Dog Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
12,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok....So when I am sitting on the couch and the little deaf boy LOL Glacier bites and gets very "aggressive" I walk away. New problems have arrived;

1. When he is chewing on things he shouldn't how do I get him to stop besides taking it away or pulling him away (depending on the object)? When we do either he starts getting very loud and snappy....even drew blood on the bf.

2. When he is playing with the dogs and he bites to hard how does he learn from them not to when all they do is yelp? I figure we should step in and the same thing happens as above....we take things away from him or push him away he gets snappy (I hate the sound of the jaw snapping too!!!!).

So what should we do? We have a pet carrier (the plastic ones that are not crates) so should we put him in it for a time out when he gets mouthy? Should we use bitter apple to hopefully deter him? He bites hard but I am sure it is him being a puppy. I just need advice because all of our other dogs responded very well to "uh uh" and if necessary a tap on the nose. Glacier cannot hear and when I wave my hand in front of him he either ignores it or gets "defensive". Should we use the little red laser light to get his attention and maybe keep a toy on hand even when outside to give to him to redirect him?

·
Registered
55 Posts
My dog cant hear very well so when correcting her I use gestures or other means of body language or I tap her and shake my head or finger. Realistically you don’t have to talk to your dog to correct them I usually don’t. So when he is chewing something don’t take it away he wont understand that by you taking it away means he did something bad you are simply taking it away for awhile. So you need to ‘claim’ the object. This depends on what he is chewing. If its something small you tap him firmly on the neck then slowly move over the object making sure he let you have it he should back off from it, then you take it because it is now yours. For bigger objects I would just tap him and block him from the object until he submits (sits or lays down and looks relaxed) When he get loud or yappy he is throwing a temper tantrum like a small child would when you take away their plaything. As for biting the other dogs to hard I would do the firm tap on the neck, that’s how a mother would discipline her puppy and some gesture so he knows he did bad and you are correcting him. I toy might also work but he may see it as he did something good. For the chewing I would also try one of those deterrents you can get at a pet store, that’s what we used on our dogs. I wouldn’t recommend putting him in time out, He’s a dog not a human, He wont associate being in time out with what he did. Plus you want the crate to be something good not bad.

·
Registered
12,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My dog cant hear very well so when correcting her I use gestures or other means of body language or I tap her and shake my head or finger. Realistically you don’t have to talk to your dog to correct them I usually don’t. So when he is chewing something don’t take it away he wont understand that by you taking it away means he did something bad you are simply taking it away for awhile. So you need to ‘claim’ the object. This depends on what he is chewing. If its something small you tap him firmly on the neck then slowly move over the object making sure he let you have it he should back off from it, then you take it because it is now yours. For bigger objects I would just tap him and block him from the object until he submits (sits or lays down and looks relaxed) When he get loud or yappy he is throwing a temper tantrum like a small child would when you take away their plaything. As for biting the other dogs to hard I would do the firm tap on the neck, that’s how a mother would discipline her puppy and some gesture so he knows he did bad and you are correcting him. I toy might also work but he may see it as he did something good. For the chewing I would also try one of those deterrents you can get at a pet store, that’s what we used on our dogs. I wouldn’t recommend putting him in time out, He’s a dog not a human, He wont associate being in time out with what he did. Plus you want the crate to be something good not bad.
I use a shake of the finger for no, during the times he is vocal and snippy he does not care for this.

When I block him from what he wants same reaction, loud and snippy.

The kennel is not his crate that is why I did not know if we should use it like that. He has a regular dog crate for eating and when we are not home.

LOL TY tho.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Like I said when he is making noise he is throwing a temper tantrum again you can touch him to distract him and give him the sign for no or you can put a leash on him and give him a little correction so you dont get bit same concept with the sign for no after the correction. As for what ever you put him in you still want it to be a good experience for him, Dogs dont understand the concept of time out. They dont think about what they did they live in the moment so time out is useless. Sorry about that to me kennel and crate are basically the same thing.

