Dog Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there! I was on one post and someone (shout out to Artdog) wanted to know about deaf dogs and how to train them, doing sports with them, etc. you can ask me any questions and I'll answer them to the best of my ability!

Disclaimer: just because I own a deaf dog, doesn't mean I know everything about them. This is just from experience.

Reactions: Artdog

·
Registered
501 Posts
One of my early trainers advocated using hand signals in conjunction with verbal cues for two reasons...one, she had a dog go deaf at an early age and struggled until he figured out hand signals from scratch and two, we are often down at the beach where verbal cues may not be heard when there is heavy surf.

Long story short, I have been training Pax with hand signals since day one and he actually responds better to hand signals than verbal cues for recall and all his tricks.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
One of my early trainers advocated using hand signals in conjunction with verbal cues for two reasons...one, she had a dog go deaf at an early age and struggled until he figured out hand signals from scratch and two, we are often down at the beach where verbal cues may not be heard when there is heavy surf.

Long story short, I have been training Pax with hand signals since day one and he actually responds better to hand signals than verbal cues for recall and all his tricks.
I just recently got a JRT puppy that isn't deaf and I enjoy teaching him with hand signals also. It really does save you in the future if the dog goes hard of hearing or completely deaf.

·
Registered
884 Posts
Me. Me. Me. (Bouncing in my seat in the back of the classroom, holding hands in the air).
I'm a flappy hands person, hand signals for everything, but...
How do you mark the moment in time -- (replace the clicker or verbal marker)?
Off lead, how do you handle "leave it's" or get your dogs attention when it's elsewhere? This one I'm guessing would be frequent auto-check ins, and/or off-leashing in places where it's safe and carefree.

·
Registered
2,800 Posts
@HaydenK has a couple of deaf dogs that she does a lot of training with.

One of my trainers has a couple of them that she has been training for agility, even started competing with one. This video has some training clips in it.

There's also a deaf dog at the daycare I work at. It's really interesting to work with her because you realize how much you use your voice when interacting with dogs and you start to focus on body language instead. It's actually really helpful.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Me. Me. Me. (Bouncing in my seat in the back of the classroom, holding hands in the air).
I'm a flappy hands person, hand signals for everything, but...
How do you mark the moment in time -- (replace the clicker or verbal marker)?
Off lead, how do you handle "leave it's" or get your dogs attention when it's elsewhere? This one I'm guessing would be frequent auto-check ins, and/or off-leashing in places where it's safe and carefree.
You can replace a clicker with a hand signal (example, thumbs up), body signal (example, giant happy smile) or a light (like a key chain light, click it when they do something good and make sure they can see the light).

I'm lucky enough to have my dog refuse to pick up or chase anything so I never taught a leave it command, but you can always call them over when they go for something you don't want them to go for.

Yes, frequent check-ins are a must! But also, I've been meaning to pick up a vibrating collar for my boy. I would put it on the lowest setting it can go (so it doesn't cause pain or discomfort but the dog can still feel it) and use it for long distance recall. Teach them that when they feel the vibration, they have to come back.

I've also taught my boy that when I take his leash off, he has to wait for me to tell him go play (point out into the open field) so that he doesn't run off unexpectedly.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts