Dog Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I am a new puppy owner to a wire haired dachshound puppy. we have had her now 5 days. myself and my sister took a week off work just to help her settle in. I don’t want to seem like I am complaining as she has been brilliant with house training so far only a few accidents. And she goes into her crate at night with minimum effort. Myself and my sister are at odds however when it comes her her daytime routine. My sister just keeps saying she is a puppy and I think spoils her a little. She allows her to fall asleep on her all the time but she has a very comfortable bed that I think she should be learning to take her naps in. the problem is when we go back to work (from home) next week we are going to have to listen to constant whining and nipping/ scraping at the chairs from puppy because she wants the attention. is it too early for me to be worrying about this or should we be trying to encourage her to play/nap by herself? Obviously she will receive plenty of love and hugs too ! Thanks

·
Super Moderator
2,733 Posts
At this stage she has just been uprooted from mum and littermates and into a new world, with new people, new rules and a language she doesn't k ow. So, it is just as important to meet her emotional needs as her physical ones and at this stage it is fine to practically wear your puppy.

When you are working, can you do it with her in the room, on your knee or similar?

What is ”minimum effort” for the crate?

To start teaching her independence, you might want to start with the Flitting Game which is explained about ⅔ of the way down this page.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Joanne, thanks for your reply. Yes we will be working with her in the room but i don’t think it would be possible having her on the knee. we work at the kitchen table and when she is on the knee she loves to climb up at your face and have a nose around the table. We will take turns playing with her and giving her some love though, just not possible to do it all the time. Maybe I am just overthinking it. I just don’t want her to be glued to us all the time. ill Have a read of the link above.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts