Dog Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
WOW I need some help. My husband really was excited to bring home a Great Pyrannese puppy as a friend for my 1 year old Lab-pit mix. I know we're only on day 2, but I'm starting to get extremely let down. I have never introduced a puppy to an adult dog and I don't know what to expect/what is normal??

Stash, my lab mix, is well socialized, going to dog parks twice a week and he gets lots of play time and exercise time on his own. He's always been super energetic. He's also pretty well-trained in the basics, he knows sit, lay down, watch me, touch me, paw, other paw, etc. He is kennel trained as well.

I'm still keeping his walking/playing schedule, and even if he's worn out completely, he obsesses over Tela and doesn't leave her alone.
He's been playing with 7-week-old Tela pretty rough. He's obsessed with her, he wants to play with her constantly and doesn't let her explore on her own or play on her own. It's very loud play that sounds worse than it is, but I'm still worried if this is normal. He's obviously very jealous. He hasn't wanted to eat his food since the puppy arrived. He managed to eat maybe a cup and a half today because I hand fed it to him. Is he trying to assert dominance? Or is he just playing too rough? Should I let them hash it out or intervene? I'm so frustrated.

Tela has her own kennel that I put her in for naps. She also has a puppy playpen that I've been using when she's awake and I can't keep my eyes on them constantly (I've got to shower, wash clothes, dishes, sweep, normal daily house duties!!!:p). They both cry when she goes in the playpen. If either myself or my husband get in the playpen to play with her alone, Stash eyes us down jealously even if the other partner is petting him.

Any tips, suggestions, directions to websites, etc. are greatly appreciated.
The rescue we adopted her from told us to basically let them hash it out, once he has asserted himself they will be best of buds. I'm not so convinced. What can I do on my end to speed this up? Is there a better use of the puppy playpen? Help me out, friends. :eek: I need all that I can get if I'm going to make it through this second-puppy thing.

·
Registered
234 Posts
7 week old is pretty young and you'd think she'd earn the puppy pass but as you mentioned there's other factors at play. I've never had more than one dog at a time personally and limited time when young pups have been over but when my pushy bitch was a bit too overzealous with any of the young pups, I did step in and educate my older bitch. I heard the same thing from the owners of the pups...the "just let them work it out" thing. That's okay and all but there comes a point when civil order needed to be maintained especially with a 7 week old pup and I guess that was my job.

I know there are numerous other members who have multi dog families and they will have much better advice than mine.

But, I gotta ask and no big deal....but the rescue center was cool with placing a 7 week pup?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
This is a very reputable rescue in our city. We got our eldest dog from them a bit older, around 8 or 10 weeks I think? She seemed to think it was fine to send her home with us at 7 weeks. She's fully weaned and on a large breed puppy formula, eating and pooping well. Anything you know of that I should be concerned about with her age? I wonder if it's something to do with the breed? I'm not sure???

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Also, I've noticed he doesn't seem to respond well when she yelps or tries to tell him he's doing too much. It is terribly hard to get his attention once he is in overexcited mode around her and very hard to discipline him when he's getting too crazy. He doesn't seem to understand the meaning of calm.

Am I doing the appropraite thing when I separate them when he gets too nuts? He either goes in his kennel with a fun toy or stuffed kong, or Tela goes in her puppy play pen or in her kennel if she looks tired. Am i separating them properly? What else can I do to make this easier? HELP.

·
Registered
234 Posts
I'm trying to imagine the situation as if I would be dealing with it and others in here probably have but with a 1 year old that might be adding another ingredient of adolescence or late adolescence and dogs can become royal pains in the rear at this phase.

Once again, just from someone who has never been in your shoes.....I might tend toward reining in Stash a tad and put his overexuberance into check and restore overall order. I might have Stash tethered to me while I am at home and with indifference I would control the interaction in that manner, gives you more control versus your spoken direction if it is less than effective. I'd make Stash work about more for his liberties as well. I don't know that I would play favorites to the nth degree but what you deem as fair as their leader should be acceptable. And just for the record, I wouldn't be that surprised if Tela is mugging Stash in about a year from now or shortly before that.

Thanks for the answer about the rescue center, it was just my curiosity and changes nothing regarding the fact that this soon to be pup will be a jumbo presence in your family. Good for you taking Tela into your pack.

I think it's up to you to call the shots and doing it with indifference and fairness will ultimately win the day but it needs to be done if they don't naturally gel.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Congrats on your new puppy!

Chrissy (pit) was 7 years old and Ringo (Pit/BC/Cattle Dog) was around 15 months old when I brought home Sophie (Aussie).

I had crates and baby gates and ex-pens. It wasn't pretty, or convenient, but it meant that everyone had their own space to retreat to if they needed to.

With Chrissy and Sophie, I had Sophie on a leash even in the house because Chrissy only tolerated her rambunctious energy for so long, so I'd call Sophie off (take her by the leash if I had to) and reward her for backing off.

With Ringo and Sophie, Ringo was the excited one. He'd never had a puppy around before. He'd play a little to rough, bowl her over, etc., so I'd call him to me and reward him. Sometimes he'd be the one dragging the long line and I'd reel him back and redirect him in the second he'd start to get too aroused. They all had quiet time in their crates with their Kongs.

Right now, Sophie is almost 11 months and is the one with all the energy. She is the one who plays a little too rough (or maybe just differently - she's has a different play style than the other two) and she is always rewarded for walking away from a correction, and has learned that when the other two walk away from her that that means they are done.

It's been constant management, managing arousal levels when they play, giving them "breaks" and one on one time with me, etc., but they coexist nicely now for the most part.

