Dog Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
875 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For cost-related reasons I've had to switch Shadow back to a kibble for a while and may have to til hunting season starts up again. She's on 4health, which is a medium-rated brand.

But while her breath is good, and her poops are good, and her coat is SHINY... she's also got a ton of dandruff now! I can only imagine something important is missing from her diet that I need to throw in. Any ideas what it could be?

Bathing her hasn't helped, and she licks off any lotion I put on pretty much instantly, so I'm hoping for a food additive.

·
Registered
455 Posts
Have you tried fish oil? That is supposed to be good for their skin ...aside from that I'm not sure specifically what to suggest.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
5,919 Posts
Bathing her hasn't helped, and she licks off any lotion I put on pretty much instantly, so I'm hoping for a food additive.
Better to use cold pressed coconut oil so if its licked off its ok to eat. Add it to each meal also. Start slow and work up to a tsp so you don't get loose stool.
Keep in mind bathing dries out the skin and coat.

·
Registered
875 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I was told an oatmeal bath would help the dry skin. :( How much coconut oil is to be used?

·
Registered
562 Posts
Sometimes our Tiger gets dandruff, not terribly bad... but when he does, I crack an egg into his food once or twice a week and it clears right up. Quick and easy.

All the dogs are on high quality grain free food though, and are getting fish oil caps with their supper, so I don't have to do the egg thing very often at all, but it does happen periodically.

I did find this site that discusses all the stuff you can put in with their kibble, so hopefully this will help also!

·
Registered
13 Posts
you didn't mention age. when Rocky was in the 3-6 month age he had dandruff, I tried fish oil and didn't see any difference, switched to orijen and haven't seen it since, although it may have been just an age problem.
I also like oatmeal shampoo for dry skin.

·
Registered
875 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Shadow's about nine years old. I'll throw some egg into her food (and maybe a fish cap?) and see what she does.

·
Registered
455 Posts
Work your way up to a teaspoon of coconut oil in her food, redwood. If you put it on her body use as much as you feel is appropriate.
Posted via Mobile Device

1 - 8 of 8 Posts