Dog Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We had kind of an eventful day today. Our kids were across the street playing at the neighbours house. Which is pretty typical as they have kids around the same age.

Anyway - I was not there so I am not entirely sure what happened but she got bit by their male dog. The story that I have heard is that they were playing with a foot ball and it went under the big trampoline. Aria crawled under the trampoline to get the ball and was mobbed by their dogs (they have four I think.) one of which bit her on the ear. Not sure if it started out as play and got rough, or if the dog was trying to guard the ball, or just got too worked up with her being on the ground and the other dogs around.

Puncture wound to the ear - bled pretty bad but certainly did not need stitches. I cleaned it up really good and put some antibiotic cream on it (after treating it with peroxide). Will keep an eye on it and if it looks like it is getting an infection we'll take her in to get it looked at.

I feel kind of guilty - for not freaking out? I mean I am obviously concerned but I'm not panicked over it.

The neighbour came right over to apologise and said that he was going to call animal control to come pick the dog up and have the dog put down. Which I don't even feel is necessary.

I'd just want to make sure the dog was penned up before the kids go back over to play.

Starting to feel like maybe I am a terrible parent for my less than ferocious "kill the beast!" attitude.

I guess at this point I'm not really sure how to feel about the situation. Usually their dogs are penned up in a separate part of the yard or in the house so it really never occurred to me to be worried about it.

Has anyone else been in a similar situation?

·
Registered
502 Posts
I think I would feel like you. It doesn't sound at all as if the dog actually attacked her. As dog people we have a better understanding of dogs. Injuries happen, and a good bit of the time, the dog wasn't being aggressive, just overexcited or grabbed the wrong thing. My dogs have broken skin on my younger siblings a time or two, just always just by complete accident. I never even thought twice about it.

·
Registered
2,899 Posts
I think society has become obsessed about control. That if we take certain safety measures nothing bad will ever happen and if something happens someone somewhere must be to blame. The truth is with dogs and most things in life sometimes accidents just happen and I think its great that you recognise that.

Children injure themselves, they fall over, they hit each other you don´t have to go full momma bear every single time. I think that just makes it worse for the kid honestly.

I was bitten by our family dog, didnt break the skin but left a huge bruise. I didnt tell anyone because I knew they would overreact. He was just an adolescent with bad bite inhibition. Even I knew as a 12 year old that he wasn´t being aggressive.

How is your daughter doing? how old is she? Does she know that the neighbours are going to put down the dog?

·
Registered
880 Posts
I feel for you. Trucker has a tendency to get over excited, forget you are human and grab your ear if you are leaning down to grab a ball so I could see how it could happen accidentally if it was multiple dogs and a single kid (dog not knowing he was grabbing kid ear rather than dog ear) were all going for the ball. I think if it was me as the kid I would be more traumatized by knowing a dog got put down for an accident.

I just had this discussion with my mom about how there a some bites that are ACCIDENTS not ATTACKS.

I think you shouldn't feel like a horrible parent for trusting your judgement. I think you know your daughter and you know the dog.

And yes I second @spotsonofbun, how is your daughter?

·
Registered
2,652 Posts
I'd keep an Eye on the wound to be safe. but it doesn't sound that bad. the ears are full of veins, so when you hurt yourself there it bleeds a lot even if it just a minor cut.
If the dog really meant to hurt your daughter, you'd have a whole different problem there. So I think you can trust your judgement as a mother and don't have to feel bad about it.
If you want to help the dog, call your neighbours and talk with them about it.

However if your neighbours feel a bit overchallenged with the dog, It may be good to rehome it.
four dogs plus children in a house seems like a lot.

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
I think your reaction is good, showing that you're a level headed parent who sees nor reason to work up your child over a minor injury, and a kind dog person who doesn't want a dog to die over a small bite. Any dog person knows that if a dog wants to hurt someone, they'll really be hurt! So regardless is this was an excited dog with poor bite inhibition or a resource guarder with decent bite inhibition, it's not a fully dangerous dog. Kids under things and dogs in a dangerous mix. I think you should explain that to your neighbors.

Reactions: TruckersMom

·
Super Moderator
3,746 Posts
Four dogs, a bunch of kids, a trampoline, and a football sounds like an accident waiting to happen.

The lesson to be learned is that the dogs need to be penned up, or if they are with the kids, there needs to be adult supervision. I don't see any reason to call Animal Control and put the dog down based on this single incident.

·
Premium Member
9,240 Posts
Ah what a horrible situation to be in, but I feel I would react like you. As dog people, we tend to downplay incidents that could have been prevented, and really take notice when we see a dog that is actually portraying aggressive behavior. I would really stress to the owners that the dog does not need to be euthanized, just maybe monitored a little better.

Hope your daughter is ok.

·
Premium Member
10,820 Posts
I'd feel the same way and not be to terribly upset about a minor incident and would definitely not want the dog to lose it's life over it.

If the dogs were actually attacking, and daughter was seriously injured, it would be a whole other story as I do not believe in keeping dangerously aggressive dogs alive, but what you describe sounds like nothing more then an accident. Hopefully animal control will rehome the dog rather then putting him down.

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
I applaud your reaction, actually. Too many parents would grab the pitch forks and demand blood, instead you reacted rationally. I'm sure it's because you know these things could happen and maybe even subconsciously thought what kind of reaction you would hope for if it had been reversed and the neighbour's kid with your own dogs.

My dad had the very same reaction when my own dog growing up bit my face, I kissed her while she was sleeping and left a bloody mess and slight scar for life. He also reacted the same when I was thrown to the ground by our neighbour's shepherd - I went into the yard when I shouldn't have. The humans learned a lesson, manly me, but I learned to not wake a sleeping dog, and no matter how well a dog knows you, you do not entire it's territory without ok. Your neighbour's have learned a lesson that a bunch of kids, toys, shouting, and 4 dogs makes for a disaster. Your reaction doesn't make you a bad mom, but a rational one. As @mathilda said if the dog was vicious it would have done a lot more damage then just a bite on the ear.

Reactions: TruckersMom
1 - 10 of 10 Posts