Dog Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
We have no yard, so all outside time is walks (leashed or to off-leash areas).

Our schedule varies by the week depending on our work schedules, but I work from a lot so that makes life easier usually.

7-8 AM: morning pee walk with SO
somewhere 9-11: morning off-leash walk with me
some time mid-day we might do a brief training session and at some point she'll usually get a chew toy (bully stick, antler, frozen kong, etc)
3-7 PM (depending on time of year, earlier in the winter, later in the longer days) -- second off-leash walk with me
7 - 10: another brief training session if she's restless
10:30 - 11:30: Evening pee walk with SO

I purposely keep her routine flexible so that she doesn't become a fixated clock. She free feeds unless we have another dog staying with us so meal times aren't fixed. Sometimes she'll join SO for a run instead of one of her off-leash walks. Really busy days she may juts get a single off-leash walk in the middle of the day. It really depends on our schedules and her energy level that day. She's only 15 months so she's still quite erratic -- some days she's happy to snooze and others she's bouncing off the walls. So we treat each day as it comes and give more walks/training sessions as needed.

·
Premium Member
4,613 Posts
Oh man, my schedule is going to seem verrrrry relaxed:

Husband takes them out to pee when he wakes up, usually around 5:30. Then me and the dogs usually hang out until 6:30 in bed.

Breakfast for Levi is right around 7, and for Heidi closer to 9. (She's just not a morning eater, so I don't both anymore).

Then our morning is roughly like this:
Each dog gets about 15-20 minutes of training throughout the morning, and each dog gets a 30 minute, highly structured training walk.

Then I do some work (or workout) and the dogs chill.

Then we eat lunch around noon.

The afternoon consists of another ~15 - 20 minutes of training and then some fairly heavy off-leash exercising time.

Dinner is at 6, and then play time and another walk since they are VERY excited when the hubby comes home.

Tuesday evenings Levi comes with me as a demo dog to training class, and Wednesdays he has agility.

Reactions: Sabina88

·
Registered
442 Posts
Our schedule varies pretty significantly from day to day. On days that I work morning, I usually get up shortly before work, get ready, and they go on the way to my Mom's (parents house is right behind ours, Annie spends the day there, Bus goes to work with me and spends that time kenneled with breaks to "go") dogs get exercised in the afternoon/evening. Days I work evening, they may get exercised before I go, depending on when we wake up and whether it is cool enough in summer. If not, I don't worry because we bike most evenings when it's not too cold, and I try to sneak in some playing ball for Bus along the way if he hasn't had any time earlier. When the weather's nice, we're outside a good bit, Annie just ambles around the yard, Bus usually plays ball, tugs on the springpole, or swims, but occasionally I make him just relax in one spot while I'm doing stuff.

Annie eats twice a day, Bus usually eats once in the evening since his exercise schedule is unpredictable. Annie needs to go out to pee every hour or so because she's old and has kidney disease, Bus can go 12 hours no problem, but usually gets out at least 3 or 4 times a day. Weather permitting, I take Bus with me a lot of places and he stays in the car (in warmer months, I do most of my shopping at night because of this) because he gets into stuff when I leave him at my Mom's and I hate to crate him there or leave him by himself at my house after he spends part of the day kenneled already.

·
Banned
1,222 Posts
His mealtimes are pretty set, but that's it. The rest is dynamic. Glad that spring is here so we can spend some good days in the park, all of us can burn off the layer of winter fat.

Weekdays, i'll run him through the trails unleashed, no set times, but on weekends we do 2 hours a day at the dog park. This weekend I'm hoping to take him to a friends farm to do some mousing, that's what he loves.

·
Registered
562 Posts
My partner and I work shift work so we don't really have a set daily routine. It can vary a lot. We have Agility on Monday and Tuesday nights, a tracking meet once a week (day varies), and Rally on Sunday. Starting a scent detection class with Abby soon- so far I've just been doing stuff with her at home.

We have three acres fenced in so we always play some fetch and the girls chase each other around for a bit. They each get walked on leash for 30 minutes a day, and we almost always go for an hour hike through the surrounding woods and fields. Sometimes if I'm working a stretch of nights I don't always make it into the woods though.

And throughout the day I practice tricks or rally or whatever. Even if it's literally two minutes.

I also Dremel 2-3 times a week and do canine conditioning exercises 3-4 times. Again, sometimes the sessions are very brief.

·
Registered
13 Posts
We have quite a fixed routine here, mainly because I work best on a routine and also because it seems to work well for Berry too.

6.30am - up, let Berry out into yard, toilet and check any new smells. Then its inside for attention and cuddles with me, then she settles down on my lap while I watch some TV. About 8ish we both have some breakfast. When she was younger we would play/train for up to an hour in this time slot but now she's all grown up she prefers to get some extra rest and cuddles

9.00am - Morning off leash walkies about 1hr

10.00am - Berry goes in her crate while I do whatever jobs I need to do that day. Berry is housetrained and isn't destructive but if I leave her out she thinks she has to look after the house while I'm either out or occupied doing something, she barks at everything to let me know of the threat! Its not separation anxiety its just her 'guarding' the house while I'm not there or not paying attention. She doesn't do this when I'm in the same room but she doesn't care about any noises when she's in her crate alone, she just sleeps so we have kept her crate as she seems happier and calmer with it than without

1.30pm - leashed walkies about 45mins I'm not too strict with leash rules as long as she's not pulling I let her stop and sniff whenever she likes as long as we don't take up the whole path doing it. Couple of minutes training when we get in and then a small food puzzle. From about 3pm on Berry naps, lies down and stares out the patio doors, chews antlers etc, mainly just rests or sleeps

5.00pm - Grooming time, fetch, training, jump on daddy when he gets home and then dinner

6.00pm - Berry in crate while I cook and hubby and I eat dinner

7.00pm - Leashed walkies about 25mins with both me and hubby

7.30pm - Settles down with us for evening

10.00pm - big fuss from us and last toilet in the yard, sleeps in her crate in our bedroom until morning!

Berry is so much calmer than a year ago, between walks, play, training and food she is happy to just relax until the next activity. Before she was 'on' or 'off' but she has finally found her 'standby' mode and it makes life much easier.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Weekends are totally random, food happens and 7:30am & pm.. ish. Otherwise play it by ear. Try and get to the park both Sat & Sun, but sometimes don't.

During the week;

7am - wake up, quick 10-15min walk.
7:30ish - breakfast, then we play a bit, do some minor 2-3 minute training in between me getting ready for work.
8:15 - I leave for work, leave Tucker with a kong wobbler with treats and free reign of the house. (Tuesday's he does daycare)
5:30-6 - home from work. Longer walk 30mins - 1hour depending on route. Now that it's light out passed 6:30 will probably start going to the dog park.
7:30 - dinner, rest of night is spent playing, training, or Tucker gets a chew and I read or watch TV.
9:30 - 5-10 walk for a pee.
11pm - Bed. (Tucker usually falls asleep on the couch or at my feet around 10 though)

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
weekdays:

9-10 am out in yard (big yard next to busy street so she`s entertained)

10 am breakfast

10 am - 5 pm sleep (she really likes her day-nap ... she comes inside, has breakfast and goes to sleep instantly. if you come home too early from work she looks at your groggily from the couch as if "why you home so early human, let me sleep")

5pm - 9pm romp around yard (she really likes being outside)

dinner is usually around 7-9, depending on day

9pm - 10 pm walk

she gets pets/attention/short training sessions and play whenever im home

////

weekends vary. I try to go out of city with her as often as possible and do wild off-leash hikes. We visit family pretty often too and she loves travelling.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts