog foods. If you wanted to change. And, a bone..raw or cooked..would they not fragment the same? Depending on how they break and produce sharp points?

Though I did find a list of human foods Pugs can eat that aren't hazardous (e.g. banana, blueberries...etv.).

Raw is generally a good route when chasing intolerance or allergy in dogs - we've spent 2 years trying different kibble food trials to no avail. The benefit of raw is the single ingredient feeding option rather than limited ingredient or heavily hydrolyzed. It's not too hard to find a single whole meat protein that a dog hasn't been fed before, many owners buy one food and stick with it.

Raw is a food, and it doesn't have to be a "for life" deal, it's not a do or die option. Raw feeders have switched back to kibble for various reasons.

What isn't recommended is feeding raw and kibble at the same time - or feeding one raw meal and a kibble meal per day. Raw is digested, processed and out the back door much faster than kibble is - I'm sure some dogs can tolerate, others can't.

Raw bone can simply be classified as a treat for your dog.

Feeding is all about personal choice.

·
Registered
1,224 Posts

Clearly, you have less than no knowledge about raw food. Raw bone. Yes, it is a part of a raw diet. It is a MUST in a raw diet. For nutrition, for dental and gum health and for firmness of poops.

Of course, you could ALWAYS go from raw to kibble. Some people feed both, in different meals. That's just pure ignorance to think otherwise. The only thing is, going from raw to kibble, you will see differences. Like huge, stinky poops, poorer tooth and dental health, "doggy breath", coarser coat, less shine, greasy coat, "dog odor", more vet bills, etc...

So, you assume wrong. You can switch to kibble at any time after starting raw, if you want. You should really educate yourself before making assumptions.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts