Dog Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently moved into a townhouse that my dad owns, he's renting it to me since he moved to Hawaii. While he settles in, I agreed to watch his animals until he's able to have them flown there. His dog, an Australian Shepard/Pointer mix, has always been a super friendly and loving dog. She's about 4 and they had her potty pad trained. I however am trying to get her into going outside and waiting until someone is home/awake to do so. My dog (a 5 year old Neapolitan Mastiff) is trained, so I've been having her try to lead by example, but it isn't working. We've had her for a little over a month with us, and nearly every morning, we wake up to her "messes" even though we take her out right before we go to sleep and don't leave food out overnight for her to eat. It's even gotten to the point to where we'll go out shopping and come home to her "messes". I'm wondering if it's merely her having to go or some kind of informal protest to something. It's at the point to where something has to be done, such as sleeping in a bedded kennel or in our backyard. I'm not sure if these are the best solutions or what exactly to do, but that's why I'm posting here. Any information, ideas, or personal experience is greatly appreciated! Thank you!

·
Registered
5,884 Posts
A kennel or crate is a great idea!

Potty training isn't exactly just training...It's a habit. In order to "potty train", you basically have to make it habit for the dog to go outside. Once the habit is established, the vast majority of dogs will not potty inside unless something is wrong or they just can't hold it anymore. It's stressful and uncomfortable because the habit to go outside is so ingrained.

Because it's a habit, you can't form it without management and routine. If he is allowed to potty inside, then the habit will never form the good habit of going outside. Prevention is key.

A crate is a great way to manage him when you can't watch him. Dogs naturally do not want to potty where they eat or sleep. They don't want to potty in a place where they have to sleep or where they can't get away from it.

·
Registered
434 Posts
If your father's dog has been trained to go on pads for 4 years, and she's going to go back to him, I would just put down pads...

Has your dad asked you to do outside potty training with her?

Potty training teaches the dog to hold it, and your dads dog has not been taught that, so it could be a while before she 'gets' it...

·
Registered
29 Posts
Sort of off topic, but being that I live in Hawaii, I thought I might offer some info about having your dad's dog shipped over. Hawaii has a very strict quarantine process, which is normally 45 days. However, if you or another relative is willing to take the time (and most likely money) to have the dog certified with the proper paperwork from I believe about 2 months before the arrival date up until the dog arrives on Hawaii soil than the quarantine process can be waived. The owners are allowed to visit the dogs during the quarantine process, but they are not allowed to bring the dogs outside of the quarantine area.

I don't have any handy links or more helpful information, but it's something your dad might want to research to prevent the dog from being separated too long. I believe the quarantine process can be waived if the origin of the dogs flight is from Australia and a few other countries that have strict rabies policies.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts