Dog Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We adopted a 1+ year old lab/hound mix named Jack about 2 months ago. His training is coming along nicely, but our neighborhood has so many loose dogs that it becomes almost impossible to walk him. In the last few days, I've seen 2-3 loose dogs while just trying to walk around the block. Many of these dogs are loose as a result of owners who just want to chill with their animal in the front yard because they're an "angel." Then there are those loose because their owners are incapable of securing their dogs or leave their gates or doors open for who knows why...

Jack is about 80lbs and pretty much goes nuts whenever he sees other dogs. We've been charged on 3 occasions, one of which resulted in a pretty crazy fight. I don't have any issues controlling Jack, but my wife has become pretty gun shy about it. I think for both of us, the concern is not even controlling Jack but what to do with/to the other dog that is charging.

As a matter of defense (of my leashed dog and my self), I feel that I have to assume that any charging dog is planning to attack. If I crack the charging dog in the head with an 18" metal rod, I doubt the owners would have any recourse.

Naturally, I wouldn't want somebody else cracking my dog with a metal rod, but I wouldn't fault them for it because my dog is loose, out of my control and probably being aggressive.

I really don't like this idea, but what's the alternative? Pepper spray? Writing the newspaper? Posting fliers on phone poles warning people that a loose dog might end up limping home if they cross my path?

Hope is not a strategy.

My childhood dalmation was mauled nearly to death by the neighbor's chow that got out while my dad was taking Cookie for a walk.

·
Registered
6,879 Posts
I'm going to assume you have already tried contacting animal control and they haven't done anything so I would suggest using pepper spray. It will def. deter a charging dog and it's nonlethal so you won't have to worry about a lawsuit or the police. ;)

·
Registered
4,921 Posts
Pepper spray is good. I would also contact AC and tell them that there are loose dogs out who's owners aren't watching them and they end up charging you and your dog when you are on walks and have had a couple of incidents in which one ended in a fight. I would also bring a video camera and maybe get your wife to film when a dog starts to charge as proof, just incase neighbour - you know - say you're lying.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Haven't contacted animal control, yet. Would they respond to a general complaint of "dogs being running around the neighborhood." I imagine they'd tell me to call back when I see a loose dog...

·
Registered
4,921 Posts
you have to tell them that the dogs have charged you and you think it's a hazzard to the public

·
Registered
35 Posts
If your municipality is anything like mine, animal control is likely underfunded and short staffed. Several years ago, I and the other responsible owners in my neighborhood felt we were being unfairly harassed by AC. There was an open green area in the area where we all congregated to let our dogs off leash to run & play & blow off some steam. They are always under owner supervision, scrupulously cleaned after, and never allowed to stray. Nonetheless, AC threatened to cite us with leash law violations. We learned AC was trying to address dog-at-large complaints lodged by residents who were understandably irritated at neighborhood dogs tearing thru their yards and trash cans, etc.

We (the responsible owners) took it upon ourselves to pitch in. We were confrontational with dog-walkers who didn't clean up after their dogs; we detained at large dogs for retrieval by AC; and we even delivered some of the dogs to AC ourselves. An owner bailing his dog out of "jail" paid $50 for the 1st infraction, $100 for the 2nd, $150 for the 3rd. A 4th detention landed the owner in front of a judge.

We were pretty militant about it, and the dog-at-large problem evaporated in about 90 days.

That's obviously kind of a long term commitment; rods & pepper spray may have to be deployed to deal with an immediate threat. I once pulled a knife and would have definitely ventilated the Akita that was going after my Springer, had the Akita's owner not established control over the animal.

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
It just seems to me that as soon as anyone moves out to the country, they go out and buy a big dog because they think it has all that room to run around loose in. There are always loose dogs in my area. Usually they are not a problem to me as I do not walk my dogs near where I live as I have a big valley where I can take them for walks off leash where there are not other dogs.

Last week I noticed the neighbor across the road who just moved in a while ago, had a dog, looked like a border collie from a distance. He has no fences, there is a road both in front and back of his property.

I usually close my gate but I was going out and right back so I left it open. When I got back he was up my driveway. He is not a border collie but a pit type dog. I hollered at him to get home and he took off down the driveway but when I got out of my car to close the gate, he started coming towards me barking. He was obviously a timid sort of dog so I was not worried about him but it is really annoying that now I have to keep my gate closed all the time as he can come up to my fenced in back yard where Susie stays.

I probably shouldn't worry as he will probably end up like most of the loose dogs eventually do, get run over on the road. People never seem to learn.

·
Banned
453 Posts
I'm going to assume you have already tried contacting animal control and they haven't done anything so I would suggest using pepper spray. It will def. deter a charging dog and it's nonlethal so you won't have to worry about a lawsuit or the police. ;)
Not true. I've seen dog fights that have continued long after the dogs were blinded by pepper spray (administered by a cop, btw.)

Since pepper spray is cheap, and easily carried, go for it. Maybe if you carried something a little less... harsh, than a metal rod (like a thick stick, or a broom handle or something), it would be less destructive to the dog.

Do contact the AC, though. Have you talked to your neighbors about it at all?

·
Registered
6,879 Posts
As a matter of fact my dad was a police officer for 15 years so that's where I learned about how effective using pepper spray on a dog can be (he had to do it several times). It will work if you use it before the dog is latched on to you or your dog, now if they already attacking you then I would suggest a Taser, since you'll most likely get yourself with the spray and I have personally seen how effective a Taser can be at stopping a dog(my neighbors dogs got in a fight and the cops tased them to get them apart and my dad has had to do it.) but they can also recover fully if you know how to use it.

Hopefully it would never come to that but should it there are things you can use to protect yourself and your loved ones.

·
Banned
453 Posts
As a matter of fact my dad was a police officer for 15 years so that's where I learned about how effective using pepper spray on a dog can be (he had to do it several times). It will work if you use it before the dog is latched on to you or your dog, now if they already attacking you then I would suggest a Taser, since you'll most likely get yourself with the spray and I have personally seen how effective a Taser can be at stopping a dog(my neighbors dogs got in a fight and the cops tased them to get them apart and my dad has had to do it.) but they can also recover fully if you know how to use it.

Hopefully it would never come to that but should it there are things you can use to protect yourself and your loved ones.
Cool, I wasn't saying that it NEVER works. The one time I've ever seen it used to break up a fight it failed.

I'm guessing that most of the loose dogs are "protecting their turf," if that makes any sense. I am still going to suggest talking to your neighbors.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.