Dog Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
761 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So Fearghas is chewing my deck. Not only am I worried because he's eating my deck, but its pressure treated wood. The deck is fairly new and paid for by my mother. It was our anniversary gift. Lol. Is there something I can put on it to stop him from chewing it and getting sick from a) the wood b) the arsenic in pressure treated wood.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
212 Posts
Bandit did this too [I don't think he does anymore]. I didn't even know he was doing it until one day I was walking around out back and realize a bunch of chewed up spots : P

I figured there wasn't much I could do and that it was just a sign we kept him out too long and he got bored, so I just started letting him in sooner. Does Fearghas do it when he's let out for potty breaks or does he go straight for it?

·
Registered
761 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Bandit did this too [I don't think he does anymore]. I didn't even know he was doing it until one day I was walking around out back and realize a bunch of chewed up spots : P

I figured there wasn't much I could do and that it was just a sign we kept him out too long and he got bored, so I just started letting him in sooner. Does Fearghas do it when he's let out for potty breaks or does he go straight for it?
He's always been a chewer. Never anything like furniture, but he LOVES chewing sticks and chews. He has a tonne of chews and sticks on the go, but there's something about the deck he must like. I think he views it as a HUGE stick to chew!
I let him out after I found his spots, and I'm always out there with him, when Dad lets him out though, he comes back in and leaves him there until he asks to come in. But when I let him out he stood there and chewed while looking at me as if to say see!!!! lol. I can replace what he's chewed, I just don't want him to get sick from eating so much wood or because he's eating pressure treated wood.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Oh wow lol, he's quite ballsy huh? That anti-chew stuff they're talking about sounds pretty good then. Unless maybe you could teach him that's a no-no. Like going out with a chew toy and if he starts chewing on the deck give him a firm "no", take him away from the spot, and hand him the chew toy. The rescue we adopted Bandit from told us to do a version of this with things in the house. Like if he has a shoe you take it away, say "mine", then give him one of his toys and say "yours".

·
Banned
7,625 Posts
I used to re-direct Apollo to firewood, and it worked quite well, but with that dedicated a chewer I'm not sure if redirection by itself would work, but maybe in combination with the anti-chew stuff....

·
Registered
761 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So his trainer recommended trying cayenne pepper and water and spray it. So I did. He licked it up. Apparently he likes spicy stuff. Have a few more things to try tomorrow and hopefully one will work.
I caught him today and gave him a leave it. He actually left it. I almost fell off the deck. He definately got a treat and a good leave it!

·
Registered
10,646 Posts
So his trainer recommended trying cayenne pepper and water and spray it. So I did. He licked it up. Apparently he likes spicy stuff. Have a few more things to try tomorrow and hopefully one will work.
I caught him today and gave him a leave it. He actually left it. I almost fell off the deck. He definately got a treat and a good leave it!

LOL!!!!

When Shadow was around 5 months old he discovered the cats food. I fed the cats on a low table and I was determined that I was going to keep feeding them there so I coated the food with hot sauce and left it for Shadow to discover. The idea was the food would smell off, taste bad, and burn his mouth so he'd learn to leave it alone....

Shadow went to the food, ate a couple bites, got a surprised look on his face and ran around rubbing his mouth on everything. Then he stopped, went back to the food, ate another couple of bites and once again ran around rubbing his mouth on everything, before going back for more:rolleyes: at that point I threw the food out, cleaned the bowl, and started feeding the cat on my dresser, score one for Shadow.

·
Registered
4,360 Posts
So his trainer recommended trying cayenne pepper and water and spray it. So I did. He licked it up. Apparently he likes spicy stuff.
Apollo likes habanero cheese spread.....

When Nyla was a teething puppy she thought it was fun to chew the wood border around the door. I tried putting pure scotch bonnet pepper sauce on it and she loved it. SMH

Bitter Apple spray is the only thing that worked for her- she hates it and if she even sees me with the bottle spraying something she never touches it again but I'm guessing it would be quite expensive to spray your deck with it every week! LoL

I'd say the only thing you can do is be out there with him until he gets over it. No unsupervised time in the backyard.
Posted via Mobile Device

1 - 12 of 12 Posts