Dog Forum banner

21 - 40 of 43 Posts

·
Super Moderator
3,612 Posts
After non stop rain for about 5 days, there was a brief break in the weather this morning.

I don't think Timber is very impressed at being photographed today though, it is cold for standing still. Its hard to make out but the stream behind him is running high.

20210207_111136.jpg

·
Registered
975 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
After non stop rain for about 5 days, there was a brief break in the weather this morning.

I don't think Timber is very impressed at being photographed today though, it is cold for standing still. Its hard to make out but the stream behind him is running high.

View attachment 249253
Very smart coat.. and very sensible in this weather.

·
Registered
975 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
We had predictions of extreme weather this morning but it actually wasn't too bad , the wind was very chilly( -13) though so Murphy and George had their coats on and we got our long underwear out!

·
Registered
975 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
So guess who likes snow?
George, coats and paw wax were a must but he got outof the car and headed for the deepest snow to jump and dig and roll in , we had to stop him before he froze! The boys had a great time , the common was empty so we had it all to ourselves.

·
Registered
442 Posts
So guess who likes snow?
George, coats and paw wax were a must but he got outof the car and headed for the deepest snow to jump and dig and roll in , we had to stop him before he froze! The boys had a great time , the common was empty so we had it all to ourselves.
Does this wax leave a coating? Matt up the hair? If it's not freezing out (-20), the snow sticks to Ozzy's hair and creates large snowballs or iceballs, I was thinking of trying cooking spray.....

He has to wear boots on the side of the street (too dirty, salty), but it would be nice to go bare foot on a walking path....

Ozzy loves the snow too! At times we are just walking along and he suddenly starts rolling and rubbing in the snow, shoving his face in it like it's something stinky/dirty, putting on a big show lol. He did it yesterday, somebody shovelling calls out "He likes the snow!".

·
Registered
442 Posts
Told you urban scenery is not pretty, but here Ozzy is jogging on the sidewalk. At least it's free off dirty car exhaust and stuff.

20210208_094136.jpg

Not too much going on this morning except recycling collection. But Ozzy's just so excited just to get out :p

·
Registered
975 Posts
Discussion Starter #29 (Edited)
@Schnauzaluv The paw wax is just a simple grease made with beeswax not sure about putting it anywhere but on the paws...
This morning is much more walk friendly its -3 and the wind has dropped to nearly nothing. Its sunny so walking it great fun.
We headed off into the woods and saw deer hare and other smaller tracks possibly tree martins and of course lots of little bird tracks all scattered in the snow.

collage(4).jpg

·
Registered
442 Posts
Wow deer and hare! That's so cool! We have a bunny or bunnies around cuz I see tracks, but I haven't seen any this year yet. Ok thanks, so I guess the wax just goes on the pads? I'll stick with the boots I guess.

Lol Joanne, I love that vid!! Welcome to winter wonderland! Ozzy does the same and makes everyone laugh. I wanted to get a vid of him rolling around as well, but didn't catch it yet. I love to see the pups out come first snow fall.

And everyone has nice coats to protect from the cold :cool:

·
Registered
975 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
It was really cold this morning -8 but that didnt put us off. We headed off to the woods coats and paw wax and we had a lovely time. The sun shone and it was almost springlike..If you didnt look at the snow!

The boys had great fun tracking things in the snow and Murphy got a bit of a shock when some got in his ear!

·
Registered
975 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
Subzero Saturday... -9c but there was no wind and some sun so it felt a lot nicer , still we kept it sensible and didnt go too far.
I am thinking of new coats for the boys, these coats are ok for rainy days and fleece lined but they are a bit cheap and cheerful.. Any suggestions of a coat that is waterproof , warm can be worn with a harness and doesnt cost the earth would be welcome.

·
Super Moderator
3,612 Posts
We love the Equafleece coats. I am surprised at their water proof qualities, but they do work - wet on the outside but dry inside. You do need a snug fit though.

·
Registered
442 Posts
It's not expensive (30$) and maybe not what you are looking for, but this is by far my favorite coat for Ozzy. It's a padded fleece puffer with outerwear material like a regular coat. I think it might get wet in rain, but it works really well in cold winter weather which I am familiar with all too well.

What I like the most is the convenience of an integrated harness and it's very easy to get on with a zupper. It's shaped well too for a dog, good fit.
Subzero Saturday... -9c but there was no wind and some sun so it felt a lot nicer , still we kept it sensible and didnt go too far.
I am thinking of new coats for the boys, these coats are ok for rainy days and fleece lined but they are a bit cheap and cheerful.. Any suggestions of a coat that is waterproof , warm can be worn with a harness and doesnt cost the earth would be welcome.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
3,612 Posts
I didn't have my phone today, so no photos. But it wasn't a pleasant walk.

The snow that fell during the week has been compacted by people walking on it, then the sub zero temperatures have frozen the surface solid. So everywhere is like a skating rink. On a slope.

We actually had to turn back at one point and change our route as it wasn't worth the risk of trying to walk.

One of my friends had what she described as a ”proper Tom and Jerry” fall, and has badly broken her arm.

·
Registered
975 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
I didn't have my phone today, so no photos. But it wasn't a pleasant walk.

The snow that fell during the week has been compacted by people walking on it, then the sub zero temperatures have frozen the surface solid. So everywhere is like a skating rink. On a slope.

We actually had to turn back at one point and change our route as it wasn't worth the risk of trying to walk.

One of my friends had what she described as a ”proper Tom and Jerry” fall, and has badly broken her arm.
Ouch and double ouch.
we also get idiots in cars who like to spin their wheels and polish the ice like glass.

Today the sunshine has melted some of the snow but tonight it will freeze again into black ice so tomorrow will be very dodgy

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
We have had minus 40 at night. (Same temperature farrenheit and Celsius) and only warming up to -35 during the day so no walking. Dogs only going out long enough to do their business and back inside. This morning finally warmed up tp -25C so can go outside a little longer and the rest of the week warming up although still freezing out. Have had a relatively mild winter till now so can't complain.

21 - 40 of 43 Posts