·
Registered
22,639 Posts

·
Registered
18,782 Posts
Like I said when he is making noise he is throwing a temper tantrum again you can touch him to distract him and give him the sign for no or you can put a leash on him and give him a little correction so you dont get bit same concept with the sign for no after the correction. As for what ever you put him in you still want it to be a good experience for him, Dogs dont understand the concept of time out. They dont think about what they did they live in the moment so time out is useless. Sorry about that to me kennel and crate are basically the same thing.
...you might not be aware, but this is an 8 week old puppy. (or are we pushing 9 weeks now?)

Pawz... have a toy handy at all times... keep using them to redirect the behavior to apropriate toys... if hes being a complete asshat (lol) get up and leave the room for a minute.

corrections are not the answer IMO especially at this age, hes an infant. You will just excite him worse or scare him if you correct him. Hes VERY impressionable right now, just remember that. :)

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
12,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
...you might not be aware, but this is an 8 week old puppy. (or are we pushing 9 weeks now?)

Pawz... have a toy handy at all times... keep using them to redirect the behavior to apropriate toys... if hes being a complete asshat (lol) get up and leave the room for a minute.

corrections are not the answer IMO especially at this age, hes an infant. You will just excite him worse or scare him if you correct him. Hes VERY impressionable right now, just remember that. :)
TY so much. I think I just assume I do not know how to handle him due to him being deaf. Yea he attacked my foot today, well my shoe...it had a bow on it so I don't blame him LOL but I tried to walk away and he just hung on for dear life haha. I will make sure that when I get home I put toys in every place we will need them to redirect him. He is a little devil sometimes! I know this may sound stupid but could he be getting into these fits because he is hungry? He has eaten dinner since we have been home and has not gotten snippy once! Reminds me of a grouchy tired child. he gets fed 3-4 times a day, was a bit underweight when we got him. He is 9 weeks today too. ty again for all responses

·
Registered
18,782 Posts
I notice Chili is a bit "shorter fused" when hes hungry too. I know when i'm hungry I get bitchy...I imagine its possible lol

Its also the newness factor with your pup im sure....all my dogs acted out for the first month pretty heavily...Chili bit faces and hands(hard)....Kiwi ate a couch cushion amoung other things...Tippy screamed, hid and ate a baby gate and a wall....Critter bit us...Emma was terrified and peed everywhere from stress ...all that wierd stuff is normal at first...once your pup has the routine down and knows whats expected of him Im sure he'll tone it down A LOT you'd never know that mine all started as pychos if you could see them now..

also try to remember that the redirect will take time...don't give up...it may a week or two... It can be frustrating until they get it...but literally there will be a lightbulb moment and he'll get it... mine all didn't seem to get it and then woke up and were never a problem again..and once he's learned it...its there for life! Unless you "untrain" it...so its worth it to keep at it... I know Tippy would have eaten the house by now if I hadn't used a redirection method.

Try to forget that he's deaf...lol...you'll feel better :)

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
12,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I notice Chili is a bit "shorter fused" when hes hungry too. I know when i'm hungry I get bitchy...I imagine its possible lol

Its also the newness factor with your pup im sure....all my dogs acted out for the first month pretty heavily...Chili bit faces and hands(hard)....Kiwi ate a couch cushion amoung other things...Tippy screamed, hid and ate a baby gate and a wall....Critter bit us...Emma was terrified and peed everywhere from stress ...all that wierd stuff is normal at first...once your pup has the routine down and knows whats expected of him Im sure he'll tone it down A LOT you'd never know that mine all started as pychos if you could see them now..

also try to remember that the redirect will take time...don't give up...it may a week or two... It can be frustrating until they get it...but literally there will be a lightbulb moment and he'll get it... mine all didn't seem to get it and then woke up and were never a problem again..and once he's learned it...its there for life! Unless you "untrain" it...so its worth it to keep at it... I know Tippy would have eaten the house by now if I hadn't used a redirection method.

Try to forget that he's deaf...lol...you'll feel better :)
Yes he just bit my chin and my finger and the finger got punctured a little bit, well scratched deeply. I will definitely continue to redirect, this is what we did after he bit me. It has got to be food LOL he just ate and is relaxed now. I get bitchy when I am hungry ha

1 - 9 of 9 Posts