Dog Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there,
I have an 11 month old pitbull/lab puppy, who I’ve rescued in April of this year. He’s completely deaf, and was born that way as far as I know. Everything has been fine up until now, with no issues health wise since I’ve had him. A couple weeks ago, I noticed all of a sudden that he was swaying and looked dizzy, he seemed to be dozing off but then he’d snap back up, and run around the house super fast for a minute before stopping and going back to the same dizzy state. He was like this for a few hours, I stayed with him in my bed and let him rest, and after a while he was fine. He didn’t get into anything, didn’t eat anything weird that I’m aware of, but I was with him all day so I’m certain he didn’t. Everything was fine and he was normal until today, he did the same thing again. Lasted a few hours like last time, and back to normal after I stayed with him and calmed him down. I should mention that he is eating and drinking like normal through this all. I did some research, and it kind of seems like some symptoms from “vestibular syndrome” but at the same time, it doesn’t. I’m not sure if this has anything to do with his deafness, or if there’s any conditions you might know of that this could be?
Thank you!!

·
Registered
253 Posts
I think you should go to the vet in case it is more serious. Our dog had vestibular disese when she was old. SHe had trouble walking and would tilt her head to the side. The vet did an exam and then had us take her home and wait and see if she got better. I don't remember how long it took but she improved. She looked like she had a stroke when she was ill.

Our dog had fine hearing but was prone to ear infections

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, I likely will. I need to take him in for a checkup soon anyways so I’ll bring it up then. Since it passed the first time I just figured it was a one time weird thing but since it happened again it’s probably worth bringing it up. Thank you!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts