Dog Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my nearly 4 year old yellow lab/golden retriever cross sleeps in her crate (actually her and her boxer cross sister share a big crate), and wakes up every morning around 5:30-6:00 AM and starts whining. This has been a relatively recent development (last month or so) and has started causing serious strain.

I had thought the trigger was the HVAC kicking on, adjusted it, but she still wakes up about the same time every day. I'm seriously wondering what I can do to keep her from waking myself, my girlfriend, and, occasionally, the kiddos.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Can you just ignore it until she eventually stops? Both my dogs wake us up at 5am, but we have a pattern of taking them jogging, then we start our workdays. I think it's the routine, because before that our puppy was waking up at 3am every night, and we just ignored him until he got onto our schedule. I bought some decent earplugs, took about a week or two before he stopped.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Pax did this at about 1 year old...at the crack of dawn he was up and made sure I was getting up as well...and I am not a morning person so I was not happy with the new behavior.

Turns out he was hungry. So as part of our nighttime routine, last thing we do before going to bed is go out to go pee and his reward was upped from just a treat to a substantial handful of kibble. Once he started getting that nighttime snack before bed he slept in almost immediately no longer whining at sunrise.

Now it is me trying to drag his but outta abed in the morning.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I was hoping food or potty or something was the case, but yesterday Kaylee woke us up, whining. I came down, let her out of the crate, she went straight to the potty bells as though she had to pee, let her out, and she didn't even leave the patio before she turned around and wanted to come back in. Afterwards, she went to the crate, and she and her sister were fine for another hour and a half until we were clearly up and about and getting ready to feed them. She's always hungry (vet's recommended she be kept at the current dietary intake), but if it were that that were waking her, she would've gone to her bowl.

Other thoughts? I'm thinking of figuring out how to rig up a spray bottle to spray her when she's in the crate whimpering in the morning...

·
Registered
20 Posts
What time does she go in the crate the night before? Does she have plenty of things to do in the crate (toys, bones, stuffed kongs)? How much exercise does she get during the day? Maybe try doing something with her right before bed (training session, tug..) something to wear her out a little more. It sounds like maybe she is just bored and ready to get up.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
Does she need to be crated? Have you tried giving a bigger space (such as an expen or gating into a room)?

Why is she crated with another dog? I'd at least give them separate crates if they even need to be crated.

How long has it been since you adjusted HVAC? How long was she getting up before you made the adjustment? It could be that it became a habit to wake up then and she needs time to revert to her previous schedule.

Is she getting sufficient mental and physical exercise?

Using P+ is has the real chance of making things worse.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.