Dog Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
979 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last year we had a similar thread and I thought it might be nice to do the same this year , a place where we can share our daily adventures and have a rant at cyclists, rubbish, poo bags fails etc... All the things we encounter on our daily outings.

Please join in add photos routes planning anything you like but lets get a bit of community going, help each other along on the days when we just feel like pulling the blankets back over our heads and cheer on those with ambitious plans.

·
Super Moderator
515 Posts
Last year we had a similar thread and I thought it might be nice to do the same this year , a place where we can share our daily adventures and have a rant at cyclists, rubbish, poo bags fails etc... All the things we encounter on our daily outings.

Please join in add photos routes planning anything you like but lets get a bit of community going, help each other along on the days when we just feel like pulling the blankets back over our heads and cheer on those with ambitious plans.
I missed the thread last year, but seems like a good idea.

I intend to take Milly to a secure field, either when lockdown lifts, or when I finally figure out where I'm going wrong with the registration process, so will be taking my phone then, as it'll be great to see her off leash and having fun. :D

·
Registered
979 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So January was a bit of a wash out as far as good walks went it rained for about 28 our of the 31 days! On one of our walks we got so bogged down I nearly lost a wellington boot and George gave me such a salty look he was mortified at getting so muddy,, George is a beagle and he doesnt do baths!

So far February has been crisp and cold which is ideal for walking, we are currently doing two walks a day in order to avoid people and because our evening walk is after curfew we can only go round the block. So mornings we do about 4-6km at various locations and our afternoon walk is another 4km normally we do the same one each day a long path between the fields passing the windmill we see a few bikes and a few runners but theres no traffic and no casual walkers out there..
These are the guys who form my social bubble, OH hes the scruffy one in the big coat.. Murphy black and white Staby and George the beagle(ish).. Over to you

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
515 Posts
My girls get five walks a day, although three of them are pavement walks. Usually we wait until 7pm-ish to go for longer walks currently, as that's when it's most likely to be quiet, although yesterday we managed a decent 40min or so on the field without too much trouble. The same time the day before that, there were two groups of at least five, one crowded around what I presume was a pushchair, the other just walking, but in my direction. I'm antisocial at the best of times, especially when I'm walking the girls -, I don't "do" people, so I turned back in something of a huff. 😚 😁

·
Registered
135 Posts
I'm glad you're social enough to stay on this forum! People can definitely be overwhelming but who needs people when you've got pets.

·
Super Moderator
515 Posts
I'm glad you're social enough to stay on this forum! People can definitely be overwhelming but who needs people when you've got pets.
Thank you. :)

Online is different. I've always been better with the written word than the spoken word.

·
Registered
979 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well what a difference a day makes. Weve gone from -7 on Monday to -5 yesterday to +6 today but with the warmer weather comes the rain and now we have that awful weather we call triest ( sad gloomy depressing).

However its not all bad the ice on the lake is covered by the rain and is now misting in the most beautiful but eery fashion so that was nice to watch. By the way has anyone here hear ice sing?

I mentioned this on my dogs FB page the other day after Murphy and George got spooked by hearing the ice sing and many people said they have never heard it.. If not you might like this video the 'singing' starts about 30 secs in. Its lovely to stand and listen to this on a cold frosty morning..

·
Super Moderator
3,639 Posts
A horrible morning here - cold, driving rain in a strong wind.

I don't mind cold, but I'm not keen on the driving rain.

Out here somewhere there is apparently a humpback whale. There have been numerous sightings (just not by me).

20210203_105935.jpg

·
Super Moderator
515 Posts
A horrible morning here - cold, driving rain in a strong wind.

I don't mind cold, but I'm not keen on the driving rain.

Out here somewhere there is apparently a humpback whale. There have been numerous sightings (just not by me).

View attachment 249194
Same here, except here it's drizzle, but driven by a cold wind. Neither of mine particularly like it, so it's more walks round the block and toilet break walks for us. Honey isn't so bad. She takes one look and goes back upstairs. Can't say I blame her 😁. Milly's sulking because she's bored (she has a frozen Kong in the freezer for later and soon I'll be playing Find It with them both and maybe some more 1-2-1 training, but right now, she's sulking).

·
Registered
448 Posts
My Ozzy pup just LOVES to be outside and he's going for his walks rain, cold or shine lol. He doesn't really let me not take him, at least I cave in and push myself no matter what. We just have to dress for the occasion (sometimes Ozzy is not a fan of wearing a suit, but i know he appreciates it more than being wet, cold and dirty whether he realises it or not 😂)

We are just out of a major cold snap, my nose actuality hurt to breathe it in, but Ozzy was gung ho on going for his walks anyway haha! It's warmed up now a bit again (thank you). I don't usually take pics while out on a walk (urban scenery isn't pretty), but I'll be bringing my phone now just in case! This is this morning, his harness vest and his boots 😙
20210203_112541.jpg

·
Registered
979 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Id love to see a whale. Or some seals, they do frequent our shoreline although with George howling like a banshee Id be lucky to get a glimpse of a tail fin.

Today was shopping day for me which is always stressful even without covid I hate shopping , but to make up for it as soon as I got home we did a lovely walk round the grounds of a local manorhouse/hotel.. I see the crocuses and snowdrops are starting to come up and the woodpeckers were hammering away at the trees like bongo players.

Sure signs of spring.. ( she says foolishly)

·
Super Moderator
3,639 Posts
Another grey day in the Kingdom.

I don't think it has stopped raining for three days. The ground is sodden everywhere around, the streams are running high and it is not my favourite weather. I have no problem with cold weather but this rain is just miserable!

20210205_112235_001.jpg

·
Registered
979 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
We went on what we expected would be a standard walk in the woods. But George got very excited snuffling and turning in circles like a demon. Then we saw a fresh kill site, a heap of grey feathers quite possibly a heron.
Behind us there was the stealthy crack of a twig, George whipped round to look . Murphy dropped stick that he had been carrying for kilometres and stood alert and tense. Then emerging like a rocket from the undergrowth a fox it sped past and vanished into the bushes.

Although people say there are foxes in this area it is still very rare to see one and they have not yet invaded the towns as they have done in major cities like London.
Spotting a fox turned an ordinary walk into a very exciting one.

·
Registered
979 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
The weather forecast last night was dire, we were expected to be in arctic conditions , knee deep in snow with yetis peeping over every hedgerow. Well its grey and chilly but no arctic, no snow and of course no yetis..
Although Murphy thought he had found the great white whale and no amount of telling would convince him otherwise, he barked and growled at the intruder on our walk today..
IMG_1903 - kopie.JPG

·
Registered
979 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Slight ammemdment to yesterdays walk.. Cast your eyes over this ( very grainy) picture.. It seems to be a deer carcass, I kwew it was something odd laying there in the field but didnt really look at the photo until last night.
IMG_1862 (2).JPG

As the crow flies 10 km from this photo a wolf was spotted.. Could the glimpse of the 'fox' we saw actually have been the wolf? It was just a fleeting glimpse of a dog type animal with a bushy tail.. Thrilled if it was.

·
Super Moderator
3,639 Posts
I didn't have my phone out today as it was charging. But just re-read my post from yesterday, there's little change here.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts