Dog Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Banned
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dachshunds are the only breed that has its own category outside of the US. Their grouping in Europe is not hound or terrier, but is group 4 Dachshund.

The Dachshund is aggressive and strong willed, but loyal and affectionate. A dog.

Labs and such are only "Stepford" dogs. Not real dogs, but bots.

What should a perfect dog be? Something that lives in a purse? Something that can't act without your lead? Or a totally independent being that follows nothing of what you say but wants to be with you always.

Many folks hate Dachshunds, maybe because of ignorance or hate of anything German. I don't see how any true dog lover would not love a Dachshund.

·
Registered
875 Posts
I have yet to encounter anyone who hates dachshunds, never mind 'because they hate anything German'.

The perfect dog is the dog that suits a person's income, household, living environment, and needs. For some people that's a doxie. For some people it's a 250 pound Irish Wolfhound. My perfect dog is NOT a dachshund, as I have stairs in my house and don't feel the need to cause back problems on a dog. If your perfect dog is a dachshund, I hope you have, or will find, the perfect one for you.

·
Registered
893 Posts
I'm not sure if you just like to get a rise out of people, but the whole Labs aren't dogs or comparing them to gas guzzling SUV's is getting a bit old now. We get it, you don't think Labs are "real" dogs. Do you just sit there and just hate on Labs or did something happen to you to make you so against them? It's pretty simple really, don't ever get one and let the people who do like them have fun with their dogs. Enough with the Lab-hating and just get over it.

Labs (and many other breeds) are used for so many important things; seeing eye dogs, service dogs, PTSD dogs, bomb sniffing dogs, drug sniffing dogs, SAR dogs, therapy dogs, etc.

I don't see how any true dog lover would not love a Dachshund.
I don't see how any true dog lover would not love all dogs. Doesn't matter if the breed is for you or not, they are all dogs and should be respected as such.

·
Banned
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Google "I hate dachshunds" and you can see plenty of people hating on Dachshunds. Dachshunds in the US were nearly wiped out during WWI. Killed in the streets with rocks. It was legal and applauded.

People that have true working dogs are excluded from this comment, but most people have dogs that are brain-dead leaches. Dachshunds survived the WW1 purge, because they are true dogs. Not frilly, dependent, accessories or unemployed working dogs.

·
Registered
875 Posts
Ah yes, because commentary on the internet invalidates my statement that I've never encountered anyone who does such a thing.

I do have to admit you've made an excellent effort at being a dog-'loving' forum troll, even if your 'facts' are googleable as hyperbole at best and blatant myth at worst.

·
Registered
893 Posts
I'm 100% sure that if you googled "I hate (insert breed/animal/person) here, things will come up for that too. Many dog breeds were almost wiped out at one point or another. Many dogs are killed and abused everywhere. What's your point?
I feel sorry for you living with so much hate in your heart.

·
Banned
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm not sure if you just like to get a rise out of people, but the whole Labs aren't dogs or comparing them to gas guzzling SUV's is getting a bit old now. We get it, you don't think Labs are "real" dogs. Do you just sit there and just hate on Labs or did something happen to you to make you so against them? It's pretty simple really, don't ever get one and let the people who do like them have fun with their dogs. Enough with the Lab-hating and just get over it.

Not hating. Labs are real dogs, but not so real as to outnumber the next 3 breeds combined. Kind of like Miley Cyrus being popular, but not really being a good artist. Lessor artists (dog breeds?) are ignored while the Lab reigns.
I think that is stupid.

·
Banned
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'm 100% sure that if you googled "I hate (insert breed/animal/person) here, things will come up for that too. Many dog breeds were almost wiped out at one point or another. Many dogs are killed and abused everywhere. What's your point?
I feel sorry for you...
My point is that I don't think other dog breeds have been decimated due to bigotry in the way that Dachshunds were. I also don't thing that the Dachshunds rebound to be a consistently popular dog is due to anything other than its unbelievable true dog qualities. GSD, Staffordshire Bull Terrier, Dachshund are all great dogs. The rest are tools. Good tools, but still tools.

·
Super Moderator
3,837 Posts
Ah yes, because commentary on the internet invalidates my statement that I've never encountered anyone who does such a thing.

