Dog Forum banner
101 - 120 of 145 Posts

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #101 ·
After the blistering heat of the last few days we now have rain and storms . So we were up and out early while it was dry.

The boys enjoyed a nice long walk in the damp grass and have gone back to sleep now its getting warm again...

·
Administrator
1,202 Posts
I can’t do long walks anymore - certainly not at the moment - and therefore not much opportunity to take part in this thread (I di try to check in when I see it’s been updated though) but yesterday evening, Milly posed for this pic on a bit of grassy verge not far from us.

I think I’ll call it… Butter Wouldn’t Melt. 😁

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #106 ·
It was our turn to be the victims of idiot owners today..

We had such a lovely walk peaceful with just the early sun and the birdsong. Then near to the end of the walk a dog came out of the bushes no owner in sight.. I could tell from the stiff legged gait and the way it held its head it was out for a fight.. It focused in on Murphy and without any further warning it went straight for his throat. OH whipped round ( Murphy was on a lead) and kept the other dog from getting a grip even though it lashed out several times no barking just bare teeth and lunging... We yelled out to the invisible owner to call his dog, then I heard a faint whistle coming form a nearby boat and shouted that we were being attacked.. Instead of getting his dog or apologising, I was treated to a barrage of insults that I cant repeat including the C word...
Then when the guy heard my husband speak English we were treated to a barrage or racist abuse as well.

When the dog returned for a second attack OH gave it a swift kick ( not something I would normally approve of but this was an emergancy) because it had made contact and started to shake at Murphys neck ( we later found Murphys harness had taken the bite) When OH grabbed a log and threw it at the dog it decided it had had enough and went back to the boat it was staying on.
Murphy is unharmed as far as we can tell Ive done three very close checks ( all those curls and thick coat are useful at times) but his harness show teeth marks on the neck strap where the dog bit..

I know it sounds awful but thank goodness it was Murphy, his harness is thicker around the neck than Georges and of course his coat is thick and shaggy so the other dog got harness and fur not skin.

The police are useless here so I didnt bother with them.. I had my camera in my hand at the moment of the attack and without thinking snapped the dog.. Then I took a photo of the boat and Ive made a public FB post so that at least other local owners can see it and steer clear..
The worst thing is we only took this walk today because our normal place has been marked out for a running event and we didnt want to get involved with any of the lycra idiots who jog up your backside and scare the dogs witless.

Murphy is now having a chill out day and I will see if we can meet a couple of dogs he knows tomorrow so that he can see not all dogs are nasty.

·
Registered
828 Posts
Holy #### you poor buggers. Im so thankful none of you were physicaly injured. I hope hes not psychologicaly scarred, youve been working so hard with him.
Im not going to ask breed cause i guess.
Sometimes a kick is essential. I either dislocated or ruptured a dogs knee once, no owner in sight.
Thats fantastic you got a photo to warn others.
Im not gonna talk bout the boat owner cause i would have to bleep everything.
Give murphy a treat from me and jesse

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #108 ·
@Beardogjesse .. I didnt mention breed because yes its stereotyping all dogs of that type and we know a quite a few who are the most lovely dogs, one is Murphys special girlfriend who hes known since he was a tiny pup.

The owner was the typical type too....

·
Registered
828 Posts
@Beardogjesse .. I didnt mention breed because yes its stereotyping all dogs of that type and we know a quite a few who are the most lovely dogs, one is Murphys special girlfriend who hes known since he was a tiny pup.

The owner was the typical type too....
I fully aknowledge i have an intense hatred for certain breed but that stems from deep trauma long before jesses incident which i have tried hard to work through unsuccessfully

·
Super Moderator
5,211 Posts
Sorry to hear this. Honestly, what a catalogue of bad practice. I hope people on Facebook recognise him.

I think I'd be watching for him to leave the boat and discreetly hide an open bag of prawns somewhere that he can't easily find it - and hope for really warm weather.

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #111 ·
Sorry to hear this. Honestly, what a catalogue of bad practice. I hope people on Facebook recognise him.

I think I'd be watching for him to leave the boat and discreetly hide an open bag of prawns somewhere that he can't easily find it - and hope for really warm weather.
:unsure:🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣 stop putting naughty ideas in my head!

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Sorry to hear that happened to all of you, sounds like it was pretty traumatic, I hope you all are able to work through this and especially Murphy. I am just flabbergasted at the behavior of some people, so unfortunate it had to be on your lovely daily stroll. So glad Murphy didn't have any wounds, at least there was less physical trauma. Smh 😔😞

Ozzy had a walk around the car garage parking today and we hung out in a parking lot at my car for a bit while my OH had his tire repaired at the shop early this morning. It wasn't as much a physical exercise walk, but more an outing and car ride. Ozzy got to watch people go into shops, cars at the drive thru. He loves to just watch sometimes too, especially if he's already sniffed around. It's good for his mental excersise too, as I have to guide him around closely at times for safely. I'm glad he's comfortable around people, it was something I really wanted to be able to do- bring him along more often.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Oh and we'll do more later today, that was just an early morning errand that had to be done and Ozzy could help ha!

And @Mad Murphy I'm glad you have the opportunity to bring Murphy around some friends today, I hope all goes well and you all have a nice visit 😊

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #114 ·
This morning we had a walk in total isolation just us and the birds , Murphy was calm and happy he had a prize stick to carry and trotted along with his tail held high...
Hopefully as we kept everything calm yesterday he hasnt been too upset by it all.

·
Registered
828 Posts
This morning we had a walk in total isolation just us and the birds , Murphy was calm and happy he had a prize stick to carry and trotted along with his tail held high...
Hopefully as we kept everything calm yesterday he hasnt been too upset by it all.
Im so happy to read this

·
Registered
828 Posts
Nothing to say bout jesses walks. Theyve been pretty lame. Lately he sleeps 3/4 of day and is lame very quick on walk and tired in pram so walks have been fairly quick for what we normaly do

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #117 ·
Whoooo hooo... Im cheering... OH has finally got the hang of the 3D's hes realising that he needs to wait until the bikes are near but not too near then put Murphy into a sit so that he can offer the distraction as the bike passes... He was panicking and making him sit far too soon offering the distraction too late or missing the point all together but today went perfectly which is just as well because it was madness out there this evening there were bikes and joggers everywhere and OH got it right each time so Murphy didnt react to a single one....

Weve now talked about the next stage on this training journey to get Murphy to carry on walking as the bikes pass with a special treat to keep him focused and OH is really up for it!

Now if OH's training keeps going well we should have man and dog working as a team pretty soon!

·
Registered
828 Posts
Had a beautiful walk in the rain today and in the rain yesterday. I love walking in the rain cause we're the only ones and and its sooo peaceful and jesses safely off leash most of it cause no one seems to walk there dogs in the rain here

101 - 120 of 145 Posts