Dog Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have a 5 month old Dalmation/Pit Bull mix who is GREAT except for when he sees people or puppies on walks. He gets plenty of exercise and I've introduced him to lots of different size people and dogs and he's great with all of them. But if he sees one on a walk he will not budge. His tail will start out on alert but he will quickly go back to wagging it and thinks everyone wants to play with him. I was wondering if anyone knew a way to get him to stop this since it may take me 20-30 minutes to get him 100 yards in some high traffic areas, especially leaving a dog park. He just won't budge, is getting too heavy to carry, and I can't use verbal cues bc he's deaf and he won't look at me when he sees someone else unless I physically make him

·
Banned
1,222 Posts
There's a few members on here with deaf dogs, I'm sure they'll chime in soon.

Was your dog born deaf or did it lose hearing? Have you ever done any training with hand signals or touch cues?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Great, thanks! I believe he was born deaf. We adopted him about 3 weeks ago and he's been dead as long as we've had him. We have thought him some hand signals already but it is hard when he sees other dogs and people because he won't look at us

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
I'm not too skilled with deaf dogs but I think vibrating collars (that's vibrating, not shock!) are worth a look. You need to get his attention quickly and that might be a way to train and condition him to "watch" you with the vibration. Once he gets it then you might be able to get autowatches and only use the collar for emergencies

·
Banned
1,222 Posts
I'm not too skilled with deaf dogs but I think vibrating collars (that's vibrating, not shock!) are worth a look. You need to get his attention quickly and that might be a way to train and condition him to "watch" you with the vibration. Once he gets it then you might be able to get autowatches and only use the collar for emergencies
You can say it, e-collar.

Calling @denver215...

Friends have a 14 year old Shihtzu cross, he's blind and deaf now. He's slow on walks and fine off leash. It's interesting how these dogs learn. Tap to the floor twice means mealtime, 3 times is walk - the dog works on vibration now.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.