I do have to admit you've made an excellent effort at being a dog-'loving' forum troll, even if your 'facts' are googleable as hyperbole at best and blatant myth at worst.
Now, THIS is a funny post!!!! Redwood, so true. Thanks for a good laugh. :thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
10,780 Posts
Yes but as many dachshunds as labs are untrained, fat, and badly bred with horrid dispositions, as labs. So are those dachshunds tools, a good tool, but still a tool? What about my boy? He's a Chi x Dach, so is he only half quintessential dog and the other half just a tool? He's smart, obedient, but definitely has a mind of his own and thinks for himself.

Dachshunds are a great breed but only for the right owner.

·
Premium Member
4,599 Posts
After several posts, I think it is safe to say, we should stop feeding the troll.

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
................The Dachshund is aggressive and strong willed, but loyal and affectionate. A dog.

Labs and such are only "Stepford" dogs. Not real dogs, but bots.

What should a perfect dog be? Something that lives in a purse? Something that can't act without your lead? Or a totally independent being that follows nothing of what you say but wants to be with you always.

Many folks hate Dachshunds, maybe because of ignorance or hate of anything German. I don't see how any true dog lover would not love a Dachshund.
There are so many things wrong with those statements, I don't even know where to begin. The first sentence is correct, but when connected to the last and suggesting this is what makes a perfect dog... I for one, disagree.

I never want to own a dog that shows aggression...Ever, Period.

Also because of my bad back, I don't want a high energy dog, nor one so short I have to bend over to pet it and I also don't want one crawling on my lap because I also have a bad leg. So give me a tall, mild manner dog, any day over a yappy, high energy, territorial shorty like a Dachshund. (or any other short dog for that matter) And yes, in the past, I have owned tiny/short dogs...that were yappy, high energy critters (but not aggressive) and at that time in my life they were the perfect dog for me...but things change.

Also... What Era are your fantasies locked into? ! Way. Back. When...there were probably some dogs killed for being associated with the enemy. But real dog lovers were not the ones doing it. It was people who probably enjoyed doing that kind of stuff anyway and gave themselves a good reason.

The German hating that went on in WWI and WWII has faded into nothing for the majority of those in the USA. I doubt anyone connects the Dachshund with Germany, because most people are not that well informed about dog breeds... In fact... most would probably think 'DUTCH' not Germany when it comes to those dogs just based upon the sound of the name.

On the other hand, I think even those uneducated in dog breeds would be 100 percent in agreement that the uh.... German Shepherd is a German bred dog...and there's not a lot of hate out there for those dogs. The Doberman also...many would probably connect it to Germany just based on old movies and tv series they've seen showing this dog in WWII Pow camps, etc...

Labs have a long history of being good family dogs, helping to stock the larder with goose and ducks during hunting seasons, watching over families and alerting them to prowlers, and later on becoming excellent service dogs for the blind and deaf, police work, and other civic/military duties, such as sniffing out bombs, drugs, and finding injured or dead people in disaster settings. They are not bots by any means...and you obviously are not familiar with the breed if you can make such an asinine statement.

The perfect dog is not any one breed, and you are doing a vast injustice to the breed you love by not seeing that what makes it a great dog for some, makes it a terrible dog to have for other people. And by making rude comments about other breeds that people do love, you alienate people and will do nothing to further the cause of the Dachshund...you will just make people dislike it because they dislike you for insulting breeds they like.

Btw, I own a slightly retarded Golden Retriever, I named HaHa. He was born with some learning issues and I can't teach him some things, but even so, he still is smart in other ways. When I was crying once, he brought me most of his toys and laid them at my feet. I have never ever seen a dog show such concern. It could have been a scene produced for the show Lassie...it was that sweet. I've had smarter dogs but never one so tuned into the emotions of the people around them.

I also have a Australian Shepherd mix, named Jaya, that is emotionally stunted, almost feral due to the abuses she suffered from a former owner. I can't reach out an pet her, she'll run. But I have been getting a great self-satisfaction in seeing my efforts in taming her slowly take effect. Jaya may never be totally tame, but I'm proud of her, proud she's been able to work past her fear and learn to come when I call her, and she does crave being near me now, as she follows me around and lays down near my feet... I just can't try to reach for her or she runs.

Neither of my dogs are perfect. But for me, at my point in life, they are the perfect dogs for me.

Stormy

Reactions: Sabina88 and Rain
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.