I would definitely step in if your older dog is starting to overwhelm the puppy. I worked on recall and "whiplash turn" (turning right away at the sound of their name) A LOT and now even Sophie will recall during playtime if I need her to. It's only day 2, your puppy is still a very new and exciting addition for your older dog who is basically an adolescent himself.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the video and all the positive comments. It's been very helpful. We'll start working on the whiplash turn on our morning and evening walks.

Keep em comin, I need all the help I can get. I'm starting to feel relieved that I went out and spent $100 on a big playpen for pup. We've had a much calmer evening that we've had since we brought her home yesterday. I think Stash is nice and getting nice and worn out from all of the excitement.

·
Premium Member
10,780 Posts
I don't believe in a puppy pass. I've seen 2 female dogs, one was my dog Jersey, who were the best of friends pair together and attack a puppy that was maybe 6 weeks old. I had heard the puppy crying and took the girls with me when I went to look for it, thinking they would never hurt it and would adopt it. Well they found it first and attacked before I could recall them. The puppy passed away a short time later. Zody, the dog I have now also does not like puppies and if given half a chance I've not a doubt in my mind he'd attack one. So PLEASE do not trust that your dog will not harm the puppy if he gets over aroused.

It's great that you are keeping Stash exercised and giving him plenty of one on one attention. I think that will help enormously once the newness of the puppy wears off. Definitely keep that up.

At this stage never leave them alone together, even if you think that Stash is starting to do better with the puppy. I'm not saying you are just that some would so it's best to err on the side of caution and give the warning.

I agree with redirecting, redirect whichever one is being the rowdy one and won't let the other alone. At the moment it sounds as if that's Stash, but as the Tela gets older I'm betting that she'll start being more of a pest. When you notice that either of them has had enough call the other away and give him or her a few minutes to calm down before letting them go back to playing. If they go back to being to rough or a pest then call them away again. If they do it a third time then it's time to separate them using a crate, babygate, etc. You can give a cue right before you separate them so that they know they are getting to rough or being a pest.

Feed them separately so that Stash does not feel he has to protect his food, and also any high value chews should be feed separately and picked up before letting the dogs back together. I'd also keep an eye out for possessiveness around toys. Most dogs are happy to share those but then you get a brat like my Zody who only wants humans to play with him with toys, no dog is allowed to play with them.

Reactions: Tuckersmom

·
Registered
339 Posts
Now, when my three dogs are loose together and started getting too aroused, all I have to say is "enough." This is after almost a year of constant training and management, long lines, etc. The oldest dog goes straight to her bed, because that is her favorite place, and the other two will come running to me seeking some sort of further direction.

My middle dog had a phase of trying to take whatever toy the puppy had. I'd reward them both - the older dog for bringing me the toy (which I'd put away) and the puppy for not reacting possessively - and then give them each something else to do.

I agree with Rain, not to ever leave them unsupervised (for now) and that it might soon be the puppy (as she matures) that will start becoming a nuisance, lol. Lots of one on one time with you, training and exercise, and supervised playtime, etc. I'm not sure how LSG (like your GP puppy) play vs how your pit/lab play. I know for a fact that my pit mix and my pit/bc/acd play very differently than my Aussie (the two pit mixes play very well together and don't always appreciate the rough, vocal, herding style of my Aussie), so it might just take some supervision.

My older pit mix (soon to be 8) has some same-sex dog aggression so I make sure to never leave she and Sophie alone, especially as Sophie matures.

·
Registered
784 Posts
Isnt it a shock how OTT our dogs get when new pup arrives. Id lay money on you reposting in 10 weeks that your pup wont leave your dog alone? its a very rare dog that will deliberately harm a pup. But clumsy accidents happen. Your dog seems well behaved/safe. When new pups have come here. I use crates so dog n pup get alone time/attention. They both will need a break fro. Each other. They will sort their own relationship out, regardless of your opinion. But i would also intervene BEFORE it gets too hyper. Pups whine in play pens - yeah and? Tough luck, if im busy, id rather pup was crying safely in crate than up to unsupervised play.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Any tips or examples of a feeding schedule? My oldest hasn't been eating much since we got the puppy. I've been trying to hand feed him, but he hasn't been eating because he is so distracted by the puppy. This morning has been hell so far.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
This is going to be much more difficult than I anticipated. Worried about how everyone is going to get enough attention and on a good schedule with my work hours.

·
Registered
784 Posts
Its the same when u have a second baby. You doubt you have enough love, know you dont have enough time, and confident if you tell people what you really feel theyll take all little ones off you. But manage you do-eventually.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Things have gotten much better and easier!!!! Stash has calmed down (somewhat! lol) with the idea of having a new sister around the house. Tela is holding her own during their playtimes. The puppy playpen and my oldest Stash being kennel trained has been a saving grace. Good thing my boss is a dog person and is giving me extra time to run home, and has been working with my schedule so that my husband and I have different days off during this adjustment period so someone is always home 4 days out of the week, and that helps tremendously. Perks of bartending and restaurant shift work.

They are starting to play sweeter together and less rough, I think my oldest is finally understanding how to play with a puppy. When he gets too rough, he gets cool down time in the kennel with a Kong or chew.

AND we've had a few good days with no potty accidents in the house with the little one, so that always makes for a better time :)

I think my cat likes having another dog around too, because my oldest isn't giving him as much unwelcome attention anymore, it's all focused on the puppy!!!

Other exciting news, we've put in for the empty lot next door to our house, so bigger yard for 2 dogs coming soon!!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts